the home of the turntable

Records played in movies and tv shows

name that tune

Records played in movies and tv shows

Postby Virta » 02 Oct 2016 06:35

There are not so many movies and tv show episodes where a vinyl record is played. They must be older ones.

Few nights ago I was watching the episode Isabel (1964) of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour where the main character (Isabel) was playing a classical record. It was a familiar one but I can't name it.

Does anyone know more..?
Virta

Finland

Re: Records played in movies and tv shows

Postby vinyl master » 02 Oct 2016 08:03

Hmmm...Weren't Barbara Barrie and Dabney Coleman featured in that episode? Barbara, I know, was later known for being Barney Miller's wife on TV...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Guest » 02 Oct 2016 10:06

When there is a turntable on TV or in a film, I am always curious as to which model it is. In the film "Saturday Night Fever", I was surprised to see the DJs using the Lenco L75 in the night-club scenes. I hadn't realised this turntable was used by DJs pre-SL1200. In the UK, I remember the Garrard SP25 and similar BSRs being the dominant DJ decks.

I've also noticed that actors don't often use the cueing lever or auto-function of turntables when playing records - they just plonk the arm onto the record by hand. There is a continuity gaffe in "Saturday Night Fever" when Tony plays "More Than A Woman" by Tavaras at dance practice. He puts on an LP but uses an auto-changer set to 7-inch, so the arm lands in the middle of the side. Then he takes the record to a different room but this time puts on the record by hand and plays the first track on the side. I've noticed other mistakes with turntables, such as a Michell Transcriptor turntable with an Ortofon OM cartridge in the British TV series "Heartbeat" that is set in the 1960s.

These days, you often see turntables in modern shows and adverts on TV in the UK - I think it is supposed to indicate sophistication.
Last edited by Guest on 02 Oct 2016 10:09, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Paul-H » 02 Oct 2016 10:08

Records regulaly seen playing in episodes of Frost, Bosch and Suits
Paul-H

England

Postby stuemper61 » 03 Oct 2016 07:47

... and Dr. House ...
Pro-Ject Perspective Anniversary / Pro-Ject Speedbox DS / Ortofon 2M Black / Vincent PHO 700 / Technics SL 10 / Ortofon X3 MCP / Hormann Supa 3.0 e / Vincent SV 236 MK II / Vincent CD S6 / Vincent STU3 / JBL Ti5000 modified
stuemper61
contributor

Germany

Postby vinyl master » 03 Oct 2016 08:02

stuemper61 wrote:... and Dr. House ...

He does love his Sota, doesn't he?

By the way, those records pictured are not ACTUAL titles, and only for the show...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby old steely » 03 Oct 2016 13:06

quite often see adds with vinyl in there somewhere,there's one that takes a journey
along a magnified groove 'has a beasty at the end'
diy steel deck, origin live,linn basic straight arm
croft micro 25,chord spa 1016,white van man speakers with fane
bass units
old steely

Postby Roberto C2H3 » 03 Oct 2016 13:54

In one of the new Star Trek movies young Kirk is having fun with two female aliens in bed whilst listening to a good ole vinyl record. Apparently there were no footfall issues in that bedroom :lol:
"Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none." Benjamin Franklin
Roberto C2H3
long player
long player

Argentina

Postby andybeau » 03 Oct 2016 13:56

The remake of 'The Mechanic' with Jason Statham has a nice system in it.

mechanic.jpg
andybeau
long player
long player

England

Postby Vinylfreak86 » 03 Oct 2016 14:50

As I remember, you can see turntables and vinyl records in lot of modern flms, and I can`t remember to see a compact disc any of these.:)
Vinylfreak86

Slovenia

Postby paki976 » 03 Oct 2016 17:22

Also in TV commercials....

https://youtu.be/UwThyRPek-4

Fabrizio
paki976
contributor

Italy

Postby vinyl master » 03 Oct 2016 17:28

I'm still having trouble placing this model...Records and turntables have also been featured in music videos...Can anyone identify the player here in this still from Kelly Clarkson's "Heartbeat Song" video?

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Virta » 04 Oct 2016 06:02

Vinylfreak86 wrote:As I remember, you can see turntables and vinyl records in lot of modern flms, and I can`t remember to see a compact disc any of these.:)

There is, at least, one: American Psycho where Christian Bale played some CDs like Phil Collins.

Virta

Finland

Postby buffalocarl » 04 Oct 2016 22:34

Here's one to scare the be-jeepers out of you!
https://youtu.be/8fbsA-jbc2s
buffalocarl

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 05 Oct 2016 05:07

Well, I saw this in a Jeep ad today...It features Cat Stevens' song, "If you want to sing out" from the film, "Harold & Maude"...Take a look at the opening shot...

First, I'm curious if anyone can name the cartridge and turntable (from the headshell) being used... :-k

Secondly, I find it interesting that this song was never released on a proper single or album in the 70's, and was only featured in the movie...There was no official soundtrack for "Harold & Maude", and the song only appeared on record for the first time in 1984, with the release of Cat Stevens' "Footsteps In The Dark, Greatest Hits Vol. 2"...It was on A&M, as well as a light blue-label Island release overseas...The stylus in the commercial is playing on the 4th track of that record, even though "If You Want To Sing Out" was listed as the 7th track on Side One of the 1984 compilation...

I guess I just find it interesting that whenever they actually show a turntable on TV, in print, or on film, they still get the details wrong...More fodder for those of us who analyze this stuff, apparently...
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records