the home of the turntable

so hard to find original pressings for a decent price

name that tune

so hard to find original pressings for a decent price

Postby jazon » 03 Mar 2017 20:31

so i started buying new lps. didn't think much of it, then i come to realize a lot of them are made from digital, which doesn't seem quite right.

so i start looking for used records in good shape from back in the day, wow. this involves a lot of searching and a lot of money.

are 'remasters' really that bad? its kind of exciting to search down old copies but i just don't have the free time to do it, not to mention with the majority being sold on ebay, shipping is way too expensive on top of the already high prices.

too bad us kids abused the hell of of dads record collection, lots of originals there and he never listens to them.
jazon

Canada

Re: so hard to find original pressings for a decent price

Postby macnoob » 03 Mar 2017 22:07

Thrift shops, estate sales, etc. for a buck or two apiece.
Record stores for 5-10 bucks each.

Forget shipping anything.
macnoob
long player
long player

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 03 Mar 2017 22:38

Craigslist and Kijiji, my friend! Maybe something like the following? :-k

https://ottawa.craigslist.ca/emd/5969661232.html

Keep your eyes peeled for stuff like that...

Or if you're in Ottawa, here...

http://www.therecordcentre.com/
http://www.vertigorecords.ca/
http://turningpointmusic.ca/contacts/
https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/

Don't forget Legend Records and Birdman Sound, too...

This is also interesting...

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/pag ... old-vs-new
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby JoeE SP9 » 04 Mar 2017 18:13

LP's made from digital masters do not have to sound bad. Donald Fagen's The Nightly is proof. Yes, I have an original pressing.
ARC SP9, HW19, RB300, Sumiko Blackbird: Front: Magnepan 1.7, 2 x 12" TL subs 2 bridged Crown XLS 402, 2 modified Dyna MK-III's. DBX-223XS, Behringer DSP1124P, rear: Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX-2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jazon » 04 Mar 2017 18:18

vinyl master wrote:Craigslist and Kijiji, my friend! Maybe something like the following? :-k

https://ottawa.craigslist.ca/emd/5969661232.html

Keep your eyes peeled for stuff like that...

Or if you're in Ottawa, here...

http://www.therecordcentre.com/
http://www.vertigorecords.ca/
http://turningpointmusic.ca/contacts/
https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/

Don't forget Legend Records and Birdman Sound, too...

This is also interesting...

https://www.planetofsoundonline.com/pag ... old-vs-new
thanks! i don't make it downtown often but it beats paying ebay shipping. i have a legends records near me though i find their prices for used a bit high, 20 bucks a record basically. can be worth it depending though.
jazon

Canada

Postby jazon » 13 Sep 2017 20:40

well after spending a couple thousand dollars buying records on ebay and not usually getting what i thought i was i've given up on first presses and rather just have an older pressing that is in great condition.
jazon

Canada

Postby billshurv » 13 Sep 2017 23:35

I've never bothered chasing a first pressing. But I'm a music lover not a collector. Even 30 years ago when vinyl was cheap as people jumped ship I would rather get more music than spend my disposable income on just one or two first pressings. There are a few labels where I would like to get all their output, but it just isn't going to happen. :)
billshurv

United Kingdom

Postby RockerFrank » 14 Sep 2017 07:30

jazon wrote:the majority being sold on ebay

That was three years ago, Discogs is where it's at now.
RockerFrank

Finland

Postby vinyl master » 14 Sep 2017 08:42

RockerFrank wrote:

Absolutely...I can't tell you how many things I've found on Discogs that I have not seen cheaper elsewhere...There are more places one can look nowadays for records, but Discogs is right up there with the best, especially on the rarer albums!
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Slavikcc » 14 Sep 2017 13:02

jazon wrote:well after spending a couple thousand dollars buying records on ebay and not usually getting what i thought i was i've given up on first presses and rather just have an older pressing that is in great condition.

You might have better luck going to the upcoming Ottawa Community Record Show on October 15th. I will be there selling some of my records there.
Slavikcc

Canada

Postby jazon » 14 Sep 2017 14:29

vinyl master wrote:
RockerFrank wrote:

Absolutely...I can't tell you how many things I've found on Discogs that I have not seen cheaper elsewhere...There are more places one can look nowadays for records, but Discogs is right up there with the best, especially on the rarer albums!

yeah, i had a bad experience with discogs but i should try them again. I bought a first pressing of the doors self titled and it was in such bad condition, it wasn't even playable while being sold as VG. ebay isn't bad as long as you stay away from first pressing and such. i have one seller i get albums for 10-15 bucks each in mint condition.
jazon

Canada

Postby zwhita » 14 Sep 2017 15:16

That sort of brings up another sensitive subject all its own: Why would someone sell an original pressing of a great album in the first place, assuming it is still in VG+ or better condition?

Pre 2000's I can see, as people were still dumping their LP collections who did not want them. But now, unless your tastes radically change, or you are the victim of some financial misfortune or worse, or you are a collector who already has another copy you prefer, I just don't see it.

Seems based on that logic, the number of original pressings of any LP available on the used market will only continue to shrink into scant nothingness. Probably should not even be considered now in most cases, even knowing it may be the only way to get the best sound quality.
zwhita

Postby noisefreq » 14 Sep 2017 16:04

This topic is becoming a pet peeve of mine.
Not to make an example of you, jazon; that is certainly not my intention.
Your opinion is completely valid!

I just think if a record sounds good it doesn't matter if it's mastered from a tape, DAT, hard drive or a wire recorder.

Please set me straight on this if I am wrong.

A well mastered record is a well mastered record and the signal chain doesn't change that.
CDs and records are not mastered in the same way. Vinyl records have nuances in the mastering that aren't a problem when mastering the same source to a CD.
CDs have their own set of rules.

If a digital source sounds crappy to start with, cutting it into a record won't make it sound any better.
But if that same digital source sounds amazing it can make for a wonderful vinyl issue.
Analog tape is a very forgiving medium that can make recordings sound spectacular. But so can digital recordings done right.

There are a lot more perspectives on this situation.
The attention getting stickers on the new "Remastered Edition" are there to sell records. Just because it's a newly remastered, "audiophile pressing", pressed onto 180gram vinyl, cut at 45rpm's, etc..doesn't make it better, it just makes it. Good, bad or indifferent. The sticker swag should be taken (like most things today) with a grain of salt.

Pressing plants are so swamped trying to keep up with demand that the quality control is suffering. This is nothing new. They were making crappy pressings in the 80's.
It's all about the money.
Record companies will push it as far as they can get away with it.
IMO, this is one of the reasons everyone jumped on the CD bandwagon. More consistent product.

For every new re-issued record there are tons of worn out, scratched, abused original issues. That's why good ones are so expensive. A 40 year old minty record is a real find!

So, yes there is a problem with digitally remastered records.
And yes, they are also perfectly acceptable if it sounds good to you.

Unless you are Jack White, nothing is completely analog today. It's just not cost effective. If you do run across a genuine all analog re-issue, it will be expensive and probably limited in numbers.
And in the end, it too, could sound like crap if not mastered properly.
just keep smiling
noisefreq

United States of America

Postby davidsss » 15 Sep 2017 14:43

A well mastered record is a well mastered record.

But . . . there are some albums which were wll mastered when originally released and the original pressing is the original sound. I'll chase an original pressing if it is worth it for a good mix and often for an original mono mix, but only if it is good.

The Doors debut is a great case in point. Haven't heard the reissued mono but the original is brilliant.

Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers is the opposite as far as I can tell: many fairly average mixes. The MOFI is anemic. Finally found a Japanese pressing from 1978 which is the best I've heard.

So, my point would be that original pressings are worth it if and only if the original mix is good. Also, I like to hear the record as it was released.

DS
Micro Seiki BL51 TT, Stax UA7 Tonearm, RCM Sensor Prelude Phono Stage, Dynavector XX-2 MkII Cart, Rotel RCD865BX Cd Player, Melody I34R amp and Osborn Epitome Speakers.
davidsss
long player
long player
contributor

Australia

Postby vinyl master » 16 Sep 2017 07:47

zwhita wrote:That sort of brings up another sensitive subject all its own: Why would someone sell an original pressing of a great album in the first place, assuming it is still in VG+ or better condition?

Pre 2000's I can see, as people were still dumping their LP collections who did not want them. But now, unless your tastes radically change, or you are the victim of some financial misfortune or worse, or you are a collector who already has another copy you prefer, I just don't see it.

Seems based on that logic, the number of original pressings of any LP available on the used market will only continue to shrink into scant nothingness. Probably should not even be considered now in most cases, even knowing it may be the only way to get the best sound quality.

A few thoughts here...Some people may decide one day to get rid of the bulk of their record collections because they've taken up too much room. Other records may be donated to charity or record stores, as the older owners move on or pass away, leaving their kids to sort out their mess. These are good times to snatch up original pressings, if in very good to excellent condition. Depending on the rarity and price, I will even buy a not-so-good copy, but mainly as a placefiller and a way to hear the music, at least until a better copy comes along...Record shows and estate sales can be particularly good in this regard. I have found Craigslist to be a good place to search for vinyl, too.

Now, if this vinyl resurgence continues to hold and more and better pressing plants pop up (Jack White's Third Man Records pressing plant is right in my own backyard!), things could change...If making good albums is treated as an art and a science again instead of an afterthought, we might start to see better quality reissues coming out. It's not over with yet, folks! Remember, that even in the 50's and 60's, there were "budget" labels like Crown, Diplomat and Sunset putting out all kinds of questionable releases...Some of those may have been decent, but in general, the quality of records even back then could be hit or miss...Certain labels like Blue Note and others were known for their quality pressings...Today, there are labels like Light In The Attic, Norton, Sundazed, Analogue Productions, Daptone, etc. that have put out some quality products...Just as in the past (although maybe a bit more now), there are crappy pressings and there are good pressings...I say know your labels (which ones to buy, which ones to stay away from, etc.), read reviews and know who you're buying from! There are times I will buy an album for the collectability factor or art and not so much the sound, bu only if it's really cheap...I don't pretend about that fact and WHY I bought it! Sometimes, though, with the right knowledge and the skill for evaluating condition, you can get lucky, too, at garage sales, flea markets, antique stores and thrift shops...Take time to do your homework and you will be rewarded with some excellent records!

And regarding original pressings disappearing into scant nothingness, don't forget how many copies of any particular album were sold and/or pressed...You may not have that problem with Pink Floyd's DSOTM, as there are many original pressings floating about...On the other hand, an untouched Beatles butcher cover may be harder to come by...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records