long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 07 Jun 2019 03:01

banerjba wrote:
07 Jun 2019 02:59
DarthMaul wrote:
06 Jun 2019 01:56
That's a major milestone in the classical listening I will be doing. Has anybody on VinylEngine ever heard all of Joseph Haydn's symphonies? I have.
I have too - only once but it took a few weeks. I have that Antal Dorati 33-cd boxed set on Decca. It is the largest boxed set I own other than the giant Mozart one.

I own LP copies of various Haydn symphonies including a boxed LP set of the London Symphonies. I like Haydn more and more as I get older. Love the Haydn string quartets and piano music as well.

Tonight it is Brahms though. Ein Deutches Requiem - a Teldec LP with Previn and the RPO. This piece was usually sold in a boxed set of two LPs but this 1986 version managed to cram it on a single LP - each side is close to 38 minutes long, which is cd length. Such great music.
What about his symphonies? Ever heard William Steinberg's recordings from Command Classics?

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 07 Jun 2019 03:23

Steinberg's Brahms? No I have quite a few cycles of the four symphonies but that label was not sold in Canada.

Only Steinberg conducted LP I own is his Holst Planets on DG with the Boston SO.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 07 Jun 2019 04:30

Those records can still be obtained online. But I'd recommend the heavy gatefold stereo ones for the first three symphonies. As for #4, finding an original can be tough, but not as tough as finding the first pressing of Paillard's 1968 Pachelbel/Fasch recording with Maurice Andre. That was a royal pain for me to find. Mine has suffered some mild damage in spots, but is still quite listenable. It's still in a condition that is very difficult to find in, but has a small mark in the Canon that was always there.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 07 Jun 2019 21:46

DarthMaul wrote:
07 Jun 2019 02:34
A new belt came in the mail, but it was too tight. Back on the old belt went. Not risking stressing the motor. I will wait for the Thakker belt. After it comes, I will purchase the Audio Nirvana belt to see how it compares.

IMG_3556.jpg
Redid Side 2 today. Even better, if by a small margin. Looks like the replacement belt did the trick with the speed issue. Fortunately with all the previous recordings, it's not that noticeable so I'm fine with it. The old belt worked well enough with those recordings but it looks like it's just not able to be trusted. Can't wait for the Thakker belt. Although the turntable gets up to speed very quickly now, it keeps gaining speed, so I will leave the knob where it is now and let its speed increase enough before starting play. Might be related to the new belt or the subplatter's shaft.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 08 Jun 2019 04:43

So sorry to hear of your turntable issues. I have had my share recently. My high mileage Project Essential 2's motor started making odd sounds in March. Not bad but annoying. Today I brought home a new Rega Planar 2 and it also had motor issues. Fabulous sounding but it is going back.

I just went through an odd Mozart Opera called Gartnerin aus Leibe. Not a favourite but nice older LP recording. I am impressed with the Rega's PRaT and precision. Hopefully a new one will be coming tomorrow. Finishing off tonight with more opera - Salzberg Recital by Kathleen Battle and James Levine. Both terrible people who made great music.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 08 Jun 2019 16:30

Acis and Galatea was the pinnacle of pastoral opera in England. Indeed, several writers, such as musicologist Stanley Sadie, consider it the greatest pastoral opera ever composed. As is typical of the genre, Acis and Galatea was written as a courtly entertainment about the simplicity of rural life and contains a significant amount of wit and self-parody.
handel.jpg
(188.2 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 08 Jun 2019 21:01

banerjba wrote:
08 Jun 2019 04:43
So sorry to hear of your turntable issues. I have had my share recently. My high mileage Project Essential 2's motor started making odd sounds in March. Not bad but annoying. Today I brought home a new Rega Planar 2 and it also had motor issues. Fabulous sounding but it is going back.

I just went through an odd Mozart Opera called Gartnerin aus Leibe. Not a favourite but nice older LP recording. I am impressed with the Rega's PRaT and precision. Hopefully a new one will be coming tomorrow. Finishing off tonight with more opera - Salzberg Recital by Kathleen Battle and James Levine. Both terrible people who made great music.
They seem to have settled down quite a bit. With the replacement belt, the slowdowns have seemed to have stopped, but the turntable gradually gains speed over several minutes. At some point the speed stabilizes. Going to let it increase without the stylus going on the record and reduce until the strobe stays still, unless I can find a way for it to get to that speed faster; I think the subplatter's bearing has something to do with it. However, with the replacement belt it's been getting up to its initial speed faster. It starts at a rate the old belt could not increase the speed by.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 08 Jun 2019 22:51

This is a replacement copy. My old copy had some problems with scuff-like noises that were heard a lot despite being a shiny black and not having much in the way of marks, causing listening issues. I waited until my turntable got to a stable speed before I played the record. (Just checked. Strobe had only the smallest back and forth movement.) Staying away from the old belt just in case it was causing issues. It was slipping on the motor pulley, after all. When I told my co-worker whose nickname is "Big B." yesterday about what happened when I replaced the belt, he suspected the old belt was causing problems.

No issues with backwards speed drifts have been occurring so far since the belt was replaced with my first new one. The speed drifts that happened when the stylus touched down stopped happening when the motor started up without issues again, which made me think the motor's problem was the cause of that. Don't know if the motor's issue was the motor itself or caused by the electronics. I plan to get the motor checked with an ohm-meter at some point. If it's much worse than the spare motor, then it will be replaced.
IMG_3578.jpg
(134.13 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
Any speed drifts that have been occurring lately have only been to the left after I get it stable, and at one bar every six seconds. No audible change in pitch or anything. Also, this record has fewer of those issues the old copy had, and still has better sound quality than my Erato EFM copy (a repressing) has.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 09 Jun 2019 00:31

Good to hear your issues are settling down. Got a second new Planar 2 - it is noisy too. My other tables like Pro-ject and Elipson are dead quiet while the Clearaudio has DC whine but not an issue as long as it is sitting on a non-reflective surface.

Listening to the same excellent Battle/Levine recital. It has Mozart, Faure and other treats as well as American spirituals. Both of these artists were at the peak of their musical powers and this 34 year old LP on DG clearly shows it.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 09 Jun 2019 01:49

Last of the Handel music until the record I ordered arrives. Three records in this box set. If I do not delay until the next record comes, the next music is by Bach.
IMG_3580.jpg
(129.42 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 09 Jun 2019 05:53

DarthMaul wrote:
09 Jun 2019 01:49
Last of the Handel music until the record I ordered arrives. Three records in this box set. If I do not delay until the next record comes, the next music is by Bach.

IMG_3580.jpg
Getting near the end. Listening to Side 6. Concerto No. 11 is playing.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 09 Jun 2019 05:57

I have 4 individual lps of those wonderful 12 concerti. #12 is my favourite. My lps are of the Herbert von Karajan cycle with the Berlin Philharmonic. Seems a bit overkill for this music to have an orchestra that large.

Your set would probably be a lot better and a lot closer to what these pieces should sound like. I like my HVK set a lot even though it has a slightly "Handel played as Beethoven" feel to it. On a Harncourt lp sampler on Teldec, I have a snippet of the 12th Concerti and it is excellent. Never did find the full lp of this version but it is on my list.

I think a lot of older music lovers are dumping their collections here in Toronto so after nearly 20 years of not being able to find much, I am spoiled for choice in the local record stores. I am hoping to find the Harncourt record soon.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 09 Jun 2019 06:20

Vinyl, that Handel record appears to be from the same series as Darth's.

Beautiful table by the way. Looks like a TOTL H/K from the mid 1980s - they had really good arms too.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 09 Jun 2019 21:38

banerjba wrote:
09 Jun 2019 06:20
Vinyl, that Handel record appears to be from the same series as Darth's.
Same label, different conductor.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 09 Jun 2019 22:46

banerjba wrote:
09 Jun 2019 00:31
Good to hear your issues are settling down.
banerjba,

The issues haven't completely gone away, even with the replacement belt. I suspect the motor is starting to have trouble intermittently, as on some occasions the platter doesn't start up on its own, and sometimes I get a slowdown all of a sudden. I will have my uncle check the motor with an ohm-meter to find out if the brushes are getting worn. Same with the replacement motor, which should be better. I do not trust this turntable's original motor, although roughly over 90% of the time it starts without fail. I will be checking the tracking on the parts and will make sure I'm at the house when they get here. I don't think the Thakker belt will completely solve everything.

I am not going to have my uncle and I take the turntable apart without dealing with the replacement motor first. The rubber mount is part of an eBay item containing a motor that doesn't run well, and that motor's wires will get desoldered from it and moved to the replacement after the rubber mount and pulley get put on said motor. If troubles still happen after the motor is replaced or if it's determined to be really good, I will suspect the electronics and will contact ddarch. Alec (Alec124c41) did say ddarch can overhaul the turntable if I need it done.