6.jpg
(414.68 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times
When Columbia was still educating their public :lol:
6.1.jpg
(748.1900000000001 KiB) Downloaded 1347 times

johnnywalker

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by johnnywalker » 07 Oct 2015 15:26

Because of this thread, I have pulled out all of my Sibelius records; I have not listened to them in awhile.

I have the Colin Davis/BSO set of his symphonies, which I prefer overall. Individually, though, I prefer my LPs of the 2nd by Barbirolli/RPO, and of the 4th by Karajan/BPO. Magnificent music!

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 07 Oct 2015 15:59

I know the Pacific 231, about a locomotive 'taking off'. The 231 refers to the wheel config. Euro style, in the UK it would be 462, like 'The Mallard'.

The picture is of the Charles Bridge, over the Vltava in Prague, which is the first movement of Bedřich Smetana's Má Vlast Moldau (Vltava). :D

I have found Supraphon to be a good label.

This year is the 150th anniversary of Jean Sibelius' birth. On radio 3 tomorrow night, the BBC SSO are playing Sibelius' 5th 6th and 7th (in that order) one after the other. My fav Sibelius symphony is the 2nd.

The ending of the 5th involves six staggered chords of the final cadence, each separated by silence. For me, this makes or breaks the experience, get the timing wrong, and it's a nonsense. It must involve the natural reverberation time of the venue. (a personal view).

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 07 Oct 2015 18:10

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 07 Oct 2015 19:17

johnnywalker wrote:Because of this thread, I have pulled out all of my Sibelius records; I have not listened to them in awhile.

I have the Colin Davis/BSO set of his symphonies, which I prefer overall. Individually, though, I prefer my LPs of the 2nd by Barbirolli/RPO, and of the 4th by Karajan/BPO. Magnificent music!
So glad to hear this thread is a catalyst for dusting off and spinning some of those often neglected albums :D

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 08 Oct 2015 00:50

cats squirrel wrote:yes, Ravel wrote some lovely music, and orchestrated others' works, although many will nly know Bolero.

Look for Daphnis and Chloe, (often coupled with La Mer, by Debussy on LP).
His piano concerti, The Mother Goose Suite, and end with La Valse, almost macabre!

And if you like Ravel's music, you may like Ralph Vaughan Williams', his symphonies, as he was a pupil of Ravel, one of only a few. :D
Thanks for tips, have quite a few Ravel pieces, also enjoy RVW

cats squirrel wrote:one thing that is often overlooked with classical music is the performance of the piece. That is, how the piece is played. Each band has their sound, and each conductor their take on things, and of course, there is is still the influence of the surroundings and balance the engineer has produced. All in all, making a unique experience.
This is very true, at first it's just about discovering the music, but quickly the difference a performance can make becomes clear, turning something rather dull and flat into something bright and engaging. And as you say many factors go to influence this. It can be hard to give a definitive though, as stated, I've sometimes preferred a not so highly rated recording/performance, it's very much a personal thing.
Interestingly the video clip I picked for 'Pavane' was a new version to me and seemed to me rather good, the individual instrumental parts were very clear, it had a clarity sometimes lost in this piece.

Paul

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Oct 2015 04:42

I think what I like the most about classical music of any style, is the fact that there is the element of 'interpretation' by the conductor, as well, though to a lesser degree, of the instrumentalists. After all, the conductor will study the music and make whatever interpretational analysis of the original score and then, use the orchestra to 'interpret' that musical score; either maintaining a serious fidelity to what the composer intended, or not. I know there have been serious research studies made about the effect of 'tempo' interpretations on the music of Beethoven, and others.

What I enjoy most about music in general, and specific performances in particular is experiencing the "interpretation" of a piece by a conductor and the orchestra he/she manages. After all, you cannot go 'rogue' when you are part of an ensemble. The conductor, if authoritarian, will rein you in if you try anything funny. There have been studies made on the influence the style of the conductor has on the aesthetic aspects of an interpretation: "What we found is the more the influence of the conductor to the players, the more aesthetic — aesthetically pleasing the music was overall," wrote Yiannis Aloimonos, of the University of Maryland, in a study about "Leadership in Orchestra Emerges from the Causal Relationships of Movement Kinematics"

I think, there are may aesthetic aspects that very much influence the 'experience' of listening to music; "classial' or otherwise. Nevertheless, I think I like what Joseph Conrad said about his aim as a fiction writer which, I think would also apply to the composer "My task which I am trying to achieve is, by the power of the written word, to make you hear, to make you feel--it is, before all, to make you see--That and no more, and it is everything." :D

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Oct 2015 04:48

Which is your favorite interpretation? I love Callas, but Fernandez gives me goose pimples!

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 08 Oct 2015 16:54

firstly, I must admit to not being a great fan of such music.

Fernandez' voice is far too forward in the mix, and the band suppressed. Callas is far too far back in the mix, and it is not easy to hear every word, but the band is superb. Netrebko would be my preference for the right balance and not too much vibrato! :D

YMMV.

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 08 Oct 2015 16:55

This is a bit off subject, but did the "loudness war" ever affect the recording of classical music? I'm guessing not. Imagine a Bolero that started out as loud as the ending! :shock:
I have some recordings that are so quiet in parts that you can hardly hear it. The dynamic range is so broad and important to the impact of the recording.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 08 Oct 2015 17:45

to my knowledge, not directly, but there are issues. Dynamic range on a disc is related to groove depth, so the bigger the grooves the louder a sound might be, especially in the bass. So look at the grooves and see if they are widely spaced, this should indicate good dynamic range. But with compilation discs, or re-issues, to get more on the disc, groove spacing is often reduced, along with dynamic range.
One reason why re-issues don't generally sound as good (there are exceptions, of course).

In the UK, classical music can be supplied by BBC Radio3 or Classic FM. The BBC have a very wide dynamic range, but Classic FM is quite narrow, almost to the point of giving no pleasure. Probably aimed at the motorist, but even on a car system, its not good!

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Oct 2015 18:11

cats squirrel wrote:firstly, I must admit to not being a great fan of such music..
I think it's an acquired taste. I have often wondered about how people develop their tastes in music. I imagine early exposure has a lot to do with it. There was a recent push to introduce music in the womb! Supposedly to help develop your unborn baby's neurons :shock: ...
Baby_beethoven_cd_full.jpg
(35.84 KiB) Downloaded 1332 times
Of course, there's no proof, I don't think..... Like the study reported in the Guardian that finds that Mozart and Metallica fans share a delicate disposition. :lol:

http://gu.com/p/2vp4q/stw

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 08 Oct 2015 18:25

For me , My parents played some classical music to me as a child growing up, neither were musicians but they liked some classical music and they were very much of the early HiFi generation of the 1950s. I think I actually got interested through the cross over of film music. Some films used classical pieces and I wanted to hear more, some classical composers wrote for films , and many film composers are heavily influenced by classical composers . I love Rozsa , Korngold, Herrmann , Walton, Prokofiev all of whom wrote for film .

Something that my love of Rock , Prog and Psychedlia brings is an interest in the forgotten and obscure, and there is a lot of classical music in this area. There are composers rarely or never performed or recorded, which I find fascinating, sad and I try to listen. I once saw a documentary by Ken Russell on forgotten British composers, and that has been an interesting world of discovery. I think it touches a bit on a point made earlier in the thread about Nationalism in music, we hear the familiar in certain sound worlds. I guess any Finn has grown up with Sibelius in the background, even without neccesarily knowing what it was.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Oct 2015 19:23

jives11 wrote:For me , My parents played some classical music to me as a child growing up, neither were musicians but they liked some classical music and they were very much of the early HiFi generation of the 1950s. I think I actually got interested through the cross over of film music. Some films used classical pieces and I wanted to hear more, some classical composers wrote for films , and many film composers are heavily influenced by classical composers . I love Rozsa , Korngold, Herrmann , Walton, Prokofiev all of whom wrote for film .

Something that my love of Rock , Prog and Psychedlia brings is an interest in the forgotten and obscure, and there is a lot of classical music in this area. There are composers rarely or never performed or recorded, which I find fascinating, sad and I try to listen. I once saw a documentary by Ken Russell on forgotten British composers, and that has been an interesting world of discovery. I think it touches a bit on a point made earlier in the thread about Nationalism in music, we hear the familiar in certain sound worlds. I guess any Finn has grown up with Sibelius in the background, even without neccesarily knowing what it was.
The music of Arnold Bax brings me close to the influence of classical and film scores. I was introduced to his music serendipitously while 'browsing' at Olssons Books and records(defucnt), nearly twenty years ago. His works are not as well known as those of most European composers. Which brings me to my other inquiry... Are there any composers, not part of the "Canon," particularly contemporary, that we should be paying attention to? (any non-European?)

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Oct 2015 19:36

Just to answer my own inquiry, I have a few albums by Vangelis, who was introduced to me by BLADE RUNNER, here's his wiki entry, for those unfamiliar with the man:

"Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou (Greek: Ευάγγελος Οδυσσέας Παπαθανασίου [evˈaɲɟelos oðiˈseas papaθanaˈsiu]; born 29 March 1943), known professionally as Vangelis (Greek: Βαγγέλης [vaɲˈɟelis]; English pronunciation: /væŋˈɡɛlɨs/[1]), is a Greek composer of electronic, progressive, ambient, jazz, pop rock, and orchestral music. He is best known for his Academy Award–winning score for the film Chariots of Fire, composing scores for the films Antarctica, Blade Runner, Missing, 1492: Conquest of Paradise, and Alexander, and the use of his music in the PBS documentary Cosmos: A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan."