name that tune
ravelax
Sweden

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by ravelax » 11 Oct 2019 15:43

Gravitar8 wrote:
11 Oct 2019 13:59
My love for Digital LPs continues!
Yes, especially for classical music, even in its early days digital recording it was clearly superior, in my opinion. That's not to say analogue recordings always sound bad in comparison, there are lots and lots of great classical music recordings from before the era before digital recording that I wouldn't want to be without. But digital recordings, both on LP and other formats, tend to have much better "depth" in my experience. They sound clearer, more lifelike. A lot of the times the differences compared to a good analogue recorded LP are minor, but they are there. The most obvious advantage is of course lack of tape hiss in quiet passages!

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 12 Oct 2019 04:58

ravelax wrote:
06 Oct 2019 19:57
Teldec were widely known and admired for quality pressings with low surface noise due to the vinyl formula used. Some labels exclusively used Teldec to press their records for these reasons (such as Swedish classical music label BIS).

As for the DMM system, I have several such records and they do tend to sound very good. I don't have any non-DMM pressings of the same recordings to compare them with, though, so I can't say for certain how much of a difference (if any) the DMM method makes in practice. In theory anyway, it makes sense and I admire it. The absence of pre/post echo is noticeable and is a real benefit, in my opinion. Combine that with a digital recording and you get a record that's very, very quiet when it's supposed to be (as in pauses etc.). I like that.

Thank you for the info!

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 13 Oct 2019 02:22

Since we are talking about digital: Vivaldi Four Seasons: Leonard Slatkin, English Chamber Orchestra. RCA RedSeal Digital 1986.

A very clean and crisp record, just amazing. I can't say it's my favorite performance but the disc sounds perfect. DMM for the Win!

Also: Look at all that beautiful deadwax, always a good sign :) about 20min of playtime on each side.
Attachments
slatkin_vivaldi.jpg
(234.96 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
deadwax.jpg
(99.15000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 95 times

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 14 Oct 2019 18:01

Nice - I have not seen that one before.

I have Mozart Flute Quartets on a CBS Masterworks Digital lp on the table. All-star lineup of Rampal-Stern-Rostopovich as well as Salvatore Accardo who I am not as familiar with. This lp is from 1987 so the start of the cd era and QC is not great (lp not flat) although the sound is very good.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 14 Oct 2019 21:22

Beautiful LP!
Big_T wrote:
13 Oct 2019 02:22
Since we are talking about digital: Vivaldi Four Seasons: Leonard Slatkin, English Chamber Orchestra. RCA RedSeal Digital 1986.

A very clean and crisp record, just amazing. I can't say it's my favorite performance but the disc sounds perfect. DMM for the Win!

Also: Look at all that beautiful deadwax, always a good sign :) about 20min of playtime on each side.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 14 Oct 2019 21:27

Great label and this one sounds immense..lively and dynamic and quite excellent. BUT oratorio's are not for everyone...it's driving the wife a bit nutty at the moment lol
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... orio-1.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... orio-2.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... orio-3.jpg

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 14 Oct 2019 22:39

Yes, L'Oiseau Lyre is a nice label, a sublabel to Decca. I have a box set on this label with another Handel oratorio, La Resurrezione, which I still haven't gotten around to listening to...

Speaking of The Four Seasons, digital recordings and DMM presses, here's a very good version worth checking out: https://www.discogs.com/Antonio-Vivaldi ... se/5532611

Currently playing it!

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 16 Oct 2019 18:29

banerjba wrote:
14 Oct 2019 18:01
Nice - I have not seen that one before.

I have Mozart Flute Quartets on a CBS Masterworks Digital lp on the table. All-star lineup of Rampal-Stern-Rostopovich as well as Salvatore Accardo who I am not as familiar with. This lp is from 1987 so the start of the cd era and QC is not great (lp not flat) although the sound is very good.
I will keep an eye out for that one! My experience with csb masterworks is quite favourable.

I find that when buying used vinyl most newer records sound quite good in general despite many times being lighter and possibly a repressing of an older recording. Could it be that the pressing technology has increased more that the degradation of the master tapes?

Also less play time and abuse I would suppose especially those mid to late 80's records getting neglected for CDs.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 18 Oct 2019 21:26

Big_T wrote:
16 Oct 2019 18:29
I find that when buying used vinyl most newer records sound quite good in general despite many times being lighter and possibly a repressing of an older recording. Could it be that the pressing technology has increased more that the degradation of the master tapes?

Also less play time and abuse I would suppose especially those mid to late 80's records getting neglected for CDs.
As for tape degradation, when those reissues were made in the 80's the original tapes weren't always so old and probably hadn't had the time to degrade very much. Pressing technology is probably less a factor unless we're talking about DMM which of course was an advancement. The advancement of noise reduction technology was probably a bigger factor. Some 80's reissues were also digitally remastered even on vinyl, I have several from the "HMV Master Series" on His Master's Voice* that sound very good (they're also DMM pressings). Less play time also probably play a big part in many of these comparatively "newer" vinyls often sounding as good as they do. Many of the ones I find seem to be dead stock (I've found several sealed), it's very common for them to have the small cut in the sleeve denoting an unsold record returned to the distributor and then re-distributed as a discount release. As you say, probably neglected in favor of CDs.

*I suppose in America one would find these on the Angel or Seraphim labels, which were EMI's classical music imprints in America where RCA owned the rights to the "His Master's Voice" trademark.

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 19 Oct 2019 23:38

ravelax wrote:
18 Oct 2019 21:26
....... Many of the ones I find seem to be dead stock (I've found several sealed), it's very common for them to have the small cut in the sleeve denoting an unsold record returned to the distributor and then re-distributed as a discount release. As you say, probably neglected in favor of CDs.

*I suppose in America one would find these on the Angel or Seraphim labels, which were EMI's classical music imprints in America where RCA owned the rights to the "His Master's Voice" trademark.
That is interesting, I have found a small circular staple hole in the bottom left jacket on some of my records. I was abhorred to assume that they were punctured in order to somehow skewer them and hang them on a type of rack. They must have been marked as unsold/discount as you mentioned.

I'm also working a theory that some modern Angel presssings are actually quite good dispite the heaps of online contempt shoveled upon them. These would be the tan label with graphic of an Angel. I know for certain some blue lable Angles are beautifully quite pressings that sound amazing (others are merely celebrations of noise and crackle)
Red label Angels I have not had any luck with as of yet in terms of quality.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 20 Oct 2019 03:40

Glenn Gould, 1980 Russian pressing of a Live recording of a concert at the Grand Hall of the Leningrad Philharmonic, 1957
Outsdanding =D> =D> =D>
Glenn.jpg
(147.59 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 20 Oct 2019 19:39

Big_T wrote:
19 Oct 2019 23:38
That is interesting, I have found a small circular staple hole in the bottom left jacket on some of my records. I was abhorred to assume that they were punctured in order to somehow skewer them and hang them on a type of rack. They must have been marked as unsold/discount as you mentioned.

I'm also working a theory that some modern Angel presssings are actually quite good dispite the heaps of online contempt shoveled upon them. These would be the tan label with graphic of an Angel. I know for certain some blue lable Angles are beautifully quite pressings that sound amazing (others are merely celebrations of noise and crackle)
Red label Angels I have not had any luck with as of yet in terms of quality.
I was also very confused by those markings to begin with, then I heard a radio program about a guy who started a company to import and sell such records in the 70's or 80's, whereby I learned what they were.

As for Angel, I mainly have older pressings which indeed tend to be very good (they also come in beautiful inner sleeves). With the later style tan label with an angel, I only have one record but that's on the related Seraphim imprint (Edit: Actually no, it was of course Angel). I can't remember it as sounding bad (probably wouldn't have kept it then) but I might give it a spin later just to check.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 27 Oct 2019 02:16

gg.jpg
(174.6 KiB) Downloaded 32 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 30 Oct 2019 02:01

"more fun to play than to listen" -Glenn Gould :lol:
hin.jpg
(187.02 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Nov 2019 02:00

"1955 debut album of Canadian classical pianist Glenn Gould. An interpretation of Johann Sebastian Bach's Goldberg Variations (BWV 988), the work launched Gould's career as a renowned international pianist, and became one of the most well-known piano recordings."
goldberg.jpg
(170.32 KiB) Downloaded 6 times