Record show goodies!

name that tune
Slavikcc
Canada

Re: Record show goodies!

Post by Slavikcc » 22 Feb 2018 14:45

I haven't been to Montreal for the longest time but Beatnik Records, Aux 33 Tours, and Cheap Thrills are very good shops and was able to find music genres I'm looking for, mainly metal and punk.

Agreed about The Turning Point as I go through their CD sections and managed to get some really awesome finds. Their newly arrived LP's, particularly sought-after titles, tend to get picked through extremely fast but I think their prices are very good, IMHO.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 26 Apr 2018 05:22

I hope the Ottawa show was good for somebody here this week end. I ended up in the hospital with a nasty dental emergency and missed RSD 2018 as well. I am less 3 teeth and on soft food for a while. There may be more coming out too. Apparently there were multiple abcesses and a fever to boot. Not fun. I will have to shoot for the October show and Black Friday. As for my Christmas binge, finally paid off, JUST! Oh well, I am home now and will reacquaint myself with my turntable tomorrow when my neighbours can't object too loudly.

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 22 May 2018 07:10

Went to local 1st annual record show sunday morning.Was held in the parking lot of drumshop.A couple of record store owners brought stuff out and some other collectors brought out a nice selection of all different genres of music.There were 5 or 6 of us there when they opened it up at 8am,totally casual,no pushing or shoving to put up with,everybody getting to know each other and having a good time talking music,people trickling in and out until noon when they shut it down.Their talking about doing this 3or4 times a year so that would be cool.I even managed to buy a few albums,King Crimson"Red",Sammy Hagar"Street Machine" Return to Forever"Where have i known you before",Starcastle"Citadel",Maynard Ferguson"M.F.Horn,Buddy Rich"A Different Drummer"and Zebra"3".Looking forward to the next one.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 May 2018 08:11

Progman2112 wrote:Went to local 1st annual record show sunday morning.Was held in the parking lot of drumshop.A couple of record store owners brought stuff out and some other collectors brought out a nice selection of all different genres of music.There were 5 or 6 of us there when they opened it up at 8am,totally casual,no pushing or shoving to put up with,everybody getting to know each other and having a good time talking music,people trickling in and out until noon when they shut it down.Their talking about doing this 3or4 times a year so that would be cool.I even managed to buy a few albums,King Crimson"Red",Sammy Hagar"Street Machine" Return to Forever"Where have i known you before",Starcastle"Citadel",Maynard Ferguson"M.F.Horn,Buddy Rich"A Different Drummer"and Zebra"3".Looking forward to the next one.
See what I tell you guys! These things are addictive! Go to a record show, people! It's time well-spent!! =D>

Nice finds, by the way, Progman...You will often find stuff at the record shows that you thought you'd never see, are hard to find, or have been on your want list since like forever! :D

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 23 May 2018 02:36

vm,been wanting a clean copy of King Crimson "Red" and finally came across one for excellent price.Most everything was decently priced,a few dollar bins,and freebie classical and jazz box sets also.Started talking to someone about the band tour shirt he was wearing and come to find out a few of my buddies are guys he grew up and went to school with,small world as they say,that was very cool.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Feb 2019 10:07

OK, guys...If any one is interested, I ended up attending the latest rock swap the other day...Probably the third or fourth one I've been to...and again, it didn't disappoint...John and Miranda were there, as was my go-to guy Joe, but more on that in a second...I was actually out earlier in the day visiting one of my favorite new antique shops and bought a cache of these 80's buttons...All real vintage originals and no reproductions! Take a look! :D

Nice, eh? :D

According to the shop owner, these things are bound to go up in value and I was thinking of possibly framing them all somehow on a denim canvas...They all came off a vintage shirt, too! :-k

I also found this odd one...and I remember Dana Carvey's impression of him...

Anyway, I had a record show to go to, but instead of showing you what I got there, I should probably show you what I DIDN'T buy...Lemme tell ya, I felt like a kid in a candy store, and when you see the following pics, you might understand why...A dizzying, dazzling array of goodies! 8) If you're a soul, funk or jazz fan, you may recognize the next few pics...Even if you're just a music fan in general, check these out! These are all random pulls from the stacks...Incredible stuff! #-o

Let me know if I missed anything good here, too... :wink:

Here's one of Stephanie's earlier LP's...

Some space age jazz...

And then, this iconic one...

Followed by...

And then, Robert Palmer's first group...

A very cool soundtrack from The Godfather...

Some sweet soul...

And even THIS thing...

Check it out...

More jazz...

This must have been during Little Richard's turbulent period when he wanted to quit show business for good...

Look at the tracklisting...

And there were 45's, too! Here's one from Ivy Jo Hunter, who wrote (and co-wrote) countless songs for Motown like The Four Tops' "Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever" and Martha & The Vandellas' "Dancing In The Street" (later covered by Mick Jagger & David Bowie")...

Even the Queen was represented...

After all, this IS Detroit! :wink:

We have some Kenny Burrell, too...

And another Detroit label I had not heard of...

This one's for you, Tink...

Or maybe it's THIS one! :lol:

Or it could be this cassette tape, too...Another odd find in the stacks!

Here's one from Jon McLaughlin...

Or...ummm...

How about some political memorabilia now? Here are a couple of Reagan-related rarities...

Some albums were still sealed, like these...

Have you heard of the band Piper? :-k

Apparently, Billy Squier was a member...

There were newer albums, too...

...but before I get too far here, I must stop...

...and show you what I ACTUALLY bought! :lol:

First, though, take a look at the place...A lot of records to go through, for sure! :D

Even my man Joe had some great discounts! =D>

Lots of deals to be had and I bought a few of them, so here goes...

Here's a great album from the late Terry Callier...

And since we've been talking about Nat "King" Cole (on the 78' thread), I picked this one up cheap, as I didn't have it...

I also picked up some jazz LP's...

That last one features all the great session men like Lee Ritenour and Ernie Watts on it...

I found some cheap albums, too...If any of you are 5th Dimension or Glen Campbell fans, you might recognize the name Jimmy Webb...Here's an album of the man doing his own songs...

I never had a decent copy of this album, but even though it's a little beat-up, I wasn't gonna argue for $3.00...It's a jazz classic, for Pete's sake! :D

I also like to collect Beatles-related stuff, so I was thrilled to find this one... :mrgreen:

Then, we have a man who needs no introduction if you like odd records...

I mean, look at this! Anyone who writes songs like "Duet For Violin And Garbage Disposal" and "Wyatt Earp Makes Me Burp" automatically gets my vote! =D>

Look at the instruments used, too! :lol:

I also decided to go in a folkier direction this time around and when I saw these three albums from Donovan, I thought I would give them a chance...They were cheap enough, too...

I recently noticed that Linda Ronstadt's "new" album, her first LIVE album ("Live In Hollywood") has been gaining some traction...It's a collection culled from an old 1980 concert she put on...

But, I've been wanting to get into her earlier stuff, so I picked up these...

I also picked up this fine album from Melanie Safka...

But, I'm a soul fan at heart, so I had to add these to the collection...

I had Puzzle's second album, but I needed their first one...

My man John also recommended this one...He had it on repeated listens at the shop and loved it! =D>

I also have a copy of this one, but with a very different cover, so I got this "alternate" version...

Of course, soul, jazz, funk, folk and pop weren't the only genres I picked up...How 'bout some country, too? :-k I have to thank my dad for introducing me to ol' Possum here...I couldn't resist picking these two up, as I didn't have them and they're classics! 8)

And talk about your "Modern Sounds In Country & Western Music", I had to buy this one from "Uncle Ray", although it's something a little bluesier than the norm...

And I can't believe I didn't have a decent copy of this one, but when I saw it, I thought I'd give it another chance...Stellar condition, too! :D

I bought a couple of 45's, too...I like to collect odd TV themes, and I couldn't pass up Al Hirt doing the Monkees theme! I mean, who WOULD???! :D

And then, here's a later one from The Spinners...

But the piece-de-resistance was this one...I'm a huge Lonnie Liston Smith fan and to find this one, especially signed by the man, was like finding PURE GOLD! Peace and love, indeed!! 8)

Cool, eh??? 8)

Now, records weren't the only things I bought...I bought a few more buttons...Being a Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye fan, I had to have these...

CKLW and WJZZ were classic radio stations in this area and are still fondly remembered! :D

Of course, those were NEW buttons...Look at the shiny back...

As you can see the old ones have a lot more rust! :wink:

I also picked up some cool stickers...

Something to add to one of my turntable covers possibly... :-k

Of course, I had to stop into f.y.e. on the way back...Some things never change! #-o

Although I didn't buy any, they still had lots of records! 8-[

And although I am a Bob Ross fan, I didn't know these things existed...Wow! :shock:

Crazy, eh? :crazy:

Makes me wonder what "happy little trees" these guys are smoking... :-k

And trust me, I had plenty of positive energy without needing to drink this! #-o

Oh well...

After all that, I think I'm gonna paint myself into a corner and just enjoy some music to beat these winter blues! \:D/

If any of you have any more thoughts, feel free to add them here...Otherwise, I hope you guys have a chance to go to a similar show near you...Trust me, if you're a music fan, you won't be disappointed! If all else fails, you'll meet some great people and talk music! What's not to love about THAT??? :D

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 19 Feb 2019 11:08

Those look like some great finds vinyl master! 8)

It sounds like a fun day all around, just checking out all the cool records and other finds.

I like the Jimmy Webb LP. I know he did some work with BJ Thomas and they even shared that same hair style. He also did some stuff with Art Garfunkel but thankfully he didn't share the same hairstyle as Art!

I'm still looking for that Al Hirt Green Hornet LP, and maybe some day I will find it at a reasonable price too.

The buttons are nice finds too and will look great in a frame as you suggest. =D>

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 20 Feb 2019 06:04

I always liked the Spike Jones records. I got a kick out of reading the instrument list :lol:

JoeE SP9
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 20 Feb 2019 19:53

Freddie Hubbard, Red Clay highly recommended. I have an original CTI LP.