Page 4 of 133

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 19:57
by jives11
My plan is to feed a single corner horn from one channel with the switch set to mono. Will require me swapping the cables when I'm in a mono mood. Actually in my living room I find mono is the best home theatre experience when watching movies through conventional stereo systems, other wise the image is wider than the TV which seems odd to me. Mono sounds "right" even if its wrong on paper.

BTW the Richter recording of Beethoven's Apassionata sonata is thrilling, if the sound is rather recessed and old. In places he's so fast it almost seems like the tape can't keep up.

just enjoying the tube trains during Neptune. It was recorded before
"Mind the gap !"

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 20:36
by cats squirrel
if you haven't tried already, I can recommend the Amadeus Quartet play the late Beethoven quartets (that's late quartets, although Beethoven wasn't clinging to his mortal coil for long after these). I have examples of others playing, but this is a good set, on DDG. And no underground sounds, not even from those building tunnels under the Berlin wall!

Maybe you should start a thread about extraneous noises on discs. I'll make a note of the ones I find from now on. Recorded rumble is another intrusion! :x

Amadeus playing Beethoven, problem of not looking at the bigger picture when naming, I'm afraid. All too often found in company names... #-o

Saw the 'Planets' at the Proms once. When it came to the chorus, they were installed up in the Gods, behind the Organ. As the singing died away, they went through the glass doors, and the doors closed behind them, accompanied by a loud squeak from the hinges! In fact, for many many years, the door hinges onto the stage at the RAH squealed a few seconds in on every performance, as the doors were closed. Not to mention the thuds from the podium as 'active' conductors cavorted upon it. How we laughed....NOT.

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 20:42
by jives11
Thanks for that. I have the Hollywood Quartet version on CD , which is an old recording but very good, but I'll look out for your vinyl version.

yes - extraneous noises. the Julian Bream record of the music of Albeniz and Granados has a bird chirping in the Chapel on the final Cordoba - actually adds to the beauty of the performance somehow

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 22:34
by C2H3Cln2
Columbia Masterworks. The Philadelphia Orchestra / Eugene Ormandy - Sibelius: Symphony No. 2 In D Major, Op. 43. Columbia Masterworks U.S. - 1957
sb3.JPG
(656.96 KiB) Downloaded 1576 times
sb.JPG
(316.85 KiB) Downloaded 1572 times
sb2.JPG
(294.41 KiB) Downloaded 1575 times

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 23:08
by C2H3Cln2
Rudolf Serkin and the Columbia Symphony Orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy.Piano Concerto No. 1 In G Minor, No. 2 in D Minor, For Piano And Orchestra Op. 25
serk2.JPG
(629.48 KiB) Downloaded 1574 times
serk.JPG
(418.6 KiB) Downloaded 1570 times
serk3.JPG
(320.04 KiB) Downloaded 1573 times

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 05 Oct 2015 23:21
by C2H3Cln2
Here's an interesting editorial that appeared in the Absolute Sound magazine recently: "When recording technology distorts musical meaning."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/article ... l-meaning/

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 00:42
by cats squirrel
totally agree with that. It is, perhaps, a reflection of the 'digital age' that we have to employ such excessive techniques.

I remember playing in large orchestras, and hearing all the players with just two ears. Why would we need any more than two microphones? And yes, we need to preserve the phase relationships, not that some hifi kit can do that!


As regards the Sibelius 2nd, I have, maybe half a dozen renditions, but not by Ormandy, not someone I would normally listen to, bit too brash for me. Sibelius is about the steely Finnish landscape. It needs a very sympathetic reading.

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 07:43
by jives11
I have this set which is very good. For me the 7th is the one, everything he had to say distilled into a single 20 minute movement.

http://img.cdandlp.com/2013/05/imgL/115945677.jpg

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 12:18
by cats squirrel
that is probably the one I would have, given the opportunity. :D

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 13:00
by C2H3Cln2
jives11 wrote:For me the 7th is the one, everything he had to say distilled into a single 20 minute movement.
Sibelius in 20 minutes...Yowza! :lol:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 13:10
by Roberto C2H3
C2H3Cln2 wrote:The beauty of collecting classical music albums, is that many excellent pressings can be found in near mint condition, because they don't get as much play, and some no play at all. :(

So true "C2H3Cln2".

I have found a vinyl oasis in a very old and picturesque sector of the city of Buenos Aires known as "San Telmo". Its probably the largest used record store in Argentina.

They sell Deutsche Grammophon pressings from "West" Germany and other European countries, as well as issues from Argentina from the 60's thru the 80's. They are invariably in very good plus to excellent condition.

They sell for USD 3 and a quarter for the imports, and USD 2 for the local issues. Basically I just flip thru the records, and whenever I see the Deustche Grammophone seal, I pick it up. I barely look at the rest of the cover :lol:

I walk in once a month and walk away with as many as I can carry :lol: I have yet to be disappointed, and have enjoyed a lot "classical" I had never heard before ("classical" in the broad sense of the term), including Opera. Great stuff =D>

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 13:37
by C2H3Cln2
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
C2H3Cln2 wrote:The beauty of collecting classical music albums, is that many excellent pressings can be found in near mint condition, because they don't get as much play, and some no play at all. :(

So true "C2H3Cln2".

I have found a vinyl oasis in a very old and picturesque sector of the city of Buenos Aires known as "San Telmo". Its probably the largest used record store in Argentina.

They sell Deutsche Grammophon pressings from "West" Germany and other European countries, as well as issues from Argentina from the 60's thru the 80's. They are invariably in very good plus to excellent condition.

They sell for USD 3 and a quarter for the imports, and USD 2 for the local issues. Basically I just flip thru the records, and whenever I see the Deustche Grammophone seal, I pick it up. I barely look at the rest of the cover :lol:

I walk in once a month and walk away with as many as I can carry :lol: I have yet to be disappointed, and have enjoyed a lot "classical" I had never heard before ("classical" in the broad sense of the term), including Opera. Great stuff =D>

Best from the Pampas,
roberto
Have you heard this? I have the CD released by Deustche Grammophone in 2003. I don't think it was ever released on vinyl..
song.jpg
(87.05 KiB) Downloaded 1555 times

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 15:42
by Roberto C2H3
C2H3Cln2 wrote:
Have you heard this? I have the CD released by Deustche Grammophone in 2003. I don't think it was ever released on vinyl..
song.jpg
Nope, I have not heard this record yet. Another one to look out for... :)

Best,
roberto

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 06 Oct 2015 17:32
by cats squirrel
just purchased the set on Decca, knocked the seller down from £15 to £8, sorted. Thanks for the idea, funny how some things work out. 8)

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Posted: 07 Oct 2015 13:19
by jives11