United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 17 Jan 2020 00:45

Gravitar8 wrote:
16 Jan 2020 21:55
Congrats on the repair! And you can NEVER go wrong with Ludwig Van
DarthMaul wrote:
08 Jan 2020 00:50
My Stanton D98-IIs stylus has returned, retipped. I redid the alignment as best I could, even getting the azimuth as correct as possible, which meant I needed to tilt the headshell this time. The original stylus was mounted at an angle on the cantilever, pointing parallel to the sides of the cartridge. The seller made the new stylus perpendicular to the flattened end of the cantilever.

I ran a test on some of my William Steinberg LPs, and after getting the alignment spot on, Beethoven Symphony No. 3 sounded terrific in the middle of the second side.

I was in the middle of recording from Arturo Toscanini's cycle. It will be restarted on the Thorens from the beginning once it gets set up. All I need to do is level the turntable and get the tracking force optimized. Either tonight, or this weekend.
There's more to mention. I tested a few of my copies of William Steinberg's recording of Beethoven Symphony No. 9. I expected to hear noise in the third movement on certain copies of the record set. This stylus surprised me. I heard far less of the noise than I expected to hear. I told the seller that the retipped stylus was better than the original could have ever been. He said I made his day.

This is what he actually said:
"Thanks for letting me know! I appreciate it. So now you would say it’s better than the original, and not about as good?

Good to hear—maybe it just needed to break in a little bit.

I really do appreciate you telling me and communicating your excitement and happiness. Had a rough week rewinding a moving coil for a tough customer and almost quit doing this. I really don’t do it for the money. I do it for messages like these.

Thanks again! Made my day.

Joseph"

Now I do want to mention that I will start with two or three cycles of the symphonies, then interrupt with the piano sonatas, only to go back to the symphonies again. This is the last time I am listening to Toscanini's 1950s cycle. The records will be permanently back on the shelf after the 9th symphony is done with. Bruno Walter will be next, followed by Karajan (1962). Friedrich Gulda's recording of the piano sonatas will come after that, and then I will listen to the last two of the Beethoven symphony cycles. That will start with William Steinberg's cycle, followed by Karl Bohm's with the Vienna Philharmonic. Once I get past that, it's on to Schubert. Among the Schubert symphonies is the lesser known 7th symphony which never got completed by the composer. (I'm not referring to the "Unfinished".)

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Jan 2020 02:58

IMG_4621.jpg
(118.31 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Starting to listen to Bruno Walter's late 1950s cycle of the Beethoven symphonies. All of the records are the Columbia six-eye stereo releases. I have the Columbia Odyssey box set too, but its dynamics sound wrong.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Jan 2020 04:52

IMG_4622.jpg
(111.6 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Last record for the night.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Jan 2020 21:19

IMG_4623.jpg
(125.65 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Hearing chip squeals in this record, just like in the last... I don't know if I heard them last time. Been a few years. I know Symphony No. 3 didn't sound perfect the previous time it was played and a replacement was bought.

Edit: The number of chip squeals decreased on the inner grooves substantially.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 20 Jan 2020 04:13

Ok. Maybe those chip squeals were from a previous play. I don't know. I am getting another copy of that record too, just in case. I will double check the alignment with a two-point protractor before starting the next record, just in case. No more plays until I can fully verify it's 100% correct. Not going to use the SME protractor again because it does not have an outer grid to check against.

Tried the D81 stylus briefly, which caused a major listening delay. It did not sound good with the Stanton 981, so back it went to the Stanton 881s. Made a minor alignment adjustment to make sure everything was aligned really well earlier, but will verify tomorrow.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 20 Jan 2020 13:11

Nice to see all of this Ludwig B. I'll try to pull out some more and share here before the day is over.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 20 Jan 2020 21:09

Had to stop the playback. Noticed my stylus was misaligned. Could have been damaging the Bruno Walter albums. Replacement copies of Symphonies 1-5 ordered. Playback stopped before I could reach Symphony No. 6.

Going to double check with my two point protractor before playing starts up again, but alignment looks mighty close to dead nuts accurate as of this morning minus checking the azimuth. Starting over with the piano sonatas so I can wait for the replacement records. Symphonies 1 & 2 is a 1D stamper. Damage from the stylus should be minimized next time. Glad I caught it, but should have checked earlier.

The SME protractor cannot be trusted unless the stylus assembly is perfect.

Funny thing was, the Toscanini box set was played twice with no additional damage happening. Might need to check it later.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 20 Jan 2020 22:46

Yikes. All the LP replacement and worry is costly... not trying to add fuel to the fire but for the record: I am SO glad I use a linear tracker which by its design nature has no cartridge alignment requirements.
DarthMaul wrote:
20 Jan 2020 21:09
Had to stop the playback. Noticed my stylus was misaligned. Could have been damaging the Bruno Walter albums. Replacement copies of Symphonies 1-5 ordered. Playback stopped before I could reach Symphony No. 6.

Going to double check with my two point protractor before playing starts up again, but alignment looks mighty close to dead nuts accurate as of this morning minus checking the azimuth. Starting over with the piano sonatas so I can wait for the replacement records. Symphonies 1 & 2 is a 1D stamper. Damage from the stylus should be minimized next time. Glad I caught it, but should have checked earlier.

Funny thing was, the Toscanini box set was played twice with no additional damage happening. Might need to check it later.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 Jan 2020 01:28

Gravitar8 wrote:
20 Jan 2020 22:46
Yikes. All the LP replacement and worry is costly... not trying to add fuel to the fire but for the record: I am SO glad I use a linear tracker which by its design nature has no cartridge alignment requirements.
DarthMaul wrote:
20 Jan 2020 21:09

I could have caught it earlier. Perhaps if I had double checked before getting to the Toscanini records and made a full correction, there'd be no issues. Anyways, I won't let any further vinyl plays start without knowing the stylus really is aligned right. I ain't going to take a chance so that I don't end up spending gobs of money getting replacement albums.

And with new video games I may want to play, it could cause me to delay record plays further a bit.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 Jan 2020 03:27

Setup complete. Sound quality and stereo separation went through the roof! I could even hear tape hiss on Bruno Walter's recordings. However, a lead for the right channel (ground) came loose from the cartridge. Got it back on. Might need to crimp it to tighten it or leave it on. First test revealed the right channel wasn't going, and I knew it was capable of that before. Fixed that problem right when it appeared. (Did not break any wires either.) It must have come loose when I was changing the screws. The nylon screws and nuts were needed this time. I could not trust the Stanton screws and attachments to enable me to get the cartridge into the right position. I had used a mechanical pencil to mark the correct spots on the grids of my protractor since it was printed not to the correct scale. It was slightly too long. The marks indicate where the center of the grids should have been. (I did a measurement to do that.)

By the way, I tested one of William Steinberg's recordings and it came out great too. Now that the setup is corrected and the turntable is re-leveled, the playback can start again. The piano sonatas will come first, starting with Walter Klein's recording, which was replaced. That will get followed by Friedrich Gulda's, which has been replaced too. The symphonies will follow. I will make the decision whether or not to skip Toscanini's cycle. It sounded no worse on the second play when the stylus was misaligned. I wonder why, Gravitar8. However, my new computer's fans were going and making it harder to hear quiet moments. Do you suggest I put it in sleep mode when playing records?

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 Jan 2020 13:05

Sleep mode? No. Put on closed ear headphones for testing. Once things are confirmed 'right' then just keep an eye on your cartridge alignment- though i doubt it will come loose now since you replaced the nuts and washers. I'd recommend checking your headshell too if you want to get into the minutiae of things?
DarthMaul wrote:
21 Jan 2020 03:27
Setup complete. Sound quality and stereo separation went through the roof! I could even hear tape hiss on Bruno Walter's recordings. However, a lead for the right channel (ground) came loose from the cartridge. Got it back on. Might need to crimp it to tighten it or leave it on. First test revealed the right channel wasn't going, and I knew it was capable of that before. Fixed that problem right when it appeared. (Did not break any wires either.) It must have come loose when I was changing the screws. The nylon screws and nuts were needed this time. I could not trust the Stanton screws and attachments to enable me to get the cartridge into the right position. I had used a mechanical pencil to mark the correct spots on the grids of my protractor since it was printed not to the correct scale. It was slightly too long. The marks indicate where the center of the grids should have been. (I did a measurement to do that.)

By the way, I tested one of William Steinberg's recordings and it came out great too. Now that the setup is corrected and the turntable is re-leveled, the playback can start again. The piano sonatas will come first, starting with Walter Klein's recording, which was replaced. That will get followed by Friedrich Gulda's, which has been replaced too. The symphonies will follow. I will make the decision whether or not to skip Toscanini's cycle. It sounded no worse on the second play when the stylus was misaligned. I wonder why, Gravitar8. However, my new computer's fans were going and making it harder to hear quiet moments. Do you suggest I put it in sleep mode when playing records?

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 Jan 2020 17:56

Gravitar8 wrote:
21 Jan 2020 13:05
Sleep mode? No. Put on closed ear headphones for testing. Once things are confirmed 'right' then just keep an eye on your cartridge alignment- though i doubt it will come loose now since you replaced the nuts and washers. I'd recommend checking your headshell too if you want to get into the minutiae of things?
DarthMaul wrote:

The headphones I use are the closed variety but sound can get through them. They are the Sennheiser HD-800 set. I would still be putting that computer to sleep.

As for the headshell, I used the azimuth gauge to help get the stylus azimuth set correctly. I used a lighted stylus microscope at 60x to see the tip on a mirrored surface. The headshell takes a bit of effort to turn on the arm. I made the main alignment adjustments afterwards, but with the turntable turned so I could see more easily. The black material that goes between the headshell and cartridge is also in use to help secure the cartridge along with the screws. That material is soft SME OEM stuff.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 23 Jan 2020 20:45

It would seem that my copy of Beethoven's 5th Symphony by William Steinberg and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra may have some groove damage from previous plays. Bought another copy just in case.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 23 Jan 2020 21:35

To Sleep....perchance to dream....
I am glad you are getting results with your Steinberg et al tests.
Excelsior!

quote=DarthMaul post_id=1026761 time=1579629368 user_id=137458]
Gravitar8 wrote:
21 Jan 2020 13:05
DarthMaul wrote:

The headphones I use are the closed variety but sound can get through them. They are the Sennheiser HD-800 set. I would still be putting that computer to sleep.

As for the headshell, I used the azimuth gauge to help get the stylus azimuth set correctly. I used a lighted stylus microscope at 60x to see the tip on a mirrored surface. The headshell takes a bit of effort to turn on the arm. I made the main alignment adjustments afterwards, but with the turntable turned so I could see more easily. The black material that goes between the headshell and cartridge is also in use to help secure the cartridge along with the screws. That material is soft SME OEM stuff.
[/quote]

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 24 Jan 2020 01:03

There is one recent test I did not mention. The Telarc 1812 Overture record. Using the stabilizer brush, I was able to get the stylus to perfectly track the cannon shots.