Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
Post Reply
Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 08 Aug 2019 01:09

Thanks! Indeed I have been lucky enough to find a few "From Russia with Love" LPs and hope to continue to do so. I don't recognize the conductor but obviously he was quite capable- such a fine performance and recording. Still blown away by how w i d e this MONO recording sounds both in MONO and (Yamaha DSP algorithm) MONO to STEREO (using MONO Movie setting).
banerjba wrote:
07 Aug 2019 03:11
Russian music on a Russian label. Love that piece of music. The conductor's name is familiar sounding but I guess different from The Neeme Jarvi who I think is Estonian. Melodiya is a great label - I always snap up any that I find.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 10 Aug 2019 03:51

Mozart to start for me tonight.

This is a Dutch pressing of the various woodwind Concertos: K299, K191, K313 on the on the L'Oiseau-Lyre label. The digital sound is a tad thin and the performance by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music is kind of dull. I love these pieces but prefer the various classic DG lps I have. Very long lp 35 and 40 minutes per sides a and b respectively

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 10 Aug 2019 05:45

Next up: French Erato LP of Maurice Andre and his Sons playing music for 2 to 6 trumpets. Most of it is baroque (Tortelli, Teleman etc). Great sound on the French LP played through a French turntable and French speakers.

Played a bit of Mahler 4 between the Mozart and this disc.

Because of my age, I discovered classical in the mid 1980s during the digital lp and cd period. Most of my collection reflects this. Thanks to this thread I am seeking out non-digital lps and I am amazed how much more natural the records sound.

Hope everyone else is enjoying this great music.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4167
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 20:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by JDJX » 10 Aug 2019 16:24

Mozart - Violin Concertos
It features Isaac Stern on violin.

This is also a "promotional" copy and sounds great..... and is NM. :)
mozart2xx.jpg
(173.09 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 10 Aug 2019 22:18

Not my experience at all (with pre 1986 digital LPs) and certainly not with pre 1982 (CD era) digital LPs. Could it be something to do with late 80s early 90s converter technology?
banerjba wrote:
10 Aug 2019 03:51
Mozart to start for me tonight.

This is a Dutch pressing of the various woodwind Concertos: K299, K191, K313 on the on the L'Oiseau-Lyre label. The digital sound is a tad thin and the performance by Christopher Hogwood and the Academy of Ancient Music is kind of dull. I love these pieces but prefer the various classic DG lps I have. Very long lp 35 and 40 minutes per sides a and b respectively

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 11 Aug 2019 16:32

That is my experience too Gravitar. I think it was this recording - I have others in the same series that sound great.

I am now playing a rare 1976 EMI lp of music by Richard Yardumian; Symphony #1 and Armenian Suite.

One of Toronto's main deep catalogue classical shops was owned by an Armenian family so they used to get in records from Armenian classical composers and artists. I have never seen or heard of this composer but love this wonderful record of mid modern modern classical (this is not the atonal cacophonous mess that a lot of his peers might have written). Performance by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra led by Anshel Brusilow (not familiar with him either).

Question for those on this thread. I buy and try a lot of 20th century composers on LP. I do not like atonal music generally perhaps because I lack formal training in music so it just sounds like noise. Is anyone else into "modern" music?

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1196
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 11 Aug 2019 16:38

As easy as Sunday Morning....
tallis.jpg
(203.15 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
coup.jpg
(164.2 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 11 Aug 2019 16:54

I like modern music...but not sure what is and isn't modern...hmmm Philip Glass? (Like his work)...Dvorak (considered modern when released?)...Xenakis (Like his work a lot) Walter /Wendy Carlos (surely digital and synthesized interpretations of classical music is modern?) (Like Carlos work a lot)... John Cage (Like some of his work but is it considered classical- likely not....).
I think the bottom line is whether the music conveys a mode that fits into one's 'emotional needs'. Strauss is great on a day of reminiscing or lazing about for me!
banerjba wrote:
11 Aug 2019 16:32
That is my experience too Gravitar. I think it was this recording - I have others in the same series that sound great.

I am now playing a rare 1976 EMI lp of music by Richard Yardumian; Symphony #1 and Armenian Suite.

One of Toronto's main deep catalogue classical shops was owned by an Armenian family so they used to get in records from Armenian classical composers and artists. I have never seen or heard of this composer but love this wonderful record of mid modern modern classical (this is not the atonal cacophonous mess that a lot of his peers might have written). Performance by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra led by Anshel Brusilow (not familiar with him either).

Question for those on this thread. I buy and try a lot of 20th century composers on LP. I do not like atonal music generally perhaps because I lack formal training in music so it just sounds like noise. Is anyone else into "modern" music?

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 11 Aug 2019 16:55

What no Gregorian chants? Or is that first one a chanter?
C2H3Cln2 wrote:
11 Aug 2019 16:38
As easy as Sunday Morning....
tallis.jpg
coup.jpg

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 11 Aug 2019 19:32

For modern, I like Glass, Hovhaness, Rautavaara John Adams etc. I have more difficulty getting Boulez, Gubaidulina, Wuorinen, Stockhausen or even some of the 12 tone stuff from Schoenberg/Webrn/Berg. Interesting but more of a challenge.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 14 Aug 2019 00:33

Currently linear playing this 1964 LP and it is bonafide. Much greatness- conductor, performance, recording, vinyl quality, inner sleeve quality, jacket quality. 1 9 6 4 !
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... ngel-1.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... ngel-2.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... ngel-3.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... ngel-4.jpg

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1196
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 15 Aug 2019 03:40

Anna Netrebko - Verismo - a magnificent selection of her best work, expertly recorded by Deutsche Grammophon =D>
opera.jpg
(181.78 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 16 Aug 2019 02:13

Very nice - so that is a new recording?

Haydn and Beethoven for me to start tonight. The Haydn Piano Trio #28 and Beethoven's Archduke Trio by the Trio di Trieste on a DG Privilege budget reissue. Great sound but slightly noisy as these budget DGs tend to be.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 16 Aug 2019 17:45

Budget DG's? How would those LPs be identified- is a sub label? And what makes them noisy- less quality vinyl or poor stampers or?
banerjba wrote:
16 Aug 2019 02:13
Very nice - so that is a new recording?

Haydn and Beethoven for me to start tonight. The Haydn Piano Trio #28 and Beethoven's Archduke Trio by the Trio di Trieste on a DG Privilege budget reissue. Great sound but slightly noisy as these budget DGs tend to be.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1029
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 17 Aug 2019 04:51

The full price DGs are usually pressed in Germany and in the 1980s - were usually around $11.99 to $13.99.

The Budget series in Canada were called Debut, Privilege or Resonance. Mostly cheaper re-issues on Canadian pressings. I have never found Canadian classical records to be as good in terms of pressings although the music is always good and even a re-issue on DG will be a first rate performance with decent sound. I think the main pressing plants in Canada used a lot of recycled vinyl. Did not affect durability, just quietness.

It is Beethoven's Pastorale for me tonight. I have an EMI Eminance re-issue of the Klemperer/Philharmonia version (I have most of this cycle) and that will be followed by the Josef Krips version with the LSO on a French Musicdisc LP. Not well known and usually hard to find but I love the Krips cycle. Completely different takes on this well known piece.

Post Reply