the home of the turntable

I´m the slime

name that tune

I´m the slime

Postby Hofnar » 19 May 2017 09:10

Yesterday I listened to Zappas Over-Nite Sensationand was (again) stryck by the lyrics of the second track. My TV broke down a month ago and I haven´t yet replaced it. Where it once stood there now is another sound system and the last couple of weeks I´ve rad half doxen or so books and listeed to countless albums.

I definitely don´t need a TV (but my girlfriend is somewhat addicted and expects there to be one when she visits and I´m addicted to her so I guess I´ll have to get a new one ((TV, not GF)). Myself I prefer books, records and radio). I can do just fine without the slime...
MH MMF 7.1 w Ortofon 2M Black, AT LP-5 w Sonus Silver Label P, Dynavox TPR-2, Technics SA-700K, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Q Acoustics 2070S
Unamco T-1 w Shure M75ED Type II/Technics SA-300K/Q Acoustics 2020
Hofnar

Sweden

Re: I´m the slime

Postby old steely » 19 May 2017 14:28

yea a tv is just a programing machine
old steely running origin live,linn basic straight arm
croft micro 25,chord spa 1016,white van man speakers with fane
bass units
old steely

Scotland

Postby ROBROY » 19 May 2017 14:49

Hofnar wrote:Yesterday I listened to Zappas Over-Nite Sensationand was (again) stryck by the lyrics of the second track. My TV broke down a month ago and I haven´t yet replaced it. Where it once stood there now is another sound system and the last couple of weeks I´ve rad half doxen or so books and listeed to countless albums.

I definitely don´t need a TV (but my girlfriend is somewhat addicted and expects there to be one when she visits and I´m addicted to her so I guess I´ll have to get a new one ((TV, not GF)). Myself I prefer books, records and radio). I can do just fine without the slime...

Heh. I dumped TV in 1997. It changed my life. I've owned a video monitor most of that time, but only to watch DVD's and BlueRays. No broadcast stuff.
ROBROY

United States of America

Postby cats squirrel » 19 May 2017 16:18

TV: Opium of the people?
currently listening with:
Lenco 59, Rega 250 + s/s stub and c/w, cAT92e cart in a metal housing, Plattamat2, Michell's clamp,
Musical Fidelity X-LPSv3, Cambridge Audio 640v2 x2
Usher 604 floor standers augmented with Fountek CD3 ribbon tweeters
cats squirrel
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby ROBROY » 19 May 2017 16:29

cats squirrel wrote:TV: Opium of the people?

It's why I'm rarely in agreement with the masses politically. I've not been subjected to the constant brainwashing, gaslighting, etc.
ROBROY

United States of America

Postby zwhita » 19 May 2017 17:12

My girlfriend insists on watching over-the-air digital TV when home after work. I finally got her to stop watching the retro station with all the 80's sitcoms by not moving the antennae when it stopped coming in: That was driving me buggy. The ads alone show a disturbing preference to its intended demographic advocating a litigious society, placating the sickly and sedentary, and perpetuating fears and insecurities in a peremptory and audacious manner. It would be amusing if it wasn't so unabashedly shameful.

Now she watches nothing but real-crime documentaries. Equally disturbing for very different but obvious reasons.

I think any media that does not have the intent of expanding your mind or objectively questioning/challenging the status quo would qualify in Frank Zappa's original criticism. Anything that encourages anti-intellectualism and mindless consumerism. Constant texting, 99% of youtube content and ignorance of the masses on social media come to mind. In moderation and for entertainment purposes, it's fine, but one should still be objective about why it exists and what content providers' intent is.
zwhita

Postby Sunwire » 19 May 2017 17:26

I applaud all who get rid of their TVs.
When the transition to digital happened, I didn't get a digital tuner for a long time. I didn't miss TV.
I finally got one and watched a little TV for a couple of years, but didn't enjoy the experience. I noticed that I spent most of my TV time switching channels trying to find something worth watching.
I've now been without it for almost 4 years again. When I visit friends or businesses that have a TV on, I'm usually disgusted by it. The news is designed only to get ratings, not to inform. The ads are just mind-numbing. The political shows are designed to keep people ignorant and angry at the opposition.
TV is always pro-war, pro-big business, pro-government, pro-police power, pro-celebrity.
All bad.
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby ROBROY » 19 May 2017 18:02

Sunwire wrote:I applaud all who get rid of their TVs.
When the transition to digital happened, I didn't get a digital tuner for a long time. I didn't miss TV.
I finally got one and watched a little TV for a couple of years, but didn't enjoy the experience. I noticed that I spent most of my TV time switching channels trying to find something worth watching.
I've now been without it for almost 4 years again. When I visit friends or businesses that have a TV on, I'm usually disgusted by it. The news is designed only to get ratings, not to inform. The ads are just mind-numbing. The political shows are designed to keep people ignorant and angry at the opposition.
TV is always pro-war, pro-big business, pro-government, pro-police power, pro-celebrity.
All bad.

I was 43 when I got rid of it. The most striking changes to my life:
1. I became a bass player.
2. I lost 55 lbs and became an even more avid bicyclist.

Side story: WE just got a better data plan and can now stream amazon prime programming for free. So, being a science fiction buff, I spotted a series called "The Expanse". I decided to watch a couple of episodes.

It was terrible. It moved nauseatingly slow and I felt like I was being strung along. It is a genre that used to be called "cliffhanger" or "soap opera". Apparently it is now called "season long episode". I turned it off in the middle of the third episode and moved on. I really hate being strung along like that. My time is more valuable.
ROBROY

United States of America

Postby analogaudio » 19 May 2017 18:17

I also thrive without TV. It seems to me here in the USA that the purpose of TV is to make money for the broadcasters and the advertisers, and most of the content is pretty mindless. I notice the ratio of content to advertising is about two thirds-one third where I am in the NY metro area. I get cable TV for two months each year so I can watch the end of the baseball season. When the world series is over the cable service is terminated.

This is what cartoonist Robert Crumb thought about American TV in 1977

Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby RockerFrank » 19 May 2017 18:27

Dallas was good though, right?
RockerFrank

Finland

Postby JoeE SP9 » 19 May 2017 21:11

I've always wondered why audio is so full of self righteous "holier than thou" individuals. The question of whether or not to watch TV is a prefect example.

I watch TV daily. I'm a 69YO, 147lb, 5'8" competitive cyclist. If you blame TV for your being overweight and out of shape you're deluding yourself. TV is not the problem. You are.

Apparently some of you have never heard of the idea of ignoring commercials? I do it regularly. Rather than complain about commercials we should all remember that free TV is driven and paid for by those commercials. If you don't like them that's your business. However, in our capitalistic society/economy they are a necessity. The simple solution is to not watch. Complaining about something you don't have to watch is sort of silly.

If you object to the idea of watching for free or paying for something you don't like the solutions (both) are very simple. Solution number one is to not watch TV at all. In which case you have no reason to complain about anything to do with broadcast TV or any TV (cable or otherwise) for that matter. The other solution is to watch TV (broadcast or otherwise) only when it broadcasts/transmits something you want to watch. This to me is the sensible way to approach things.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 20 May 2017 01:13

Joe.....
This is one time that we both absolutely 100% agree.
*Thorens 165 with M97xE
*Lounge Audio phono pre
*NAD C-350 amp
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby fscl » 20 May 2017 03:30

Since we're talking about visuals...... :wink:

Of course, this all fits on 1 LP however, have a feeling would love the rest of "I'm The Slime" tape..... :wink:

Happy to say over the years the $ spent on TV is WAY below that for audio / music...... =D> =D> =D>

Kids just congratulated me in entering the 21st century, with a 50" flat screen 1080 SRXD TV....... =D> =D>

Not working, moving sale complete with remote for $15, ready to install the replacement bulb and play.... :) #-o Just read the optical block problem wiki....... [-o< I think it was owned by an old lady...... [-o<

Not all broadcast TV is bad.....spend most of my watching CPB / PBS shows a select few series and DVDs and BRDs now...... :)

Happy sliming "ooozzzing right out on the living room floor"...... :lol: :lol:

Fred
Music is Everything....Except Predictable....Music Discovery Starts Here.....WFUV Member
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Sunwire » 20 May 2017 06:56

Unfortunately, TV affects me whether I watch it or not (I don't).
It makes people stupid, fearful, ignorant, and willing to pay hard earned money to criminal politicians who use it to line their own pockets while killing huge numbers of innocent people around the world and destroying the environment that supports us.
The world is mostly made worse by TV.
I applaud people who refuse to watch the brainwashing.
If all you watch is edifying programs, good for you.
You are part of a tiny minority.
Sunwire
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 20 May 2017 07:02

Maybe you guys should get one of these (like my man Chris has), fix it up and watch TV the way it was supposed to be...

I'm sure there is a way to stream your own classic programs and films through one of them...I probably know just as much about classic TV as I do about records, but I have way more records...It's never affected me in a bad way...Of course, I do like a good comedy once in a while and tend to shift more now towards great musical programming...

On the other hand, to quote Groucho Marx...

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book."

orrr...

"I read in the newspapers they are going to have 30 minutes of intellectual stuff on television every Monday from 7:30 to 8. to educate America. They couldn't educate America if they started at 6:30."

Or to quote Stan Freberg...

"Tele-Vee-Shun...I'm sick of it!"

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records