the home of the turntable

Record show goodies!

name that tune

Record show goodies!

Postby vinyl master » 24 Jan 2016 10:44

Well, my friends...Today, I had a little mid-winter fun! :D There was a local record show going on in my area that was sponsored by one of our classic rock stations...They held it down at one of our malls, and I decided I was going to check it out...I got to meet some really nice people, hear some really cool stories, and even meet one of the local morning show guys on the radio...It was absolutely fantastic, and I got to share some of my knowledge, and learn a few things or two...And by the way, don't ever say there aren't female collectors out there, because I SAW A FEW, and talked to them! :shock: Of course, they were buying up as many Barry Manilow albums as they could find... :lol: but still, they were out in full force! Actually, one of them was very nice, and her musical knowledge was fairly extensive...Of course, she doesn't get out much due to a pressing health condition, but she was in the area visiting family, went shopping, and thought she'd stop on by to browse the records...It was really a cool thing, and I got to meet a few local vendors...I had a good time...Members of one of our local 60's garage bands, Frijid Pink, even stayed around to sign autographs and sell some t-shirts...They had CD's, LP's, 45's, and tons of different memorabilia...One guy even had SEALED 8-tracks still in the package! And stuff like Parliament-Funkadelic, The Siegel-Schwall Band, Hot Tuna, and many more! There were tables going down one aisle of the mall, and tables going down the other aisle, with the classic rock station broadcasting in the middle... 8)

In any case, I thought I'd show you some of the cool goodies I picked up today...

I first stopped at the $1 bins of one of the sellers, and picked up these...

I'm not sure who these guys are, but it looked like an interesting album...Maybe one of you could tell me more...

I have most of Spike's records, but somehow a nice copy of this eluded me...

I saw this one, and it looked up my alley, as I saw the Bacharach cover...I like people like Brook Benton, Gene McDaniels, Walter Jackson, and Sam Cooke, so I think this might be a goodie in the same vein...

I know the Minstrels did folk, and I just mentioned them on another thread, but I had no idea they covered Motown! :shock: This should be an interesting listen! :D

I've been looking for this album for a while...I have the original versions of Umberto Tozzi's "Gloria" and RAF's "Self-Control", both big hits for Laura Branigan, but I recently discovered that French singer Martine Clemenceau had the original version of "Solitaire", so I had to knock this one off my list...

I love good Brazilian jazz like Stan Getz, Luis Bonfa, Astrud Gilberto, etc. I think I might be pleased by this...

I've mentioned Julian Bream's definitive playing of Rodrigo, and this one was $1.00, so I couldn't pass it up!

I have mentioned these guys on the "Worst Records In History" thread...So, I thought it about time to have one of their proper albums!

For $1.00, you can't go wrong with an extra "test record"!

I also picked up these LP's, also for $1.00...

BOBBI WALKER Diamond In The Rough (Good pop-soul!)
AMERICAN STANDARD BAND S/T

Aside from chatting up some guys and recommending some good stuff, I also picked up a few 45's...

I know Darlene Love had a record number of appearances on David Letterman's Christmas shows, but I had not seen this 45' from her, and one guy had 3 or 4 copies...I'm usually lucky to find good stuff, when I see several copies of the same record...

Another picture sleeve I didn't have!

This one is just plain weird, so I had to have it!

Yet, another great sleeve I did not have, and I like the disco-era picture sleeves...

This one is weird...I know of producer William Orbit...Didn't he do "Ray Of Light" for Madonna? Anyway, this looks like one of his 80's outings...

I also met up with a vendor who had an actual hip-pocket disc player...He proceeded to play a record on it, so I could hear the fidelity...It's OK with some of the small hole 45's, but I won't be buying one anytime soon...I hear they cost a mint anyway...But, I did pick up THREE of the most wanted hip-pocket discs on my list...Some good ones here!

I even picked up this great "singles" book...Should be a fun read, as I like the backstories on my favorite hits...

Here's a colored 45' I'd heard about, but never saw in the flesh until today, and since I like the Brian Setzer Orchestra stuff, I knew I had to have this...The guy even threw in a James Brown 45' and two others for free...

As people were packing up, I happened to walk by one vendor's booth, and looked at some 45's...He asked if I wanted them...I was just looking...He said I could have the whole box for $10, if I wanted...I thought, why not! :D So, later, as I was looking through them, I found some real goodies...

Here's the stack...

Here are a few that I found inside...

Of course, it's Detroit...There's bound to be some Iggy Pop around...

And then, I found all these...Have any of you guys ever heard The Jon Butcher Axis?

And then, I found this great Todd Rundgren picture disc...

All in all, I say it was a good day! If you guys have any great record show pics, goodies or reminiscences you'd like to share, by all means, you should add them to this thread...

Finally, when I got home, I saw that Santa had left a belated package on my doorstep...He apparently couldn't get to all the good little boys and girls in time, so he's making up for lost time now!

Some cool items he gave me...

I guess I was a good boy this past year! :wink: :mrgreen:

Now, comes the listening part! =D>
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Record show goodies!

Postby Tinkaroo » 24 Jan 2016 13:04

That looks like a good haul of records you found which should provide some very interesting listening. 8)

I'm sure there are women out there who listen to all kinds of music, besides Barry Manilow however. #-o
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Kurt45 » 24 Jan 2016 14:18

I just played the classical side of the Fisher Fidelity Standard LP yesterday. The Stravinsky track sounds great. I also have the Julian Bream LP. That Laurindo Almeida and Charlie Byrd LP looks like a winner.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby vinyl master » 25 Jan 2016 05:49

Tinkaroo wrote:That looks like a good haul of records you found which should provide some very interesting listening. 8)

I'm sure there are women out there who listen to all kinds of music, besides Barry Manilow however. #-o

Oh, I'm sure there are, Tink...I was just kidding about the Barry Manilow part...One of them bought a David Cassidy, too! :wink: Actually, in all seriousness, I was talking to one woman who was a huge Hank Williams, Jr. fan...She loves the Traveling Wilburys and Roy Orbison, and she knew all of the backstories on them...I could have talked with her for hours on the topic of music! She knew about various pressings, and was just an encyclopedia of knowledge! But, the nice thing was...There was such a diverse crowd of people there...Everybody was there! Old "hippies" with white ponytails...Young guys with baseball caps and sports jerseys...Older couples browsing together...Teenage girls laughing over some weird-looking album covers...Radio station personnel chatting with the patrons...You had guys that knew nothing more about turntables than the Crosley they just bought at fye, and others like one guy who had a $12,000 turntable...Another bespectacled patron was going fom vendor to vendor, asking if they had any classical stuff...It was a nice thing to see, and a very good sign for our hobby that they had such a good turnout...This was the first "classic rock swap" the station put on, and from all involved, it sounds like it was a success...I even got on one guy's mailing list, so I can check out the next one...Maybe they'll do it again in the spring, or at least next year...Speaking of fye, just for fun, I thought I'd stop in there to see what the hubbub was about...I took a look at their vinyl section, and wanted to see the going rate of their reissues...They had Beatles albums all over the shop, but they were really promoting the "Straight Outta Compton" movie, and they had a bunch of 2Pac vinyl at the front of the store...I was not impressed with their prices and selection, though :? , and I already had a bag full of vinyl, anyway...They did have some nice Crosleys and Ions stacked up in a corner, though, including the new Crosley Switch player...Meh, I say... :roll:

Anyway, it was still a good time...I felt bad for some of the vendors, though...It took some of them 2-3 hours to set up, and about the same time to dismantle everything...The older one gets, the heavier their albums get! I saw a lot of records that were just too prohibitive to buy...Signed memorabilia and photos...There was a great Roy Orbison picture sleeve and Bill Haley EP I missed...I wanted this Robert Gordon white vinyl, too, but I think I'll wait until next time...I'm pretty happy with what I found, and I got several contacts for future purchases, as well...Should be really fun, if they do this again! I talked to one of the morning show guys, too, and he told me some good Bob Seger stories...He's planning on interviewing Bob this week on his show, and talk about Bob's good friend, Glenn Frey, which I guess has been a hard loss for everyone...It should be a good interview...It's nice to know that we still have the music, though...

Have any of you guys attended a record show lately? If not, I behoove you to check one out, if there's one in your area...They really are a lot of fun, and you'll meet some interesting people, who share the same passion you do...

What about you, Tink? Do they have any of those up there in Halifax? :-k Have you ever been here?

http://blackbuffalorecords.ca/

I hear they're putting on a record fair in the spring, too! =P~
Last edited by vinyl master on 25 Jan 2016 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby circularvibes » 25 Jan 2016 06:01

vinyl master wrote:Speaking of fye, They did have some nice Crosleys and Ions stacked up in a corner, though, including the new Crosley Switch player...Meh, I say... :roll:

You should have brought your bowling ball to FYE. We used to have a TV show called "Bowling For Dollars", I would go to see a show called "Bowling At Crosleys". I am glad you had fun at the show. I did a bit of dealing at a few shows in Ontario. It was great fun, but no profit. The big fun, besides buying and trading discs, was chatting with fellow music lovers, and travelling for free. I always made my travel, wage and eating costs, but no more.
circularvibes

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 25 Jan 2016 06:09

circularvibes wrote:
vinyl master wrote:Speaking of fye, They did have some nice Crosleys and Ions stacked up in a corner, though, including the new Crosley Switch player...Meh, I say... :roll:

You should have brought your bowling ball to FYE. We used to have a TV show called "Bowling For Dollars", I would go to see a show called "Bowling At Crosleys". I am glad you had fun at the show. I did a bit of dealing at a few shows in Ontario. It was great fun, but no profit. The big fun, besides buying and trading discs, was chatting with fellow music lovers, and travelling for free. I always made my travel, wage and eating costs, but no more.

Hey circularvibes...It might be fun to attend one of those again...but this time, as a patron and not as a dealer...And then, do like Yogi Berra said, and "observe a lot by watching!" If you're a people-watcher, you'll see and hear (and sometimes overhear) some great people and conversations! :D I highly recommend it! =D>

By the way, we had a show called "Bowling For Dollars", too, here in Detroit back in the 60's...It was hosted by this guy named Bob Allison, who was a TV and radio personality back in the day...He's still around, as they recently tried to revive the show for the new millennium...They did a one-off broadcast, but it was fun!
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby circularvibes » 25 Jan 2016 06:36

Hey Vinyl Master, shows are great as a dealer, you get in early, chat with dealers as equals, not rivals, and chat and watch all day. My profit came from buying 6000+ LP's for $150, skimming about 2500 for myself and selling the rest at $1 each, with the price going down throughout the show. I usually ended with selling "fill a box for $30" for the last 2 hours. I would bring enough to fill the table twice and take home half a table, unless I got a good offer from another dealer. Being a dealer means always having a place for your coffee too! As a patron, you still find stuff, don't have to part with anything, and can still talk, but in smaller amounts. I have done both, just more dealing. I just haven't got the back to lug 1500 records around for a day and put them away again. I don't have the means to travel either like I used to. I would hire a friend with a licence and credit card to chauffeur me. I used to watch "BFD" on CKCO in Kitchener, Ontario, but forget who was the emcee in the 70's. I missed the 60's by 23 months. No, "BFD" doesn't mean big furry deal! I miss the shows around the province, but go to local ones in Ottawa. I just don't stay long as I have issues with crowds, tight places and *******s who try to butt in front of you to get a deal before you, and oh yeah, noise from all directions drives me insane unless it is surround sound music. Being a dealer lets me stay longer and tolerate it more. Maybe I should find a few big scores again! Back to your regularly scheduled program of Bowling at Crosleys!
circularvibes

Canada

Postby Tinkaroo » 25 Jan 2016 12:12

There are occasionally record shows around, but I haven't been to one for quite some time.

I prefer to shop at my leisure without having to elbow my way into a row of records, although I used to do so years ago.

I have a good record store I can go to once in a while, and pick up some at the flea market or occasionally online. I tend to look for bargains and run away from overpriced and over-hyped stuff. The other day I paid 6 dollars for my double Nat King Cole and 3 for the double Dan Fogelberg both in great shape. These are Canadian dollars which are usually only good for lining hamster cages with, so those aren't bad prices.

Some guy in a local store had some OK records he wanted between 8 and 15 dollars each for, but most of it was junk and the best of the lot may have been worth 5 dollars.

Now how did we miss out on that David Cassidy? I think I may have him covering Cherish on a 45 in the archives. How soon they forget Bobby Sherman!

PS- Bowling for Dollars was a great bit of low budget Canadiana, but I think Bowling down Crosleys would be a bigger hit and equally low budget.
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby vinyl master » 26 Jan 2016 07:33

Tinkaroo wrote:Now how did we miss out on that David Cassidy? I think I may have him covering Cherish on a 45 in the archives. How soon they forget Bobby Sherman!

PS- Bowling for Dollars was a great bit of low budget Canadiana, but I think Bowling down Crosleys would be a bigger hit and equally low budget.

I haven't forgotten, Tink...

I didn't forget this guy, either...

It seems the 70's were full of "teen idols", weren't they? :-k

And yes, Bowling for Crosleys would be fun! How does the Crosley Demolition Derby sound?

What I'd love to see is David Copperfield put a Crosley behind a curtain, set it on fire, and seconds later, pull the curtain to reveal (presto, chango!) a sparkling new U-Turn! Forget the Statue of Liberty...I'd like to see a Crosley (well, all Crosleys for that matter...) DISAPPEAR! :lol:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 26 Jan 2016 12:31

I think there are probably more teen idols around today than back then,but there were others before these ones too. :shock:

I think I have a 45 of Bobby Sherman doing Julie Do Ya Love Me deep in the archives.

I remember the Osmonds came out with One Bad Apple, while The Jacksons came out with Mama's Pearl at the same time if my memory serves me well. Donny's voice hadn't changed yet so they both sounded similar.

The girls used to chase my brother around in those days since he did bear some resemblance to Donny and dressed pretty stylish at the time. He hated it, especially when they called him Donny! :lol:
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby vinyl master » 20 Feb 2017 08:28

OK, so on Saturday, I went back to the 2nd annual "Classic Rock Swap" at one of our local malls...I was worried that it was only going to be a one-time thing, as I hadn't heard any word about it, but on a whim, I looked it up, and found out that they were holding it this weekend, almost a month from when they held it the last time...Anyway, I decided to go and I'm glad I did! :D

I had a ball of a time! =D>

First off, there was more of a mixed crowd this time...I talked to some vendors and collectors who knew what they were talking about...It's nice when you can talk to a die-hard metalhead about the differences between Herbie Hancock's "Man-Child" and "Headhunters" albums... :wink: There were guys and gals of all stripes buying albums...A teenage girl had some very good taste in soul music...She was picking out stuff from Curtis Mayfield, Sly & The Family Stone and The Commodores..."Oh, these are not for me", she said, "They're a present for my dad on his birthday!" Good daughter, I say, but I still told her to have a listen herself...It's all very good stuff! I talked to another young guy who was geeking out about all the local celebrities he's met...He had pictures on his phone of all of them...He told me about the time he met Peter Wolf of The J. Geils Band...Nice guy! He even told me a story of meeting Mr. Question Mark of Question Mark & The Mysterians (real name: Rudy Martinez)...According to him, the man believes he's from another world, another planet, and they had a long conversation about his galactic travels...Well, "The Mysterians" is an old sci-fi film, so maybe there's something to ?'s obsession with the otherworldly...Who knows? I would've just loved to be a fly on the wall during that conversation, though! =P~ I talked to several owners of local record shops (Blast From The Past, Flipside Records) and also had some discussions about the vinyl resurgence...Some of them even had their kids helping out...One guy had a table full of nothing but KISS merchandise, another featured an author signing a book he wrote about the famed Detroit landmark, the Grande Ballroom, and yet another had a full box of SEALED Beatles 8-tracks going for $20-40 a pop! :shock: Judging from the crowd, it wasn't a bad turnout, although some of the vendors thought it was better last year...Of course, they had the band Frijid Pink signing autographs, too, during the first one...Still, the radio station was broadcasting and there was lots to see and good deals to be had...I actually bought more for others than I thought I would this time around, and they will be receiving a few surprises soon! :wink: I only wish I could've picked up a few more items...I passed on a few things, but I did pick up some goodies like the following...

Oh, and by the way, disregard any prices you see, as many of these sellers were motivated to move their vinyl quickly...There were lots of dollar bins and many titles were half-off their original prices, so here we go...

First, I had to add to my jazz collection...Since I like my jazz a little funky, I couldn't pass this one up at $1.00...This one has been sampled by lots of hip-hop guys, as well!

I found a better copy of this LP, too...Funky space disco, which I like, and a local guy who worked with Dennis Coffey...

Here, take a listen...

Speaking of funky disco, I also scored these two very cheaply...

The covers seemed to speak to me, too...Here's another funky one I bought for the cover...

It's good some good stuff in the mold of Parliament-Funkadelic, though, like this one...

In the wake of Al Jarreau's passing, I did not have some of his earlier albums, so I also picked this one up...

Nice and smooth one...Here, take a listen!

Here's a group out of Canada that I recognized from their later hits, "I'll Know Her When I See Her" and "Show Some Emotion"...This was their debut LP...Sounds a little like CSN in spots, too...

I also picked up this Duke Jupiter album for the cover...

I thought I would take a chance on this one from the leader of The Siegel-Schwall Band...It was only $1.00 again, and I'd kept hearing and seeing his name last year...

I'd mentioned Joe Pass' name before for his work with Ella Fitzgerald, but I don't much of his solo stuff, other than the "Stones Jazz" album and one other one...I couldn't pass this one up for $1.00...

I found a few 45's, too...One was an EP that featured a man I'd mentioned before, Mr. Wilbert Longmire...Rodney Franklin is on this one, with a couple of unknowns, so I thought I'd take a chance on it for a couple bucks...

I found these picture sleeves from Sir Paul, Brian Wilson and Bread that I had been missing...

I also caught this Ray Charles album that I'd been missing...It's interesting to hear how he takes on the late 70's sound...

And then, being a Stevie Wonder fan, I was always curious about this album, which features an instrumental side to him that few ever hear...$4.00, but I think a worthy addition to the collection!

By the way, this is a fabulous duet with the great Toots Thielemans!

And then, I just had to have this one for the cover alone...Her name was mentioned in another thread, and I think I'm going to frame this one!

All in all, I think it was a good time had by all, and there was much more to see and buy....I brought my "want list", but oddly enough, I didn't find much of anything on it...I have most of the rock records I want, so now, I'm trying to fill in my jazz and funk collection, but it's getting harder to find some of the rarer titles...I was introduced, though, to a great band called the LA4...One of the vendors said he uses this album to demo his turntable, a Linear Sony played through a Denon amp...Take a listen...

There are still more shows yet to come (even a few of the high schools are apparently putting some on now...), and then the Antique Show in the summer, so I'll keep my eyes peeled...I still say...If any of you guys have a good record show in your area worth attending, I say check it out! You might just find a long-lost gem you were looking for, or didn't know you needed in the first place! 8)

Plus, you haven't lived until you've gotten yourself dirty, rummaging through boxes of old records! Plus, the smell of the dust is intoxicating! :lol:
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Kurt45 » 20 Feb 2017 14:11

Wow - you have some great prices in your area. Joe Pass "Virtuoso" for $1 is quite a find. I hadn't heard of that Stevie Wonder LP -- something to look out for. Thanks for the pics and videos.
Kurt45
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tinkaroo » 20 Feb 2017 15:51

It looks like you had a good time and found some great records at the same time!

I really like the Stevie Wonder and Ray Charles albums.

Twenty to forty bucks for Beatles eight tracks? seriously! :lol:
Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict

Postby Kyluckyman » 20 Feb 2017 18:52

I remember Jon Buther Axis from the days I lived in the Merrimack Valley region outside of Boston. This was in the early 80's.

His band would play a place now long gone called "Mr. C's" on occasion. It was one of those venues that let everybody in for like 3 bucks but you had to be 21 to drink. They stamped your hand the appropriate color and sold 50 cent well drinks.

So going to Mr. C's, seeing a great band and getting a bit hammered was a favorite activity then.

We have a record show coming to Nashville on May 21. We are already making plans to attend and bring some records/cd's to sell or trade. We had a great time last year!
Kyluckyman

United States of America

Postby J. S. Bach » 26 Feb 2017 00:58

vinyl master wrote: ...snip...
For $1.00, you can't go wrong with an extra "test record"!
...snip...

For some odd reason, that record is next to the computer; well, not odd, just plain old-fashioned laziness. It has been resting there for over a year! #-o
J. S. Bach

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records