Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
d334578

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by d334578 » 13 Nov 2019 17:13

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
10 Nov 2019 02:20
Many years ago I picked up "The Winter Legends" at Olssons Books in Washington DC.. and really enjoyed the "Wagnerian" quality of Arnold Bax's compositions. This particular recording brings to mind epic 'tone poems,'
which may have inspired many Hollywood movie soundtrack composers...

bax.jpg
I have that album. I love "Tintagel"

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 14 Nov 2019 22:39

IMG_4410.jpg
(120.26 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Trying my newly opened copy again after cleaning the first record to see if it sounds cleaner. If it does, I will continue forwards with it. If it does not, I will move on to Symphony No. 31 in D Major "Hornsignal" from my old copy.

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 16 Nov 2019 02:34

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
04 Nov 2019 21:41
Found this copy at the local charity store and had a quick exchange while in line to pay for it:

Lady: "you still buying records?"

Me: " This is Glenn Gould's performance wtih Leorand Bernstein.... and although you could hear it on Spotify or youtube, this is the original recording on Columbia, "six-eye" pressing..."

Lady: "......." (just a bovine stare) :lol:

GG.jpg

Ha! but lucky for us it is not common knowledge or else you would not have paid charity store pricing for a that beauty. Nice Find!

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 16 Nov 2019 02:42

Well I have not heard of this label and I must say the pressing is quite lacking. It sounds like a 3rd generation dub. Very distant and sort of dull. The performance and composition is quite interesting though I still enjoy the record despite the pressing or recording (I can't tell which is the real offender). Anyway Good Music!
Attachments
rosamunde.jpg
(210.26 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 17 Nov 2019 04:47

IMG_4420.jpg
(108.5 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Only the first record for tonight. The rest the next day or two.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 17 Nov 2019 17:17

I am breaking in a new subwoofer cable so started out listening to Massive Attack and Flying Lotus to start, not classical.

Then onto the Chandos Bax cycle (inspired by Mr Vinyl) - the wonderful Symphony #3 (third movement Moderato is very nice). I even hear a bit of Gorecki's Symphony #3 in parts of this piece.

Now it is a MHS recording of Sir Neville/The Academy playing various pieces by Haendel, Vivaldi and Teleman. Great sound from this mid 1980s pressing and the cover is blue not white.

Big T, I have never seen that label but is sounds like they repress old DG stuff. We used to get a label called Heliodor in Canada which was similar. Good music with noisy pressings and inconsistent sound quality.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Nov 2019 23:33

banerjba wrote:
17 Nov 2019 17:17
I am breaking in a new subwoofer cable so started out listening to Massive Attack and Flying Lotus to start, not classical.

Then onto the Chandos Bax cycle (inspired by Mr Vinyl) - the wonderful Symphony #3 (third movement Moderato is very nice). I even hear a bit of Gorecki's Symphony #3 in parts of this piece.

Now it is a MHS recording of Sir Neville/The Academy playing various pieces by Haendel, Vivaldi and Teleman. Great sound from this mid 1980s pressing and the cover is blue not white.

Big T, I have never seen that label but is sounds like they repress old DG stuff. We used to get a label called Heliodor in Canada which was similar. Good music with noisy pressings and inconsistent sound quality.
Any comments on what I'm listening to?

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Nov 2019 02:09

IMG_4423.jpg
(117.77 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 20 Nov 2019 21:24

banerjba wrote:
Heliodor was DG's official budget reissue label. They're mostly older recordings and can sometimes have a lot of tape hiss, but in my experience the pressings themselves are generally good. This "Collection" label is probably a third party budget label licensing old DG recordings.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 20 Nov 2019 23:42

IMG_4430.jpg
(130.97 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Momentary break from the Haydn records. Pachelbel/Geminani/Vivaldi/Pergolesi.

I always wanted to hear this recording of the Canon clean sounding without distortion, dropouts or noise. Finally got my wish after so many bad copies.

Update: Apparently while Side 1 was great, Side 2 has an intermittently audible noise problem in the right channel. Well, I have to say that one of my old copies is great for Side 2, so it's not a big loss. At least I got to hear Side 1 completely clean sounding. I recorded from the previous copies of the record in the past, so I've got Side 2 covered.

TJKV

Post by TJKV » 21 Nov 2019 01:24

Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 6
Herbert von Karajan - Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
IMG_20191120_222012.jpg
(104.09 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 21 Nov 2019 01:43

banerjba wrote:

It does say it is from the repertoire of DDG, you are correct. I'm in Canada also and have 3 records under the Heliodor label, one is excellent and the other two are quite mediocre and noisy.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 Nov 2019 02:13

IMG_4431.jpg
(128.11 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Already past Symphony No. 57. I thought I heard minor damage from a previous stylus in the finale. Either that, or... I cannot say I guess. The damage wasn't visible to my eyes. Not sure how it happened. The old stylus wasn't particularly worn. Maybe the stylus I'm using was able to detect something the old one could not. Hopefully my semi-automatic turntable can read that area without it being heard. Going to live with how the records sound, as they look pretty good still. No streaking under a UV flashlight. My old copy of the box set with the orange and black labels still looks worse than that with the red and silver.

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 21 Nov 2019 22:27

DarthMaul wrote:
21 Nov 2019 02:13
IMG_4431.jpg
Already past Symphony No. 57. I thought I heard minor damage from a previous stylus in the finale. Either that, or... I cannot say I guess. The damage wasn't visible to my eyes. Not sure how it happened. The old stylus wasn't particularly worn. Maybe the stylus I'm using was able to detect something the old one could not. Hopefully my semi-automatic turntable can read that area without it being heard. Going to live with how the records sound, as they look pretty good still. No streaking under a UV flashlight. My old copy of the box set with the orange and black labels still looks worse than that with the red and silver.
That is a pretty sweet set of Haydn, are they original recordings or reissues?

master_fo

Post by master_fo » 21 Nov 2019 22:36

@DarthMaul: " rubber headshell spacer under the cartridge to prevent the cantilever from bending more than it should. "
Do you mean spacer affected VTA or somehow added compliance reducing cantilever amplitude ?