the home of the turntable

Your Top 3 Recommended Vinyl Albums

name that tune

Your Top 3 Recommended Vinyl Albums

Postby reynolds617 » 28 Aug 2017 19:06

Stealing a bit from the "High Fidelity" game the employees of Championship Vinyl would engage in, I thought I'd start a new thread which will hopefully be A. fun and B. help the members of this community expand their musical horizons and discover new vinyl worth tracking down.

The premise is simple: Pretend everyone reading this thread is starting a vinyl collection and share 3 titles which you believe are not just great albums, but albums which sound especially great on vinyl. Feel free to share as much or as little as you like, but I think it'll be more interesting to hear WHY you're recommending these records. to make it easy, I'll start with a template you can reuse to keep things consistent. Have fun, I'm looking forward to reading everyone's responses.

1. Title:
Artist:
Pressing info:
Why I picked it:

2. Title:
Artist:
Pressing info:
Why I picked it:

3. Title:
Artist:
Pressing info:
Why I picked it:

EXAMPLE:
1. Title: Greatest album ever
Artist: Flop
Pressing info: 1st UK pressing serial#: 459643A-34 (no need to track down serial #, but extra credit for specifics, especially if it matters to why you're recommending this title since the 180G repress released last year may sound terrible by comparison).
Why I picked it: Not a bad track on the album which is always preferable when dealing with vinyl, drums really shine, and sounds fantastic played loud. A real hidden gem of the genre which never achieved the success it deserved, etc. etc. This pressing in particular really engages the listener. I have three other copies but none can equal this one because of XYZ. There will obviously be a lot of variance here, but I'm looking for your opinion. Why do you recommend this for a music lover with a turntable?
Rega Planar 3 (2016), white belt
Hana EH cartridge
Funk Firm Achromat
Rogue Sphinx V2 integrated amp
KEF LS50 (white/blue) speakers
HIFIMAN HE-400i headphones
reynolds617

United States of America

Re: Your Top 3 Recommended Vinyl Albums

Postby billshurv » 30 Aug 2017 11:28

Not sure I could pick 3 from 1200, sorry.
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby reynolds617 » 30 Aug 2017 14:03

Seems you're not alone. Unfortunately, I do not have the ability to delete the thread.
Hana EH cartridge
Funk Firm Achromat
reynolds617

United States of America

Postby Veggie Boy » 30 Aug 2017 14:32

No wait...I like the concept. I've just been so busy lately I haven't had time to write up a proper response. I have thousands of albums too but I could recommend a few at a time for discussion on why they are that good and as reynolds617 puts it, to perhaps have our community expand their musical horizons and discover new vinyl.

A couple albums I was thinking of are Alex Harvey and the New Band ~ The Mafia Stole My Guitar; and Rush ~ All The World`s A Stage; and others.

I probably won't get to it until the weekend so if this thread disappears then oh well but I do hope others will contribute.
Veggie Boy

Canada

Postby Rotty » 30 Aug 2017 19:27

Still new to collecting, but in my small collections these three are the ones im most often grabbing. But since I'm still new I might not help much as I can't compare these presses to other presses. Just found they really sounded great.

1. Title: Climbing!
Artist: Mountain
Pressing info: Friday Music USA 2013 (FRM 4501)
Why I picked it: I love this album, beyond their hit Mississippi Queen the rest of the album is stacked with great rock tracks like Never in My Life, Theme For An Imaginary Western and my favorite Sittin' On A Rainbow. The pressing is remasters from the original tapes and sounds great.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4KBPzKt_Dw

2. Title: Live In Switzerland (Live At Montreux)
Artist: The Jeff Healy Band
Pressing info: Music On Vinyl Europe 2015(MOVLP1367)
Why I picked it: It sounds amazing. Live albums can be incredible and this one is. Great performance from the band and great track list. It was originally released as Live at montreux, but the Music on Vinyl version changed it to Live in Switzerland.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j3-EXejYao

3. Title: Blues and Roots
Artist: Charles Mingus
Pressing info: WaxTime 771713 Europe 2011
Why I picked it: Sounds great and one of my favorite jazz albums, His version of Moain' makes the album for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyOlc8BaR0A

There's a bunch more I would choose but I didn't want to just say Rush or the Doors which everyone probably already has, Even though I would strongly recommend the newer releases of Rush albums that were done on 200g all sounded really good. I have an analog productions of Goin Away by Lightning Hopkins which is great. Joe Walsh The smoker you drink the player you get on analog productions sounds great too. However I figured it better to not include the pricier audiophile albums as they're supposed to sound great. Music on Vinyl's self titled Boston album sounded great too. Humble Pie released an A&M box set that sounds pretty good and pretty close to the originals. At least when I compared Smokin'.
Rotty

Canada

Postby Airfix27ra » 30 Aug 2017 21:27

1, Manfred Mann's Earth Band.
Nightingales and Bombers.
Why? Don't really know, just this is my
favourite album.

2. Genesis
The Lamb lies down on Broadway
2nd favourite.

3. King Gizzard
Quarters
3rd favourite.
That's it, nice and simple.
JVC QLY3F, Ortofon 2m Blue
Toshiba 100E,
Yamaha A 520, AKG 550 Mk2
Onkyo T-4030
Mission 700
Peace and Happiness
Airfix27ra

England

Postby reynolds617 » 30 Aug 2017 22:04

Nice posts, Rotty and Airfix! Thanks for kicking things off. I was beginning to think the thread was a non-starter.
Hana EH cartridge
Funk Firm Achromat
reynolds617

United States of America

Postby ralphrexfan » 31 Aug 2017 05:42

Vespertine by Björk

Leichenschrei by SPK

Kontakte by Karlheinz Stockhausen

I have the original pressings for each of these records and they all sound great. These three records each offer fantastic listening experiences while sounding very different from each other. I won't try to describe these records because the music speaks for itself.
Clearaudio Concept MM
Pro-Ject Phono Box S
NAD C375BEE
B&W 685 S2
ralphrexfan

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 31 Aug 2017 07:27

Three classics every music fan worth their salt must own, but this is only my opinion...

1. Title: "What's Going On"
Artist: Marvin Gaye
Pressing info: Tamla TS-310 (1971)
Why I picked it: Every song just flows one to the next...I find it a deeply moving sequence and there is just so much pain in Marvin's voice when he talks about the devastation of Mother Earth in "Mercy Mercy Me"...You can feel him getting tired on "Inner City Blues"...He wants to throw up his hands ("Makes Me Wanna Holler"), but the same loping beat just keeps playing in the background almost like a continual loop of bad news...It's a lot like life sometimes...We are as John Mayer once said, "waiting on the world to change", but "panic keeps spreading" and "God knows where we're heading"! Still, it has it's inspirational moments as on "God Is Love", when he proclaims that "all He asks of us is that we give each other love"...A lot of truth on that album that continues to inspire millions!

2. Title: Innervisions
Artist: Stevie Wonder
Pressing info: Tamla T326L (1973)
Why I picked it: Another great song cycle and a companion to Marvin Gaye's album...The two go hand in hand...One of my favorites is "He's Misstra Know-It-All" that could describe a lot of people in the world right now, as well as then..."Too High" is an indictment of the drug culture and what happens to someone who goes too far..."Living For The City" describes the problems many face in the world...It's an uneasy truth, but a real one seen through Stevie's eyes...And though he's blind, I think he sees a lot more than most people do in a lifetime in this one song when he proclaims grittily "I hope you hear inside my voice of sorrow / And that it motivates you to make a better tomorrow / This place is cruel no where could be much colder / If we don't change the world will soon be over / Living just enough, just enough for the city!!!!"...And then, there's "Higher Ground"...You can't get much more truth than in that song's lyrics! Yes, folks, the world keeps on turning, but it won't be too long...

Finally, an album that brings peace to my mind every time I hear it!

3. Title: Poetic Champions Compose
Artist: Van Morrison
Pressing info: Mercury 422 832 585-1 Q-1 (1987)
Why I picked it: First off, it's a beautifully recorded album...Songs like "Celtic Excavation", "Give Me My Rapture" and "Did Ye Get Healed?" are actually quite healing and make me feel much better after hearing them, especially if I'm in a slump! Plus, it's the only album that I've seen unite people...When they played a promo of it in my favorite record store, there were young guys and old guys alike, as well as me in the middle, just digging it's groove! It was an unexplainable feeling to see all ages bobbing their heads in agreement, without saying a word! I can't describe what it was like to hear that album for the first time, but it's a go-to album for me when I need to wind down...I think for me it's one of Van's finest and clearest moments, although others may have their own favorites from Van the Man...It moves my soul and that's what counts!

As a side note, one more runner-up that a former co-worker turned me onto, and made me appreciate jazz even more...

4. Title: Expansions
Artist: Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes
Pressing info: Flying Dutchman BDL1-0934
Why I picked it: This is just an album you want to listen to in the dark and let the vibes wash over you while imbibing a favorite beverage...Perfect for those hot, sultry summer nights when no electric fan can help you! There is just an enthralling sense of peace within the songs, and when he gets funky, he gets real funky, but in an accessible yet deep way...The etheral "Expansions" sets the mood and tempo, but you're drawn into it through songs like "Summer Days" and his cover of Horace Silver's "Peace"...I've actually given away copies of that one when I see it, and I even have a slightly warped copy as well as a great NM one...I keep the warped copy because...yes, it's THAT great, and I save every copy I can find! I like that the songs are long and you're forced to listen to the entire mysterious-sounding sequence...The sound just envelops you! Close your eyes and imagine a sunny beach full of love, good vibes and the warm sun on your back...That's what this album does for me! Just a fabulous set of compositions that work very well with each other...I will also give a nod to "Quiet Moments" from his "Exotic Mysteries" album...Another go-to song when I need to wind down...And did I mention beautifully recorded!

I'm sure there are many more, but those ones never leave me wanting anything...I get the messages the singers, writers and composers are trying to create and if you go into them with an open mind and heart, they can be life-changing and life-affirming! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby tobyKenobi » 31 Aug 2017 10:35

I think this is a good thread and am interested to see what comes up.

I'll have a go off the top of my head. I'm sure if you asked me next week I'd have a different pick.

1. Title: Hub Tones
Artist: Freddie Hubbard
Pressing info: Label Blue Note, 1998, 180gm re-issue
Why I picked it: I've got quite a Blue Notes from the 1980s and a few years ago, before the "vinyl revival" pushed prices up, I was able to obtain a number of later re-issues quite cheaply, including this, some from the Connoisseur Series, a couple of Japanese re-issues, etc. (Which Blue Note pressings are best is hotly contested and I won't get into it.) So why this one? I played it last weekend as was struck by how fresh it sounded, the depth of the soundstage, the sweetness of Hubbard's trumpet, etc.

2. Title: Scatterlings
Artist: Juluka
Pressing info: MINC, South Africa, 1982, LP
Why I picked it: Juluka gained a little attention in the 1980s after Paul Simon's Graceland showcased African musicians but they deserve to be better known. There's nothing fancy about this pressing but I am always struck by how clear the production is how cleanly separated the musicians are. I guess if you have a good band, produced simply and well you don't need 180gm, remastering, etc. This is their best known - and probably best - album although African Litany is also very good.

3. Title: Blue Monday
Artist: New Order
Pressing info: Factory, 1983, 12" single
Why I picked it: Again, nothing fancy or audiophile about this pressing. Played it recently and my wife and I were impressed with the timing, the rhythm, the bass. Maybe playing at 45rpm helps?
Rega Planar 3, RB300, Linn K9; Arcam 8SE CD; aged Sony amp; Rega Kytes; Castle Severn IIs
tobyKenobi

United Kingdom

Postby JoeE SP9 » 31 Aug 2017 18:24

OK, here's the three I feel like nominating today.

1. Donny Hathaway, Live
Atco SD 33-386
This is widely considered to be one of the best sounding live albums ever. Killer sound and music!!!
2. Donald Fagen, The Nightfly
Warner Bros. W1-23696
Although this was digitally mastered it sounds superb.
3. Stanley Turrentine, Sugar
CTI 8006 (re-issue LP)
I just love what they do with Coltrane's Impressions. This is "smooth jazz" the way it should sound. The Cover is IMO a work of art.
A lot of CTI covers including this one were available as posters. Unfortunately I didn't bite back then.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby fscl » 01 Sep 2017 14:11

JoeE SP9 wrote:OK, here's the three I feel like nominating today.

.......snippage......
I just love what they do with Coltrane's Impressions. This is "smooth jazz" the way it should sound. The Cover is IMO a work of art.
A lot of CTI covers including this one were available as posters. Unfortunately I didn't bite back then.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> One of my favorite covers...... :wink:

Hmmmmmm.... have to think / vet the favorites down to 3, yikes..... :shock: :-k :-k

That's cheating V_M....... :lol: :lol:

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....Music Discovery Starts Here.....WFUV Member
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby whitenoise » 01 Sep 2017 17:58

If SGT Peppers happens to figure in anyone's top 100 then it's a must that it's a mono pressing ...as for my top 3, sorry but it changes every week and it's not a question I've ever mused upon ....
Inspire Apollo .. Michell tecnoarm
Ortofon 2m black + Denon dl301 2
Icon Audio PS1 all valve pre, Westinghouse tubes
2x bridged mono Rotel RB 870bx
Heybrook HB 1's
whitenoise

United Kingdom

Postby Veggie Boy » 01 Sep 2017 19:03

fscl wrote:Hmmmmmm.... have to think / vet the favorites down to 3, yikes..... :shock: :-k :-k

whitenoise wrote:...as for my top 3, sorry but it changes every week and it's not a question I've ever mused upon ....

I view this not as ultimate Top 3 since I agree it changes from week to week or month to month, but rather a "Flavor Of The Week Top 3". I believe I have many albums I would like to share over the course of this thread.
Veggie Boy

Canada

Postby finger painter » 01 Sep 2017 20:23

As said, this ain't that easy as ones flavour changes so often. The first two were quite easy as they are two albums which made me sit up and take notice. The third is by far the hardest to draw a decision on as they were just queuing up for attention at this point.

1) Title - Never Mind The B******s
Artist- Sex Pistols
Virgin ‎– V 2086

Why? - It just summed up the mood, the angst and the anger here in the UK at the time. It also summed up music when hacked backed to its basics and damned if ever, they couldn't play or sing either. The end result being an album which changed the direction of music, fashion and general thinking. If it was well recorded it would be utter rubbish. Thankfully it is far from it and any system which can make sense of it all is simply not worth listening to. A must own.

2) Title - Doolittle
Artist- The Pixies
4AD ‎– CAD 905

Why? - Musically different and I can't think of any band which sound similar. A heady mixture of calm, angry, quiet, loud, slow, fast. Weird lyrics and weird band members. Everything a great album should have. Well recorded and in this case carries the music in a wonderful fluent way. Buy the original release as I haven't found a re-release/issue which matches it in any way, including the MOFI which is dreadful.

3) Title - Southeastern
Artist - Jason Isbel
Southeastern Records (2) ‎– SE-9984

Why? - I came across Jason Isbel by complete accident when holidaying in the Shetland Islands and he just happened to be playing an acoustic set in a small theatre with his wife, the very talented Amanda Shires. A wonderfully pieced together album with some wonderful musicians adding in to what is essentially a very simple recording. The lyrics convey Jason's time in rehabilitation together with some which reflect memories, sad, happy or otherwise. 'Elephant' being a great example of his song writing talent. Sad yet funny. A great easy listening album and far removed from my usual heavier tastes which goes someway to saying how influential on me this record is.

finger painter

Next

Return to Music and Records