Records played in movies and tv shows

name that tune
edagger74

Re: Records played in movies and tv shows

Post by edagger74 » 08 Aug 2017 20:23

vinyl master wrote:While not necessarily from a TV show or movie, I'm very curious about the turntable on the cover of Diana Krall's "Turn Up The Quiet" album...Any clues? :-k

Im guessing Mcintosh.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 13 Aug 2017 03:57

There's a full McIntosh rig featured in Matt Damon's apartment at the end of The Departed, but I don't believe a turntable was in evidence.

However, one nobody seems to have mentioned yet is High Fidelity which features quite a lot of records and turntables, obviously.

I believe a turntable is also featured in Trax, the music shop where Molly Ringwald works in Pretty in Pink.

ndiamone

Post by ndiamone » 13 Aug 2017 04:02

The Cosby Show - Rudy scratches a rare blues 78 that Cliff got for his father.

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 13 Aug 2017 05:03

Just saw "To Sir With Love".Sidney Poitier takes a job as a High School teacher in England and the kids are hanging out listen to records at school.Also starring Lulu who sings title track.Good movie.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 13 Aug 2017 05:14

And of course, I'd mentioned this earlier on another thread, but one of my favorite scenes is in the Jon Voight film, "Conrack"...Watch from 29:09 where Conrack is trying to teach the virtues of classical music to his students...

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 13 Aug 2017 05:39

To be honest i havn´t read the complete thread so there might be some repetition:

In the movie "Constantine" Keanu Reeves plays "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck on a tt. I remember the tt not being very high grade.

In "Mission Impossible 5" a Technics is used to laser-display Ethan Hunt his mission.

In "Valkyrie" with Tom Cruise there is a pretty challenging shot of a grammophone playing the Valkyrie.

In "Comedian Harmonists" is at least on shot of a grammo playing.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 13 Aug 2017 07:36

Progman2112 wrote:Just saw "To Sir With Love".Sidney Poitier takes a job as a High School teacher in England and the kids are hanging out listen to records at school.Also starring Lulu who sings title track.Good movie.
And includes The Mindbenders. Great film.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 19 Nov 2017 11:45

Just saw "John and Mary" from 1969. I've never seen such a turntable before. There's no tonearm in sight, he pushes a button on the black box and the cartridge comes out like that. What kind of a console is this?
John's console.jpg
(75.81 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 19 Nov 2017 12:04

play it again sam.jpg
(38.55 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Woody Allen in Play it again Sam.

CCC74

Post by CCC74 » 19 Nov 2017 20:18

Okay not a record player, but analog. The girl with the dragon tattoo. During a pivotal scene Martin Vagner is listening to Enya on a reel to reel. There looks to be two tube power ams and a preamp. It looks like it might be a Mcintosh.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 20 Nov 2017 06:18

Though not a TV show or Movie about music, Baby Driver has a killer soundtrack.... :wink: =D> =D> =D>

Several scenes with turntables and vinyl media along with analog methods of production, ie magnetic strips on punch cards.

Killer remix cassette tape collection...... :wink:

Happy viewing edge of the seat getaways...... =D> =D> =D>

Fred

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 20 Nov 2017 07:49

Just saw "John and Mary" from 1969. I've never seen such a turntable before. There's no tonearm in sight, he pushes a button on the black box and the cartridge comes out like that. What kind of a console is this?
I don´t know the tt, but the way it looks like it must be an early linear player.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 20 Nov 2017 11:04

H. callahan wrote:
RockerFrank wrote:Just saw "John and Mary" from 1969. I've never seen such a turntable before. There's no tonearm in sight, he pushes a button on the black box and the cartridge comes out like that. What kind of a console is this?
I don´t know the tt, but the way it looks like it must be an early linear player.
So this is the linear tracking thing that everybody talks about. I never knew what that meant.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 21 Nov 2017 07:09

Well, yes and no.

It is a linear tracking tt, but the design is very unusual for a linear tt. It´s the first time i´ve seen such a linear tt. They usually rather look like this:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-lx500.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... l800.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/px-3.shtml

Linear tracking means that the cartridge always is parallel to the groove. A normal tt has a tonearm where the pivot is fixed and so the tonearm swings across the record and isn´t always parallel to the groove.
On a linear tt usually the pivot of the tonearm is on a base which moves from right to left during playback - so the cartridge is always parallel to the groove.

This special linear tt from "John and Mary" just moves the cartridge along the record. That´s a very unusual linear design, but also keeps the cartridge parallel to the groove all the time.

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 21 Nov 2017 09:01

H. callahan wrote:Well, yes and no.

It is a linear tracking tt, but the design is very unusual for a linear tt. It´s the first time i´ve seen such a linear tt. They usually rather look like this:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-lx500.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... l800.shtml
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/px-3.shtml

Linear tracking means that the cartridge always is parallel to the groove. A normal tt has a tonearm where the pivot is fixed and so the tonearm swings across the record and isn´t always parallel to the groove.
On a linear tt usually the pivot of the tonearm is on a base which moves from right to left during playback - so the cartridge is always parallel to the groove.

This special linear tt from "John and Mary" just moves the cartridge along the record. That´s a very unusual linear design, but also keeps the cartridge parallel to the groove all the time.
That was a great explanation, now I get it. Thanks!