Records played in movies and tv shows

name that tune
Gelid
broken record

Re: Records played in movies and tv shows

Post by Gelid » 17 Jun 2018 01:13

What is this guy's turntable?

...and what the heck is it sitting atop of?

themisto462
Germany

Post by themisto462 » 17 Jun 2018 17:09

Gelid wrote:What is this guy's turntable?
My guess would be:

Pioneer PLX-500W

https://pdj-ecom-cdn.azureedge.net/-/me ... -front.jpg
Gelid wrote:...and what the heck is it sitting atop of?
My guess for that:

A BBE 482i or BBE 882i Dual Mono Sonic Maximizer

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg

together with a dbx 231s Dual Channel 31-Band Equalizer

https://sta.images.audiogroup.org/media ... 00x800.jpg

A very interesting looking combination...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 10 Sep 2018 16:52

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 10 Sep 2018 18:40

Brilliant
On here for people outside us

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Sep 2018 04:16

Love that, Fred...Very interesting and thought-provoking, while being humorous at the same time!! :-k

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 08 Dec 2018 22:20

Widows, Viola starts her turntable with a head on shot of the tonearm.

A Shure M97xe is prominently displayed. Speaking of unfortunate product placement...... #-o

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=104199

Oh well

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Dec 2018 02:58

kindsaluv wrote:
15 Jun 2018 16:13
I dunno the receiver, I am sure someone will tell.
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FH32DHerRF0/ ... 28s112.jpg

Please help to fill the blanks!
Bye K
While that receiver looks like my 1500TD here with the black knobs...

...it doesn't have two round dials on top, so I think that one might be (and I could be wrong) a Pioneer SX-2500...

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_libra ... 2500.shtml

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Dec 2018 03:23

OK, here's another new commercial that REALLY annoys me...

Tell me if I'm wrong here...Dad plays the Faces' "Ooh La La" on his old Garrard for his daughter at the beginning of the commercial...5 seconds in and we see her learning the chords on her guitar with that faithful old Garrard playing the record...At 9 seconds, she can be seen listening to it on earbuds while she's studying...Notice she still has the record player, but it's not spinning a record...At 0:12, you can see her packing her things for college and the song playing in the background...And then, we see her in her new college dorm room...Instead of asking Alexa to play her dad's playlist, how many of you were wishing that she would have instead opened up one of those boxes to discover Dad's old turntable (with maybe with a note inside from her dad saying "I love you...Enjoy the music!"), and then split to her setting up the old stereo again and putting on that Faces record just for fun? Maybe have a voiceover that says "Although some things may change, some things still remain the same..." It wouldn't even necessarily have to be a commercial for Amazon, either...

Am I wrong to want this? I know Amazon wants to promote it's Echo Dot, but I see nothing wrong with loving that old turntable and bringing it back to life, but maybe that's just the audiophile nut in me... 8-[

Who else agrees my version would have been a better ending? :-k

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 10 Dec 2018 05:27

Definitely.
I think this commercial is totally annoying and just trying to somehow ride the wave of vinyl-resurgence to advertise another product non-related to vinyl.
I mean come on, if she is studying today she´s been born in the late 90s. You know that period when less than 1Mio. records were sold worldwide per year and her dad very likely had a CD-player, starting to burn his own CDs with his new CD-burner-drive on his PC when she was a kid in the early 2000s.
So this commercial has a time-gap of about 25 years in its logic, she had to be born in the late 70s and be around 45 now (and working for amazon for a poverty wage, because today nobody likes to give older,educated women a proper employment) to still have grown up with a record player.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 10 Dec 2018 05:57

Who knows? She could have had a very smart father, who hooked her onto vinyl early...She might be one of those "old souls" like Joss Stone who grew up listening to old Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding and Etta James tunes...Joss is 31 years old, by the way...My favorite, Rumer, is 39 and you can hear lots of older influences in her music...I grew up listening to a lot of music that was older than the new stuff coming out at the time...I still have a penchant for all kinds of music, from 50's pop and 40's swing to 70's soul and 90's rap and timeless classical and jazz...It all depends on what mood I happen to be in that day...Take a look at all the newbies coming here who are getting their first taste of owning a record player...It can't be THAT unusual, although we are a very niche bunch here in a way...

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 10 Dec 2018 06:07

Yes, but first this commercial is annoying (as most commercials) and second its trying to ride the vinyl wave without selling a vinyl-product (which makes it more annoying) and third its pretty unlikely that her father still listened to records in the early 2000s. So an effective commercial should try to reach a wide number of people and most kids of the early 2000s did not grew up with a record player.
So even from the perspective of an ad writer its a bad commercial (which makes it even more annoying) - and as i dislike most commericals anyway, i just have to critizise it.
I think its annoying btw, in case i havn´t mentioned that so far ( :wink: )...

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 10 Dec 2018 14:38

H. callahan wrote:
10 Dec 2018 05:27
Definitely.
I think this commercial is totally annoying and just trying to somehow ride the wave of vinyl-resurgence to advertise another product non-related to vinyl.
I mean come on, if she is studying today she´s been born in the late 90s. You know that period when less than 1Mio. records were sold worldwide per year and her dad very likely had a CD-player, starting to burn his own CDs with his new CD-burner-drive on his PC when she was a kid in the early 2000s.
So this commercial has a time-gap of about 25 years in its logic, she had to be born in the late 70s and be around 45 now (and working for amazon for a poverty wage, because today nobody likes to give older,educated women a proper employment) to still have grown up with a record player.
I didn't have a CD player in the 90s and didn't have a PC in the early 00s. And even if the guy did, doesn't mean he wouldn't still have played his old Faces records on his Garrard. Grinch.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 11 Dec 2018 03:36

Me too, but back then i was the only one being into records. Everyone else i knew was into CDs and sniffing (rather laughing) at my records. So from a marketing perspective i have to remain a Grinch and stick to this commercial being ineffective on the broad mass if you want to get the attention of late 90s born by showing them a record player. No matter how feasible it is a single father having played his records in the early 2000s to his daughter.
Anyway its just a commerical it will be forgotten within a few months if remembered at all.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 18 Dec 2018 14:51

vinyl master wrote:
09 Dec 2018 03:23
OK, here's another new commercial that REALLY annoys me...
.......major snippage.....
Am I wrong to want this? I know Amazon wants to promote it's Echo Dot, but I see nothing wrong with loving that old turntable and bringing it back to life, but maybe that's just the audiophile nut in me... 8-[

Who else agrees my version would have been a better ending? :-k
No, you're not wrong V_M, however, it just doesn't make Jeff more mooola la la ...... [-X :lol:

In a way, music's been free for lots of the millennial's so $ub$cription$ are the way to go now..... :-k :-k :-k

So hopefully, she's gonna get her own Prime membership, Prime music, etc....

AND order $tuff via her Echo...... [-o< :wink:

Season 5 of Black Mirror is going to drop soon, their "Fifteen Million Merits" addressed this, instead of cycling, she may earn her turntable, vinyl, playback system working for the Zon in the future...... :shock:

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Apr 2019 07:18

OK, new Dionne Warwick video I posted in the "Life Lessons" thread...Girl is listening to the record on a turntable...What is the turntable??? :-k