Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1054
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 24 Jan 2020 04:58

Oooh that's a tough one - I use a record weight on my table to help that one. Great disc.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 25 Jan 2020 02:53

banerjba wrote:
24 Jan 2020 04:58
Oooh that's a tough one - I use a record weight on my table to help that one. Great disc.
I will only be using the brush for that one. Otherwise it stays off. I don't need it for most of my classical albums.

I will be starting the Beethoven listening again in a day or two. Just cleaned a replacement copy of one of the piano sonata albums. It's not the box set.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 26 Jan 2020 02:47

Made another adjustment. Azimuth wasn't quite perfect. Ended up redoing the overhang and zenith again, and lowered the tracking force enough so that the cantilever would not flex when set down on the grids. After setting the levelness of the turntable and putting the tracking force and anti-skate back where they belong, I tested a couple of Command records.

Beethoven Symphony No. 1 had an improvement in the inner grooves. Aside from one spot which had distortion in a couple of spots on the right channel on the two copies I tested (never checked the third), the loud areas came through perfectly clean without distortion on both. However, Beethoven Symphony No. 5 was the real kicker. A level of detail and clarity at the end of the symphony that can only be gotten with a perfect setup. I always considered that section of the record too demanding for my liking. I did not test Beethoven Symphony No. 3. These are the William Steinberg recordings I am talking about. The other cycles of these symphonies don't display as much distortion with very slight misalignment as these. The Brahms records will show the same distortion if something's wrong, as they're on the same label and also by William Steinberg. (And they're also originals.)

This is not going to affect the tracking of the 1812 Overture record in the least. It will still need the stabilizer brush.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 494
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 26 Jan 2020 15:36

You are a very focused listener which is good- can you describe how the distortion 'sounds' when you hear it? I'd like to start listening for anything similar, though admittedly I feel that the linear tracking isn't revealing any- but it could be there?

DarthMaul wrote:
26 Jan 2020 02:47
Made another adjustment. Azimuth wasn't quite perfect. Ended up redoing the overhang and zenith again, and lowered the tracking force enough so that the cantilever would not flex when set down on the grids. After setting the levelness of the turntable and putting the tracking force and anti-skate back where they belong, I tested a couple of Command records.

Beethoven Symphony No. 1 had an improvement in the inner grooves. Aside from one spot which had distortion in a couple of spots on the right channel on the two copies I tested (never checked the third), the loud areas came through perfectly clean without distortion on both. However, Beethoven Symphony No. 5 was the real kicker. A level of detail and clarity at the end of the symphony that can only be gotten with a perfect setup. I always considered that section of the record too demanding for my liking. I did not test Beethoven Symphony No. 3. These are the William Steinberg recordings I am talking about. The other cycles of these symphonies don't display as much distortion with very slight misalignment as these. The Brahms records will show the same distortion if something's wrong, as they're on the same label and also by William Steinberg. (And they're also originals.)

This is not going to affect the tracking of the 1812 Overture record in the least. It will still need the stabilizer brush.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 26 Jan 2020 20:36

Gravitar8 wrote:
26 Jan 2020 15:36
You are a very focused listener which is good- can you describe how the distortion 'sounds' when you hear it? I'd like to start listening for anything similar, though admittedly I feel that the linear tracking isn't revealing any- but it could be there?

DarthMaul wrote:
26 Jan 2020 02:47
Made another adjustment. Azimuth wasn't quite perfect. Ended up redoing the overhang and zenith again, and lowered the tracking force enough so that the cantilever would not flex when set down on the grids. After setting the levelness of the turntable and putting the tracking force and anti-skate back where they belong, I tested a couple of Command records.

Beethoven Symphony No. 1 had an improvement in the inner grooves. Aside from one spot which had distortion in a couple of spots on the right channel on the two copies I tested (never checked the third), the loud areas came through perfectly clean without distortion on both. However, Beethoven Symphony No. 5 was the real kicker. A level of detail and clarity at the end of the symphony that can only be gotten with a perfect setup. I always considered that section of the record too demanding for my liking. I did not test Beethoven Symphony No. 3. These are the William Steinberg recordings I am talking about. The other cycles of these symphonies don't display as much distortion with very slight misalignment as these. The Brahms records will show the same distortion if something's wrong, as they're on the same label and also by William Steinberg. (And they're also originals.)

This is not going to affect the tracking of the 1812 Overture record in the least. It will still need the stabilizer brush.
The distortion was a high-pitched crackling distortion heard on one or the other channel in the loud segments of the inner groove. Getting the stylus aligned as well as it is now almost completely eliminated it. It's better now than it ever was before. The part of the record I tested is highly demanding.

It might be a pressing flaw or insufficient anti-skating I have left to deal with. Mostly has to do with records pressed to hot or too hard to track. The Command records have such complex grooves that you can't get great sound in the inner tracks with a Sumiko Black Pearl. They need a line-contact or more complex stylus. I don't have a linear-tracking turntable. A linear tracking turntable would eliminate misalignment distortion if the stylus is oriented correctly in the cartridge. The only issue then is a record pressed too loudly.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 26 Jan 2020 21:05

IMG_4624.jpg
(119.52 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 26 Jan 2020 23:44

DarthMaul wrote:
26 Jan 2020 21:05
IMG_4624.jpg
Disappointed with this copy of the record. Went online and will get another. Went for the Discogs seller "StaxOfWax45", who has over 11,000 ratings and 100% feedback.

I am going to move forward to the box set instead. This other album can interrupt the symphonies between cycles.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 27 Jan 2020 01:45

IMG_4628.jpg
(109.6 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Going to use part of my first copy of the ED1 for Side 2. Noticed marks on the surface and found loud pops and a skip when I investigated. This box set had a shrink wrap around the records and booklet on the inside. Signs the records were never played? I wonder. The lead-in grooves looked greater than my old copy. Still, there are some very minor sleeve scuffs that aren't visible in normal light.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 29 Jan 2020 00:36

Accidentally left the motor running for three hours when I was warming up the turntable for use. Found the platter stopped. Now the motor has intermittent start problems. It is still able to handle the platter's load and speed issues have not arisen. Fingers crossed that no further issues occur. Is it possible for the motor's intermittency to stop if I am careful with it? I applied one squirt of oil. No more than that, as it is bad to overlubricate. I think that killed the last motor. Careful use should keep this motor going. I still have the first spare motor tucked away, which I tested and found to work fine. Not going to touch it unless it is needed. As I intend to use this turntable only for the classical records, it may get retired afterwards even if the motor does not develop other problems. I have been away from major video gaming for too long, and don't really feel like redoing the oldies records. If 45s get redone, the Technics turntable will be used.

If the oldies LPs do get played, I will give advance notice. Not planning on it, and I am 75% of the way through the classical records, barring redos.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 494
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 30 Jan 2020 13:53

11000 ratings with 100% feedback! =D>
DarthMaul wrote:
26 Jan 2020 23:44
DarthMaul wrote:
26 Jan 2020 21:05
IMG_4624.jpg
Disappointed with this copy of the record. Went online and will get another. Went for the Discogs seller "StaxOfWax45", who has over 11,000 ratings and 100% feedback.

I am going to move forward to the box set instead. This other album can interrupt the symphonies between cycles.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 31 Jan 2020 03:53

Update: Past the piano sonatas, save for the Walter Klien record, which I bought another replacement copy of. All Beethoven music I will listen to aside from that is the symphonies from here on out.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1054
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 01 Feb 2020 04:54

Yikes. So sad to hear about the turntable motor.

I landed a holy grail this evening - the Kleiber Beethoven 5 on a DG lp. Canadian pressing but still excellent sound and the performance is my favourite of this piece very (I have many of this piece, probably like many of you). I have owned the cd for years but not this original Canadian lp. This has been re-issued now but it is pricey. Mine was only $10 for a near-mint used pressing at my local record store called PCV Records (Pop Culture Vulture).

Earlier this evening, I was listening to the new Elgar cd by Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the young UK cellist. Local classical FM has been promoting this so went and bought a copy. Wow! Great playing Great sound. I think I now like this better than the Du Pre versions (I have a couple).

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 01 Feb 2020 15:39

banerjba wrote:
01 Feb 2020 04:54
Yikes. So sad to hear about the turntable motor.

I landed a holy grail this evening - the Kleiber Beethoven 5 on a DG lp. Canadian pressing but still excellent sound and the performance is my favourite of this piece very (I have many of this piece, probably like many of you). I have owned the cd for years but not this original Canadian lp. This has been re-issued now but it is pricey. Mine was only $10 for a near-mint used pressing at my local record store called PCV Records (Pop Culture Vulture).

Earlier this evening, I was listening to the new Elgar cd by Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the young UK cellist. Local classical FM has been promoting this so went and bought a copy. Wow! Great playing Great sound. I think I now like this better than the Du Pre versions (I have a couple).
At this time the turntable motor is still able to run the platter well despite that problem. It spins freely without noise when spun in the correct direction by hand. I have yet another spare sealed in a Ziploc bag in the basement that works well. No squeal in either. 78rpm speed still works well. The motor randomly needs a push from the platter to run. Not going to mess with it and use it as is. The other spare, the first one I bought, won't be used unless necessary. At least the first one was cheaper and was from a listing where the seller said it would not turn well. I had gotten it to. If it had turned well in the seller's hands, it would have cost far more.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2650
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 01 Feb 2020 15:45

banerjba wrote:
01 Feb 2020 04:54
Yikes. So sad to hear about the turntable motor.

I landed a holy grail this evening - the Kleiber Beethoven 5 on a DG lp. Canadian pressing but still excellent sound and the performance is my favourite of this piece very (I have many of this piece, probably like many of you). I have owned the cd for years but not this original Canadian lp. This has been re-issued now but it is pricey. Mine was only $10 for a near-mint used pressing at my local record store called PCV Records (Pop Culture Vulture).

Earlier this evening, I was listening to the new Elgar cd by Sheku Kanneh-Mason, the young UK cellist. Local classical FM has been promoting this so went and bought a copy. Wow! Great playing Great sound. I think I now like this better than the Du Pre versions (I have a couple).
Here's one you might not want to miss:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEETHOVEN-Symp ... SwJj1ct-pe

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1054
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 01 Feb 2020 18:03

Thanks Darth - I actually have that series as DG re-issues.

Just got back from the record store and scored a nice Chopin sampler on the London Viva label. Very decent sound on this Canadian compilation. A nice record for a cold, grey Toronto afternoon.

Also got the Dvorak Cello Concerto led by Vaclav Neuman and the Czech PO on the Supraphon label from the former Czechoslovakia. Great cycle - I have a couple of the symphonies as well.

Post Reply