Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
Post Reply
JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4201
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 20:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by JDJX » 19 Jul 2019 12:48

Gravitar8 wrote:
19 Jul 2019 11:53
Q- anyone else experienced this?
SOME (maybe 5%?) classical LP's in my collection have a low almost droning bass frequency where as the other 95% do not (and sound quite very nice). I've checked tracking force, subwoofer settings etc and all is in check. I am convinced that what I am hearing is simply the result of 'poor' recording or mastering. One that stuck out was the DG The Super Concert 100 minutes of.....
Other than the low, hazy bass drone this double LP sounds fantastic. Another possibility is groove degradation even though visual inspection it looks great?
If a movement has something like a basso continuo or even a cello continuo, you will get some lower frequencies.
This shoud be well balanced with the rest of the instruments.

I must ask, are you sure that your sub is adjusted correctly?
A well adjusted sub should sound great with all genes of music and depending on the mains, it will be mostly silent most of the time. :)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4201
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 20:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by JDJX » 19 Jul 2019 16:46

Various trios for flute, cello, and piano.....

by......
Clementi, Haydn, and Hummel .

Performed by "The New York Camerata"


It still in "shrink" :)
002trios 123xyz.jpg
(178.04 KiB) Downloaded 71 times

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 20 Jul 2019 01:05

Id bet the farm on it. In fact. Analog and Digital SPL meters used, frequency sweeps both analog (LP) and digital (CD/LD and online) used regularly to confirm not only level(s) but balance and cross over points. Truly this is a small sample LP issue.
JDJX wrote:
19 Jul 2019 12:48
Gravitar8 wrote:
19 Jul 2019 11:53
Q- anyone else experienced this?
SOME (maybe 5%?) classical LP's in my collection have a low almost droning bass frequency where as the other 95% do not (and sound quite very nice). I've checked tracking force, subwoofer settings etc and all is in check. I am convinced that what I am hearing is simply the result of 'poor' recording or mastering. One that stuck out was the DG The Super Concert 100 minutes of.....
Other than the low, hazy bass drone this double LP sounds fantastic. Another possibility is groove degradation even though visual inspection it looks great?
If a movement has something like a basso continuo or even a cello continuo, you will get some lower frequencies.
This shoud be well balanced with the rest of the instruments.

I must ask, are you sure that your sub is adjusted correctly?
A well adjusted sub should sound great with all genes of music and depending on the mains, it will be mostly silent most of the time. :)

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1035
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 20 Jul 2019 03:59

Gravitar8 wrote:
19 Jul 2019 11:53
Q- anyone else experienced this?
SOME (maybe 5%?) classical LP's in my collection have a low almost droning bass frequency where as the other 95% do not (and sound quite very nice). I've checked tracking force, subwoofer settings etc and all is in check.
My turntables are all of the modern platter on a plinth type (Pro-ject, Elipson, Clearaudio) with no suspension. Cartridges are basic mm played through decent modern phono pre-amps (Clearaudio and Pro-ject) and good wire.

My speakers are modern bookshelf with small subwoofers to augment bass. Not full range so no I don't hear this at all. If I did, I would dial back the sub. I use a sealed sub in the main system which is lovely in terms of integration. Adds warmth and lets the little speakers do their job and orchestral sounds so much fuller even at low volumes. Even with the sub, it certainly does not go deep though, so maybe my system does not resolve the frequency you are hearing.

I am wondering if what you are hearing relates to your cartridge and perhaps the need to filter subsonics? Does this happen with other turntable/cartridge combos? Have you tried it with another phono pre? Yes there are some records where this might be an issue but I think what you are hearing might be something else.

Faure tonight - various pieces on a 1982 London Digital lp by Sir Neville and the Academy. Had Masques and Bergamasques in my head all day so nice to hear it. Other pieces include the Pavane and Pelleas and Mellisande.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2548
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 21 Jul 2019 04:36

Update: Today I did a cleanup of my only Telemann album. This record I recorded from was a replacement original. Next up to deal with are those of Handel. Sixteen audio files from the harpsichord records will be dealt with first. When I get to the Neville Marriner recording of the Water Music and Royal Fireworks Music, I will clean up the Decca label recording, and not the Argo.

I might do a Bach Flute Sonata relisten, but not before Volume II arrives in the mail. I still don't have a good sounding original. But maybe I might benefit from getting the Sumiko Black Pearl. Do you guys think it might help with these Bach Flute Sonata records?

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1035
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 21 Jul 2019 04:58

Black Pearl is a nice cartridge. Great tone and dynamics and quite forgiving. Very old fashion cartridge (in Canada this was sold under the Coral and Andante brands in the 1970s and 1980s). I have the standard Pearl which is a great full bodied cartridge.

Listening to Butterworth's: A Shropshire Lad - full piece on Classics FM tonight. Lovely sound through a NAD amp and tuner and KEF speakers.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 Jul 2019 14:16

Good q's and in fact I have tried them with another tt setup (here and at a friends) and the result is the same. It's a recording artifact/vinyl cutting issue or similar.
banerjba wrote:
20 Jul 2019 03:59
Gravitar8 wrote:
19 Jul 2019 11:53
Q- anyone else experienced this?
SOME (maybe 5%?) classical LP's in my collection have a low almost droning bass frequency where as the other 95% do not (and sound quite very nice). I've checked tracking force, subwoofer settings etc and all is in check.
My turntables are all of the modern platter on a plinth type (Pro-ject, Elipson, Clearaudio) with no suspension. Cartridges are basic mm played through decent modern phono pre-amps (Clearaudio and Pro-ject) and good wire.

My speakers are modern bookshelf with small subwoofers to augment bass. Not full range so no I don't hear this at all. If I did, I would dial back the sub. I use a sealed sub in the main system which is lovely in terms of integration. Adds warmth and lets the little speakers do their job and orchestral sounds so much fuller even at low volumes. Even with the sub, it certainly does not go deep though, so maybe my system does not resolve the frequency you are hearing.

I am wondering if what you are hearing relates to your cartridge and perhaps the need to filter subsonics? Does this happen with other turntable/cartridge combos? Have you tried it with another phono pre? Yes there are some records where this might be an issue but I think what you are hearing might be something else.

Faure tonight - various pieces on a 1982 London Digital lp by Sir Neville and the Academy. Had Masques and Bergamasques in my head all day so nice to hear it. Other pieces include the Pavane and Pelleas and Mellisande.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1035
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 21 Jul 2019 15:26

Sorry to hear Gravitar. Makes me happy I am using more basic equipment that cannot resolve those frequencies.

Quick question, do any of you have access to classical radio (FM?). If not do you stream/listen to internet radio that has good sound?

We have two local stations (CBC which plays classical during the day and on weekended and Classics FM, which plays only that). Both have good FM sound through my NAD tuner.

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 Jul 2019 17:24

Thanks! and no biggie really- ive unshelved those 6 questionable LPs- every thing else sounds fab Also yes here in the Kawartha Lakes region there is a new FB classical station which is not bad- FM car sound system until i get my FM roof antenna sorted out for the Yamaha tuner. CBC usually sounds pretty good too but Im sure i hear heavy compression but that doesnt bother me. somewhere on the forum is a thread about fM stations currently using vinyl...I dont think we have any vinyl classical stations on the air in Ontario or nationwide?
banerjba wrote:
21 Jul 2019 15:26
Sorry to hear Gravitar. Makes me happy I am using more basic equipment that cannot resolve those frequencies.

Quick question, do any of you have access to classical radio (FM?). If not do you stream/listen to internet radio that has good sound?

We have two local stations (CBC which plays classical during the day and on weekended and Classics FM, which plays only that). Both have good FM sound through my NAD tuner.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1210
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 21 Jul 2019 18:26

A six LP collection - from 1967- As with most of these box sets, the records are mint; which means, previous owners didn't have the patience to change 6x2 recorded sides, so these remained untouched! :lol:
DV.jpg
(165.46 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

(addendum: my wife walked by and asked with a tinge of concern: "are you playing the whole box?!" :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Last edited by C2H3Cln2 on 21 Jul 2019 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4201
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 20:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by JDJX » 21 Jul 2019 18:54

Quick question, do any of you have access to classical radio (FM?). If not do you stream/listen to internet radio that has good sound?
It seems that most of the FM stations that played classical are either very low power or has closed up shop / given up for the lack of interest.
There was very nice on PBS (public) station in upstate NY that played classical but closed a few months ago for the lack of public funding

As far streaming.......

This is the only site that you need. They stream in very high quality.
You can even choose you favorite classical composers to stream.
You can even choose what types of classical music.... like "flute works" or "harpsichord works" for examples.
There is absolutely nothing not to like about it :)
https://www.classicalradio.com/
BTW, all things are free to use
However, there is a premium pay mode that is supposed to give you no advertising and slightly better bit rates.
However, the free steaming is all you will most likely want as it sounds that good . :)

Gravitar8
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 460
Joined: 18 Nov 2017 17:07
Contact:

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 Jul 2019 22:30

I have a few multi lp sets and noticed that for example in 4 lp set- they are side 1 and 5 on first lp then side 2 and 6 on second lp and then side 3 and 7 and side 4 and 8 on the last lp. Obvs this for record changers :) ! and so will get around to using the Garrard zero 100SB soon for these- stack up the lps and get continu play for the first 4 sides. Cool that this was thought out and planned over multi lps
C2H3Cln2 wrote:
21 Jul 2019 18:26
A six LP collection - from 1967- As with most of these box sets, the records are mint; which means, previous owners didn't have the patience to change 6x2 recorded sides, so these remained untouched! :lol:

DV.jpg


(addendum: my wife walked by and asked with a tinge of concern: "are you playing the whole box?!" :lol: :lol: :lol: )

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1210
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 21 Jul 2019 23:04

=D>
stax.jpg
(103.53 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 2548
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 02:58
Location: Michigan

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 22 Jul 2019 01:07

Update: Audio cleanup has advanced forwards again. Past the Handel keyboard works. All eight records. Whew. The third volume didn't need much cleanup. The first volume needed more than the rest. Soon, it's on to the three recordings of the Water Music and Music of the Royal Fireworks.

banerjba
long player
long player
Posts: 1035
Joined: 19 Mar 2009 16:25
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by banerjba » 22 Jul 2019 03:16

Vinyl, I an in awe of your collection of turntables. The H/K was fabulous and I love your changer. Which model is that? I have a Dual 1228 but it is set for single play as the multiplay spindle was lost. I do have some boxed sets that have changer sequencing of the sides though.

It is the DG LP from Tanglewood for me tonight. 1978 lp with the Tanglewood Festival Chorus playing American choral music from Carter, Ives and Copland as well as a composer named Druckman (also American) who is new to me.

Post Reply