Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Oct 2015 00:52

this is about classical music, not prog rock, even though some of it may be termed 'classic'. I'm sure you have your own thread for this genre. :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Oct 2015 01:13

Well then, cats...you also forget how amazingly versatile I am...I know plenty of people who have no exposure to an orchestra, other than the one performing behind many of their favorite rock groups...Their interest in classical may be minimal at best, but those groups may just be the gateway, should they want to investigate the "harder stuff" further!

As this thread is about classical, and I have many favorite classical albums, we can stick with that...As you see, I also love the music of Pietro Mascagni and Tomaso Albinoni...We've mentioned Pachelbel's Canon many times here on VE...Still, they are favorites...Handel's "Water Music", Saint-Saens' "The Swan" and Debussy's "Prelude To The Afternoon Of A Faun" are others that I enjoy...Respighi's "The Pines Of Rome" also comes to mind...I could go on and on...

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 04 Oct 2015 01:39

cats squirrel wrote:
C2H3Cln2 wrote:
You're absolutely right. I use Classical in the general meaning of the term. The Baroque period is a favorite. Our local NPR station has "Sunday Baroque" which I tune to every... Sunday Morning. Do the recordings with 'period' instruments grab you at all? I'm lukewarm on that. Please share some of the 2,000 records here... you have captive audience. :)
I think it does make a difference, although I would rather have sympathetic musicians to having the period sound. However, I really don't like Baroque music played with huge orchestras, small is beautiful in this context, and strings without vibrato.

It never ceases to amaze me that Bach can be the root of jazz music. It is possible to look at a Bach or Telemann score, and extemporize while being faithful to the dots, in real time, I used to do it on my flute.

I'll pop some records on here in due course. 8)
Oh, absolutely true, small makes a huge difference. I used to attend Baroque concerts at a church in Wash. DC.. "The Dumbarton concerts." Does the 'difference' period instruments make translate to recordings, as opposed to live concerts? I'm not a professional musician, I play some instruments but purely for enjoyment. I learned classical guitar when I was in my teens. :)

I have a two volume set of books by Albert Schweitzer on Bach. I never really made the connection of Bach and Jazz..

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Oct 2015 13:07

it has been said that students (anyone interested, really) of classical (broad term) music should start with Bach, and finish with Beethoven's late string quartets. I wouldn't disagree. Alpha and Omega!

I have found the best classical music education is to listen to a radio station playing only classical music, BBC Radio 3 being the one I use, now on the interweb.

Live concerts are very different to listening to records, I find, because of the visuals and the mood of the concert goer. If one knows something about the music and about playing musical instruments, this helps a lot, but is not essential, perhaps. But this applies to all forms of music (that can be described as such!). I like most kinds, and have played most (exxcept C&W and the most modern types of trash), including classical (in orchestras) folk, rock and jazz, and lately for amdram groups). \:D/

Maybe you should listen to the 'Play Bach Trio', jazz from Bach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfU1jkwDLSc

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 04 Oct 2015 15:14

I just picked up a 1961 Russian mono recording of Richter playing the Apassionata sonata by Beethoven No 23 for £1 in a local charity shop.

http://cdn.discogs.com/E9ejFHHXm-2F2F2w ... 9.jpeg.jpg

The LP looks in good state but my outer sleeve appears to be in tatters, can't decide if its been gnawed or simple ripped apart for some unknown reason. I'm sure there is a history to it. Its having a soak before play, I've not heard Richters Beethoven, I have the Brendel versions, but I have another charity shop find of Richter playing Debussy and despite poor sound its sublime

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 04 Oct 2015 17:29

That would be the second movement of his 21st Piano Concerto. K 467

Phil
ginniegatrit wrote:I'm a rock'n roll guy but always had a taste for classical music.

Mozart - I forget the specific name, known as "Elvira Madigan" theme from the movie.

I'll stop there for now. But I'm listening to these right now:
https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1 ... j83rvq.jpg

paul401
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by paul401 » 05 Oct 2015 00:41

A little late night listening here. The very lovely Pavane pour une infante defunte (Pavane for a dead princess)

Paul

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 05 Oct 2015 01:32

yes, Ravel wrote some lovely music, and orchestrated others' works, although many will nly know Bolero.

Look for Daphnis and Chloe, (often coupled with La Mer, by Debussy on LP).
His piano concerti, The Mother Goose Suite, and end with La Valse, almost macabre!

And if you like Ravel's music, you may like Ralph Vaughan Williams', his symphonies, as he was a pupil of Ravel, one of only a few. :D

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 05 Oct 2015 01:47

[/quote]And if you like Ravel's music, you may like Ralph Vaughan Williams', his symphonies, as he was a pupil of Ravel, one of only a few. :D[/quote]

Ralph Vaughan Williams completed "The Lark Ascending" with Maire Hall's (Marie Pauline Hall 8 April 1884 – 11 November 1956) assistance, and dedicated it to her. She gave the first public performances, that for violin and piano at a concert of the Avonmouth and Shirehampton Choral Society on 15 December 1920, and that for violin and orchestra at the Queen's Hall with the British Symphony Orchestra under Adrian Boult on 14 June 1921.[5] She owned and played one of the two Viotti Stradivarius violins.

I own a single 78 rpm of Hall's, a Mozart minuet, not the Lark.. :(
hall2.jpg
(149.77 KiB) Downloaded 1376 times
hall.jpg
(181.66 KiB) Downloaded 1374 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 05 Oct 2015 06:28

An unprecedented array of never-before-seen footage of Gould, photographs, and excerpts from his private home recordings and diaries, plus personal interviews with Gould's most intimate friends and lovers, some who have never spoken about him publicly before, to reconstruct his thoughts on music, art, society, love, and life. An enigmatic musical poet, world-renowned pianist Glenn Gould continues to captivate 27 years after his untimely death.
gould.jpg
(203.55 KiB) Downloaded 1375 times

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 05 Oct 2015 15:32

one thing that is often overlooked with classical music is the performance of the piece. That is, how the piece is played. Each band has their sound, and each conductor their take on things, and of course, there is is still the influence of the surroundings and balance the engineer has produced. All in all, making a unique experience.

I would rather listen to an exceptional rendition of a piece of music on a cheap hifi, than a mediocre one on an expensive system. Another case case of rubbish in, rubbish out. Therefore, the top performers tend to be the ones collectors go for, and why those records can command the top prices. But it is also a personal thing, and one may prefer other versions. I prefer the British approach, Boult and Barbirolli, but also love the German alternatives of von Karajan and Klemperer. And the band makes a difference too, the Hallé, LSO, LPO, Berlin Phil, VPO, CSO, all put in a sterling shift when driven hard.

And then there is the recording quality! So a piece of music is a synergy of all these parts; it's not easy. Digital recordings are OK to get to know a piece, but a top recording, by a top band and conductor are needed to show what the experience can be. [There are exceptions to all parts of this argument, of course, expense doesn't guarantee performance, and there are exceptional performances from cheap labels, but invest in Decca, DGG and HMV/EMI and you can't go far wrong, as these labels have the top performers, most of the time.]

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 05 Oct 2015 16:43

couldn't agree more than with that cats squirrel. Books like the penguin Guide and magazines like Gramophone can be useful (though not foolproof) ways of choosing between the different recordings. there are probably 100+ different Beethoven Cycles to choose between for example.

My preference is for Symphonic works from the first half of the 20th century, I do love my Walton, Elgar, RVW and Bax, but for my money, no collection is complete without the Sibelius Symphonies. There are some lovely sets of those, I have a very nice Maazel DECCA boxed set, cost me not very much and lovely DECCA sound.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 05 Oct 2015 16:55

agree with all that. Can't remember which Sibelius cycle I have (and I have recordings of all from this years Proms, BBC in HD sound as well) but I am also collecting the Collins set, in mono, obviously, for a contrast. Just love those old cover designs, too.

Thumbs up for lovely Decca sound, many old recordings are glorious, but some can sound, well, old. I may need to construct a special phono amplifier to bring out the potential of some recordings.

I look at my collection as I would a collection of old (first edition) books, part of musical history, not just a source of sound. That way it is easy to forgive the warts, and concentrate on the emotional side. :wink:

ps my Beethoven cycle is von Karajan. Also have Mahler, late Haydn, Prokofiev and Shostakovitch, the latter of which was someone else's collection of disparate contributors.

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 05 Oct 2015 18:29

funny you say that about old recordings. I just fitted an STY25M (mono) stylus in my Ortofon cartridge to see how good I could get Mono sound to be. I seem to be accumulating MONO recordings, more by luck. I have to say it sounds pretty good, with the MONO button also engaged in my A&R A60. Listening to Sam Cooke at the Coba, and previously Nat King Cole and George Shearing. next will be the Karajan Holst planets on DECCA , recorded at the Kingsway hall , so some nice sub-bass from the tube there ;)

I'm toying with buying a vintage 3rd speaker for occasional MONO days

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 05 Oct 2015 19:19

mmm, the noise from the Underground on records, or traffic noise in general (try St. Martins in the Field, from the church of that name, just off Trafalgar Sq. in London, if you want to hear traffic noise!¬) Doesn't sound possible, today (or does it!)

Yes, mono is a problem; like you I have found lots of good records on mono discs, and haven't really come to terms with its reproduction, properly. I am in a state of flux with my turntables/arm/carts, and I am having great difficulties sorting out which turntable (I have at least 5 I want to use) with which arm (again, at least 6) and carts (don't know, but at least 10) with styli, at least, well you get the idea, what with ellipticals, fine line, spherical and 78's), the combinations number several hundred. Most of my arms are fixed head shells, and all the turntables have low platters, so mounting non-standard arms is a real problem.

The turntables have to deal with
a) top quality LP's
b) second quality LP's
c) mono records
d) 78 records

some just use one tt/headshell/cart/stylus (not for 78) and accept the compromises
but I have decided to dedicate a single turntable to each of the categories a) to d) above, plus a development turntable for record assessment and testing. Some may do more than one category. All tt's can handle anything from 33.3 to 80 rpm, continuously variable.

As regards mono, just use the balance control on your amplifier. I have two stereo amplifiers feeding my stereo pair, so mono is no problem, BUT two 'nostalgic' sounds do not always produce a good 'nostalgic' sound. Even new records would sound nostalgic!