Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 10 Sep 2019 03:14

I have an update after so long. All of the classical music I was splitting has been finished with. No more Bach. Aside from three records to play, there's nothing left before the Haydn symphonies are reached. However, I will be delayed by Beatles record playing again due to having discovered a stylus that was canted to the right while the cantilever was correctly oriented.

Once the Beatles are done with, I have two Telemann albums and one Handel album to deal with before the Haydn records are heard.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 10 Sep 2019 14:18

what do you mean by 'deal with'? Playing? Just making sure I am following along your thread here in the Classical Music Currently Playing index.
DarthMaul wrote:
10 Sep 2019 03:14
I have an update after so long. All of the classical music I was splitting has been finished with. No more Bach. Aside from three records to play, there's nothing left before the Haydn symphonies are reached. However, I will be delayed by Beatles record playing again due to having discovered a stylus that was canted to the right while the cantilever was correctly oriented.

Once the Beatles are done with, I have two Telemann albums and one Handel album to deal with before the Haydn records are heard.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 10 Sep 2019 15:12

Gravitar8 wrote:
10 Sep 2019 14:18
what do you mean by 'deal with'? Playing? Just making sure I am following along your thread here in the Classical Music Currently Playing index.
DarthMaul wrote:

That means the number of records I have left to play before the next major listening sessions begin.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 10 Sep 2019 16:45

This is one of the very best performances and recordings (that I have heard) of this Handel classic.
han_wmxxx.jpg
(191.89 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 11 Sep 2019 14:51

Sorry im still confused. If you are playing them isn't that a listening session?
DarthMaul wrote:
10 Sep 2019 15:12
Gravitar8 wrote:
DarthMaul wrote:

That means the number of records I have left to play before the next major listening sessions begin.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 11 Sep 2019 22:53

Gravitar8 wrote:
11 Sep 2019 14:51
Sorry im still confused. If you are playing them isn't that a listening session?
DarthMaul wrote:
10 Sep 2019 15:12
Gravitar8 wrote:

It is. Ok. This needs a further explanation. When I said 'deal with', that involves more than merely playing the record. That means playing and recording from the record, doing the audio cleanup of the digitized file, splitting the tracks, getting it on iTunes and getting it to my iPhone. When I say 'dealt with', that means the digitizing of the record and getting it to iTunes was dealt with. When I'm done getting the two new Telemann additions and the replacement Handel album onto my iTunes library after recording from the records, only then will I move on to listening to Haydn. I have such a large volume of classical records that if I play each album twice, my stylus will become worn even with the correct setup. I used to be able to listen to both them and my rock, pop, soul and folk albums with one stylus, but I've got too many of all of these for the stylus to last that long.

ray_parkhurst

Post by ray_parkhurst » 12 Sep 2019 00:08

Julian Bream "Guitar Concertos" LSC-2487. Shaded Dog, 5S/1S. Absolutely wonderful music, performance, and recording. I need to be reminded occasionally of the fantastic sound from these old RCA recordings, and this is one of the best I've heard. It's also one of the first RCA's I've played since finding the AT312HEP, and oh my are they a good match. Actually the AT312HEP seems to be a good match for everything.

ulyssewang

Post by ulyssewang » 14 Sep 2019 20:55

Have been listening to more Brahms lately. These three are great performances!
Attachments
20190912_224358.jpg
(252.89 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
20190908_215009.jpg
(332.67 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
20190914_121105.jpg
(117.63 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 15 Sep 2019 15:33

Great Brahms stuff. I have been reconnecting with this composer more recently. The Guilini #4 on EMI was the first classical lp I ever bought in the mid 1980s. Prior to that I borrowed from the local library. I enjoy the Arrau disc of the Piano #2. My go to set though the Gilels on a 2 lps on DG.

Mozart to start this Sunday morning - the excellent Erato catalogue lp of the K299 Flute and Harp Concerto with the 622 Clarinet Concerto. So many good tunes in these two popular pieces.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 15 Sep 2019 16:10

On to more modern sounds.

Lp on the Finlandia label of Einojuhani Rautavaara - Cantus Articus. A great modern composer who favoured beautiful sounds versus a lot of the atonal stuff of his contemporaries. I have a cd of this piece on the other Finnish label, Ondine. Both are great but I love the lush sound of this lp. B side with Tchaikovsky's Symphony #2.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 19 Sep 2019 21:47

FWIW......

I don't think many of us list every record that they play in this form... or in the general LP listening forum .

Personally, I only post an occasional or interesting LP in either forum. :)

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 20 Sep 2019 18:48

Charming =D>
mozart.jpg
(132.28 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 20 Sep 2019 19:11

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
20 Sep 2019 18:48
Charming =D>
mozart.jpg
That reminded me that after a search of my Mozart LPs, I also Have a copy Mozarts 4 horn concertos that I completely forgot that I had.
It's now queud to play next..... when I play classical... which will be later today. :)

I have so many classical LPs that some can get lost in the shuffle .

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 21 Sep 2019 05:35

Love the horn concertos. Which is your favourite?

The Dennis Brain ones are highly regarded but the sound of those 1950s recordings is not great. I prefer the more modern Barry Tuckwell or Gerd Seiffert versions but I love this music.

Big_T
Canada

Post by Big_T » 22 Sep 2019 02:28

Hello All, I'll join in.....

Music From Spain

Joaquin Turina: Fantastic Dances

Manuel de Falla: Ritual Fire Dance, Nights in the Gardens of Spain

Deutsche Grammophon: Privilege Series

Interesting pieces and performances.

Wow this is a really good recording and pressing! There is no date on the Jacket or Label. The writing on the label is in German and it is a purple tulip style. Discogs says 1965. I'm guessing since this is a "Privilege series" it is a budget reissue but worth checking out if you come across it.

turina_falla.jpg
(246.51 KiB) Downloaded 16 times