Well, here, let Jarrett tell you in a nutshell! :D =D>

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Why is vinyl cool again???

Postby Tonybro » 04 Mar 2017 09:53

First time I've watched one of his videos. Seems to have a good personality and really enjoys the medium (vinyl). I agree with most of what he says but the Nostalgia element only applies to those who remember 'records' 1st time round.
Tony
Linn LP12, Hercules II, AudioMods Classic, Ortofon Cadenza Red
Technics SL1200 Mk2 'Blooey' Nagaoka MP500
Linn Axis Basik Plus Arm Denon DL-110
STD 305S SME3009 II Shure V15 III
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby JoeE SP9 » 04 Mar 2017 18:18

Vinyl cool again!? It's always been cool to me. Especially when others were selling/giving away collections for "Perfect Sound Forever".
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby Kyluckyman » 05 Mar 2017 04:46

I have always loved vinyl. When cd's took off, I was the one guy buying up people's records and gear.

I hope tube amps and huge speakers fall out of favor soon!
Kyluckyman

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 05 Mar 2017 05:40

On the one hand i don´t really care why, i just hope it´ll be "cool" for a long time so we get good quality pressings, styluses and tts - on the other hand this means that i´m cool now with my records, which if never been with them. :D ...erm i mean: 8)
H. callahan

Germany

Postby analogaudio » 05 Mar 2017 16:58

I grew up with vinyl records and still have them. I wonder if it is the young generation that is showing new interest in vinyl? Some of them grew up with a different kind of music delivery, the downloaded song, and assembled sequences of these songs into playlists for portable music players. This experience is very different from the concept of the LP which is a series of songs by one performer arranged with care in a sequence, with each side of the disc having a beginning a middle and an end. This is a different animal from a playlist of singles. I think it is this difference that people are rediscovering, the pleasure of the extended musical performance, twenty minutes of music.
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 06 Mar 2017 05:43

I wonder if it is the young generation that is showing new interest in vinyl?

I think it is. Most people which grew with vinyl records - and weren´t hardcore-audiophiles - don´t like them because they know how bad these can sound and consider the cd/digital a relief. Most of these probably don´t know how good vinyl can sound or they´re just tired of the hassle (a person who grew up with vinyl should be about 50 years old now and the eyes don´t get any better as coordination skills... and cartridge screws are pretty tiny etc.) or the drawbacks like dust ect. .
Vinyl surely is something different for a digital native, but there might also be some kind of nostalgia with it.

Besides, my father was a bit into reel-to-reel. Therefore 20 minutes like on a vinyl wasn´t long for him. But nowadays 20 minutes "feel" a lot longer, because the world speed up quite a bit - therefore the drawback of yesterday, only having 20 min/side, might be an advantage of today.

Habits usually help to relax. And vinyl can become a habit, because you only can listen to it at home (if you don´t have one of these fancy portable players) and you have to do the "ceremony". Having all kinds of music with you all the time is very handy, but it can become normal/usual/meaningless/arbitrary.
Vinyl is different. You put on a record because you want to listen to an album, or at least one side, without skipping every 30 seconds to parts only you like, without changing the genre ect. . And IF you put on a record you don´t do so just to hear 1 minute and stop or change the record, you do so IF you want to LISTEN. Vinyl probably is more conscious decision/perception, than download a song whatever mood you´re in right now (but no more within 30 seconds) and skip/change/stop/whatever.
H. callahan

Germany

Postby vinyl master » 06 Mar 2017 06:25

Yeah, vinyl forces you to focus on the music...To really HEAR the music, and since it's not as easy as pressing a button and changing the tune, you can let the music grow on you...I'm sure it helps with the hand-eye coordination, too, as learning to balance a tonearm takes a certain amount of finesse...But, once you hit that sweet spot, it can be a beautiful thing! Having the record in my hand as I'm listening to it also allows me to learn about the music and the artists as I'm reading the liner notes...A download doesn't necessarily have that information come with it as easily...With a download, I have to look up the album on Discogs to get any information about it and see the artwork, and look up the songs on a lyric site to know the words...And that's IF the lyrics are even listed! With an album, record label, liner notes and a lyric insert, I can get all of that information in one neat little package! Very handy, I say! =D>
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 06 Mar 2017 08:05

...To really HEAR the music, and since it's not as easy as pressing a button and changing the tune, you can let the music grow on you...

Which also does some kind of broaden-one´s-horizons-thing, because you listen through the entire album/side and don´t skip everything you don´t like right from the start.
H. callahan

Germany

Postby Spurtz » 06 Mar 2017 18:37

My own take on this is why I got back into it again - vinyl is TANGIBLE, and it offers things that digital doesn't.

The fact remains that the most prevalent media for music currently is digital downloads - it's convenient as hell, and you don't even have to put your clothes on to buy music. But what it doesn't have is any emotional investment. There's no artwork, stories, bios, nothing. Humans are by nature ritualistic animals, meaning we like to do things for the sake of doing them, and many people find solace or comfort in that. I love the album covers, the sleeves, the accessories, the cleaning rituals, the organization of objects I hold in my hand. Picture disks, shaped disks, limited editions, original pressings, oh my. And you have to admit, it sounds really good. For the digital age, you have a device that plays mp3's and a credit card. May sound strange, but I love it when a record finishes the last track - I get to open the lid, remove the weight, flip the record, brush it clean, replace the weight, clean the stylus and drop the needle on the first track, then finally close the lid.

I love visiting new record shops and haunting the regular ones. You routinely browse music you weren't even looking for and see what's out there. Not so for digital - you so often only see what you're looking for. Sure, I still have my CD player, but to be honest, I haven't used it in months. Sometimes I don't want convenience or "perfection" of sound. I want something that's REAL. Did I get sucked into the CD/digital wave? Yes. And I have some regrets over it.

"But Spurtz, you can't take a record player with you!" That's right, it ain't portable.

Thank goodness for that.
*Rega Planar 2
*Grace 707 tonearm w/Grace F9 cartridge
*Soundsmith Nude RS-9U Blue Stylus
*Art DJ-Pre II Pre-amp
*KEF 105.2 speakers, teak finish
Spurtz

Canada

Postby Belalan » 06 Mar 2017 23:02

It slows you down
Belalan

Canada

Postby wojo58 » 07 Mar 2017 00:01

In my case, it forces to me build a "nest" of sorts. I rarely wear cans, and to get the full experience, as you know, the sound is optimal in one place only............aka, the nest. Complete with comfy chair (no one expects a comfy chair! :wink: ) , beverages, Doritos, and whatever else allows me to stay stationary for one LP side.

So vinyl is a "rooting" experience?
wojo58

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 07 Mar 2017 00:23

wojo58 wrote:In my case, it forces to me build a "nest" of sorts. I rarely wear cans, and to get the full experience, as you know, the sound is optimal in one place only............aka, the nest. Complete with comfy chair (no one expects a comfy chair! :wink: ) , beverages, Doritos, and whatever else allows me to stay stationary for one LP side.

Well, no one ever builds a nest, complete with shelves, a comfy chair and snacks just to listen to downloads...Downloads are for taking elsewhere due to their portability...Vinyl is for listening at home! And having records (and maybe books), if anything else, gives one an excuse to buy or make some nice shelving! :wink:

And on those REALLY cold nights when you don't feel like going out, there's nothing like staying warm, turning on the turntable and playing a few records! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby MonkeyBoy » 07 Mar 2017 01:37

wojo58 wrote:In my case, it forces to me build a "nest" of sorts. I rarely wear cans, and to get the full experience, as you know, the sound is optimal in one place only............aka, the nest. Complete with comfy chair (no one expects a comfy chair! :wink: ) , beverages, Doritos, and whatever else allows me to stay stationary for one LP side.

That took me second-nest-then I remembered your avatar. :lol:

Why is vinyl (are records!) cool? I'm 59 and so far removed from cool I might as well be wearing a toupee and white shoes with my Bermuda shorts. I'm going to have to ask again at work among the younger people. I don't believe any of them own records. They download music (probably illegaly) and listen on their I phones.

My guess is this: connection to a past they sometimes remember vaugely but with which they have a tentative connection to a past no longer in existence. They remember their parents playing these black, plastic discs with music and the music emenating from the speakers tells a tale of their youth-they long to feel some tangible piece of the past which means something more than just the words on pages in a book in school-they want to experience something beyond the blank, empty promises of "perfect sound forever" we who are older quickly learned were empty as a politician's promise-they want to experience something beyond what they have been limited to so far, a life with promise but not yet one of fullfillment.

My guess is many of them sense their is "something" out there beyond what they have found so far that is worth searching for, something their senses tell them is the epitome of sensuality. Really, isn't that what draws all of us here? We seek "something else". So maybe, do they.
Music isn't an escape from life, it's one of the reasons to be alive in the first place!
MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

United States of America

Postby H. callahan » 07 Mar 2017 05:01

The fact remains that the most prevalent media for music currently is digital downloads - it's convenient as hell, and you don't even have to put your clothes on to buy music.
I love visiting new record shops and haunting the regular ones. You routinely browse music you weren't even looking for and see what's out there.

It can become a hobby - a "real" one. Noone would consider downloadmusic a hobby because everybody does it and has it. It´s a standart like everyone having a smartphone for example. (I remember the days when mobile phones without any camera, without internet and only a small black and white display were soooooo cool. :lol: )
H. callahan

Germany

Next

Return to Music and Records