name that tune
Gravitar8
Canada

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 17 Aug 2019 12:40

Interesting.
banerjba wrote:
17 Aug 2019 04:51
The full price DGs are usually pressed in Germany and in the 1980s - were usually around $11.99 to $13.99.

The Budget series in Canada were called Debut, Privilege or Resonance. Mostly cheaper re-issues on Canadian pressings. I have never found Canadian classical records to be as good in terms of pressings although the music is always good and even a re-issue on DG will be a first rate performance with decent sound. I think the main pressing plants in Canada used a lot of recycled vinyl. Did not affect durability, just quietness.

It is Beethoven's Pastorale for me tonight. I have an EMI Eminance re-issue of the Klemperer/Philharmonia version (I have most of this cycle) and that will be followed by the Josef Krips version with the LSO on a French Musicdisc LP. Not well known and usually hard to find but I love the Krips cycle. Completely different takes on this well known piece.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 17 Aug 2019 17:10

Tomaso Albinoni - Four Sonatas

It's with just three instruments....violin, harpsichord, and violoncello which allows all three to be head loud and clear.

I generally prefer compositions with sparse instrumentation in classical over a full symphony orchestra composition where many instruments can get lost in a "wall of sound"... so to speak .:)
0TA_fsxxx.jpg
(168.31 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Bufo Bill
Great Britain

Post by Bufo Bill » 17 Aug 2019 21:39

JDJX wrote:
17 Aug 2019 17:10
Tomaso Albinoni - Four Sonatas

I generally prefer compositions with sparse instrumentation in classical over a full symphony orchestra composition where many instruments can get lost in a "wall of sound"... so to speak .:)

0TA_fsxxx.jpg
I love a good orchestral "fug" myself, but Baroque period correct instruments have a superior "voice" (character) compared to their modern counterparts that really makes these pieces for a handful of instruments such a joy.
These period instruments are often buggers to play though by all accounts (I'm thinking of flutes in particular, as I have tried out a period flute in the past).

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 18 Aug 2019 01:55

JD, any idea why those Albinoni pieces are considered sonatas instead of Trio? Who is playing?

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 18 Aug 2019 02:58

Why is it called a sonata? This could explain it .....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonata
In reality, it could be called sonatas or Trios and both would be correct... depending mostly on what period it was composed in .

The album was recorded in Paris in 1977, and released in 1980.
According to the info on the sleeve, the three musicians are all of European birth. :)
https://www.discogs.com/Tomaso-Albinoni ... se/3287438

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 18 Aug 2019 03:53

Gotta love MHS. I landed a bunch of these from Princeton recently but still making my way through them. A lot of them from the 1980s appear to be European re-issues of very good quality.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 18 Aug 2019 13:17

Purcell this morning - 1977 lp of Music for Queen Mary on Erato led by John Elliot Gardiner. Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 18 Aug 2019 14:35

banerjba wrote:
18 Aug 2019 03:53
Gotta love MHS. I landed a bunch of these from Princeton recently but still making my way through them. A lot of them from the 1980s appear to be European re-issues of very good quality.

Yeah,,,,MHS was a mail delivered subscription type affair. Its subscribers were true classical music fans .
The pressings were first rate.
i don't think that they pressed their own LP s but the pressing plants that they contracted with were well aware that the The MHS would accept nothing but the highest quality pressings .

The subscribers usually had a rather high end TT and knew how to take good care of their LPs.
So used MHS LPs are usually still in almost NM shape .
I have many HHS LPs. and all that almost every one needed was my routine dust removal to sound great with no groove noise. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_Heritage_Society

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 19 Aug 2019 05:01

Back to Haydn for me. An odd South American pressing of a Piano Concerto and Sonata by Collegium Aurem who I take to be German. A noisy copy with great sound and the performance is first rate. Notes are totally in Spanish and no Hob# or piece references. It was from a local flee market - cover and lp looked to be in good shape but it will not get to sit with the main collection

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 19 Aug 2019 05:25

OK onto a new to me MHS lp from the same Dixie Flee Market (located just outside the city) haul.

This one has Handel Concerto Grosso Op6 # 1 and 4, plus Vivialdi Concerto for 4 violins and Teleman Viola Concerto in G Major. All by Sir Neville and the Academy. Lovely sound and decent pressing.

Sometimes the stereo system limits what you listen to. While I have been using the same basic Yamaha amp and entry Clearaudio turntable and pre for many years, my switch to bookshelf Focal speakers allows more of this baroque style music to sound "right". Focal does light and airy very well but can then also do Wagner with no issues. When I ran B&Ws, there was a slight edge that made Baroque a non starter and my bigger Dynaudios lack the zip needed for this music (thought they are overall vastly better than the little Focals for scale and tone).

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 20 Aug 2019 14:26

A superb discovery and right now my new favorite Classical LP :) Not so much of a surprise since my most recent favorite Classical LP [these favorites change regularly as I tend to grasp onto a few LPs at a certain moment in time and play them quasi-repeatedly....] was Walter Carlos Switched on Bach....and then Switched on Bach 2....and then the OST to A Clockwork Orange [the one with the cool collage cover].
Today these have been usurped by the surprisingly fantastic The Electronic Messiah! CBC [early 1982] digital record pressed in the USA. Human voices and synthesizer have never sounded so lovely and partnered. The vinyl is black and super quiet and dynamic- the subwoofer is happy.
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... -cover.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... h-back.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... detail.jpg

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 21 Aug 2019 04:48

Gravitar8 wrote:
20 Aug 2019 14:26
A superb discovery and right now my new favorite Classical LP :) Not so much of a surprise since my most recent favorite Classical LP [these favorites change regularly as I tend to grasp onto a few LPs at a certain moment in time and play them quasi-repeatedly....] was Walter Carlos Switched on Bach....and then Switched on Bach 2....and then the OST to A Clockwork Orange [the one with the cool collage cover].
Today these have been usurped by the surprisingly fantastic The Electronic Messiah! CBC [early 1982] digital record pressed in the USA. Human voices and synthesizer have never sounded so lovely and partnered. The vinyl is black and super quiet and dynamic- the subwoofer is happy.

Wow! very interesting... and different. I sampled it on youtube... I'm not a purist or anything, but was not won-over by the synththesizer... the voices, on the other hand..., outstanding! =D> !

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by JDJX » 22 Aug 2019 16:10

001Handel_cGxxx.jpg
(238.65 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 22 Aug 2019 22:22

Just got another replacement Erato LP. It's the Mouret/Lully suites album by the Jean-Francois Paillard Chamber Orchestra. Test played it earlier, and it sounds like it might be my best copy yet! Fingers crossed that this is the case!
IMG_3790.jpg
(128.29 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
There will be at least one more Baroque record after this before I get to Haydn. Track splitting efforts are currently at the Handel keyboard works. Out of those, only the fourth volume remains to deal with. Track splitting efforts tonight will be cut down due to watching the original Star Wars on Blu-Ray.

Edit: Gall-darn it! It's got a scratch at the start of the Rondeau which causes a forward skip. I will try to fix it. However, I can always use audio from my old copy to patch this if all else fails.

Update: The skip has been fixed! Just popping in that spot. Hopefully no further skips. I did hear additional pops in the second movement of the first suite, plus a loud hiss noise for a split second caused by another mark. The sound quality is great on the other hand, which makes up for this. There is some very light crackle in a few spots, but it's not remarkable. If only I could find copies of the Flute Sonatas that sound this good. Maybe my luck will change.

When I get to the cleanup of this album, which I will deal with tomorrow evening or during the weekend, I will use tiny sections of my first copy's recording to deal with the worst pops in the recording and the loud hiss spot. This copy is the same pressing as my second copy however, which makes it older than my first copy.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 23 Aug 2019 01:10

The record played all the way through. No skips or distortion. Best copy I've gotten yet. On to my movie.