Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Jun 2019 00:21

Good god, I got stupid and decided to remove the cap of the fine speed adjuster to look at things when it popped off and hit my Neville Marriner Water Music/Royal Fireworks music record and caused damage! The record skips now. Went on eBay and replaced it! Fortunately the record was only $15. The cartridge wasn't hit. I still have my old recording effort from a few years back, which sounds fantastic, so it can wait. Too much Music for the Royal Fireworks and Water Music in a row otherwise.

This record will be delayed until a later date. Moving to the next one instead. Cannot fix the skip. Never doing that again. That one is not my favorite recording of the Water Music or Music for the Royal Fireworks anyways, and on my playlist it goes between the two conductors' recordings. I will deal with it before getting to the Bach records, however, so I will be delayed if I get past the Concerti Grossi.
Last edited by DarthMaul on 03 Jun 2019 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 03 Jun 2019 00:34

So sorry for your loss.

I have a few recordings of that Handel work but not that nice one you were speaking of. My favourite is conducted by Yehudi Menuhin with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on their own label. Very rare but an interesting take versus some of the older version I have on DG and Philips from the 1970s.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Jun 2019 01:02

banerjba wrote:
03 Jun 2019 00:34
So sorry for your loss.

I have a few recordings of that Handel work but not that nice one you were speaking of. My favourite is conducted by Yehudi Menuhin with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra on their own label. Very rare but an interesting take versus some of the older version I have on DG and Philips from the 1970s.
It was stupidity on my part, but the replacement only cost $15. My ruined copy was a repressing anyways, as is the replacement. I don't have the original. I will live with it until the replacement comes.

But that means I will be hearing Trevor Pinnock's recording the the English Concert next. His recording is my absolute favorite of the Water Music. Not pulling that knob off again with a record on the platter ever again. I'm just glad I didn't do that to an expensive record or a rare one. I would have been REALLY ticked off if I had done that to my oldest pressing of Paillard's recording of the Pachelbel Canon. (Still can't find another copy of that edition anywhere, but it's not ruined so I'm glad about that.) Fortunately, that one will remain sleeved and isn't going to see playback again if I can help it due to it being so hard to get compared to the later editions.
Last edited by DarthMaul on 03 Jun 2019 01:40, edited 4 times in total.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Jun 2019 01:13

Since I damaged the Neville Marriner album I decided to play just now, I have moved on to Trevor Pinnock. I have made a decision to stop the record playbacks when I get to the Concerti Grossi Opus 3. I will wait for the replacement record at that time. It was cleaned on a VPI. The damaged copy will be thrown away. It's my least favorite recording of the Water Music because some movements were shortened.
IMG_3515.jpg
(134.97 KiB) Downloaded 89 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Jun 2019 04:17

The aforementioned album I damaged, I decided to also buy the Decca pressing. Which is better? Argo or Decca? This is my final online purchase.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 03 Jun 2019 05:26

I always thought Argo was series of London/Decca. In Canada, Argo was often a budget line of London (the same records used the Decca label in the UK).

Went to the Dixie Flea market and got a couple of more lps. These were affordable but one was slightly noisy - should be better after a bit of a cleaning and playing. The other was the soundtrack for Out of Africa. This crappy Canadian LP has dull sound and side one has pitch issues. The Pro-ject table in the living room was not loving this. Things are better on the Clearaudio but even this excellent German table cannot compensate for what is likely a defective pressing. Too bad, because the LP was clean. The cover was also very good and of course I love the music - it has a piece of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto on it.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 04 Jun 2019 01:32

Last time I will be hearing this piece until the replacement copy of Neville Marriner's recording comes. The Concerti a Due Cori are on here, except for "Concerto a Due Cori No. 1".

IMG_3518.jpg
(161.5 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Edit: Trevor Pinnock did record the "Concerto a Due Cori No. 1 in B Flat", but it's on the Christmas Concertos album, which is a CD only release. Since it can be gotten in mp3 form, I will get it later on.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 04 Jun 2019 20:39

banerjba wrote:
03 Jun 2019 00:34
So sorry for your loss.

The replacement copy of the record I damaged by accident is arriving today. I will throw the damaged record out. The Decca label pressing will arrive later. I will be listening to Neville Marriner's recording of the Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks before getting to Trevor Pinnock's album containing the Concerto Grosso "Alexander's Feast".

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Jun 2019 02:10

This is the last time I will hear the Music for the Royal Fireworks and the Water Music directly from the vinyl. Normally, I would be listening to this recording before that of Trevor Pinnock. Due to the accident with my old copy, it has been delayed.
IMG_3524.jpg
(132.29 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 05 Jun 2019 15:36

NP and.. we are hoping for your turntables full rejuvenation!
DarthMaul wrote:
02 Jun 2019 23:49
Gravitar8 wrote:
02 Jun 2019 23:27
It occurred to me----- since you are recording/digitizing the recording and you have (stability) speed problems- why not just compensate via the software settings? So for eg- if you are aiming for 33 1/3 rpm playback and finding actual speed is 35 RPM when recorded, 'simply' adjust the speed without affecting pitch.
That is a great idea, but the stability (speed) problems have become lesser. The speed problems were of a type that made the recording efforts not worth it due to the stylus drag being way worse than it ought to be. It was slowing down and speeding up too noticeably, indicating something was wrong. I don't mind it if the pitch change is so little that I can't perceive it. Sometimes I do make those changes in the software, by keeping an older copy of the recording around from the past to make them based on. But I also prefer to get my turntable working at its best. With the pulley and rubber mount bought online today, I intend to get the motor replaced in the end. But I also intend to get the subplatter bearing completely cleaned and lubricated right. I'm less concerned with the pitch variance now, as it was caused by a performance problem involving the motor or the subplatter. The speed has been frequently more stable lately. When I get the replacement motor installed, the performance might improve even further beyond how it did when I first got the turntable.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Jun 2019 21:05

Gravitar8 wrote:
05 Jun 2019 15:36
NP and.. we are hoping for your turntables full rejuvenation!
DarthMaul wrote:
02 Jun 2019 23:49
Gravitar8 wrote:
02 Jun 2019 23:27
It occurred to me----- since you are recording/digitizing the recording and you have (stability) speed problems- why not just compensate via the software settings? So for eg- if you are aiming for 33 1/3 rpm playback and finding actual speed is 35 RPM when recorded, 'simply' adjust the speed without affecting pitch.
That is a great idea, but the stability (speed) problems have become lesser. The speed problems were of a type that made the recording efforts not worth it due to the stylus drag being way worse than it ought to be. It was slowing down and speeding up too noticeably, indicating something was wrong. I don't mind it if the pitch change is so little that I can't perceive it. Sometimes I do make those changes in the software, by keeping an older copy of the recording around from the past to make them based on. But I also prefer to get my turntable working at its best. With the pulley and rubber mount bought online today, I intend to get the motor replaced in the end. But I also intend to get the subplatter bearing completely cleaned and lubricated right. I'm less concerned with the pitch variance now, as it was caused by a performance problem involving the motor or the subplatter. The speed has been frequently more stable lately. When I get the replacement motor installed, the performance might improve even further beyond how it did when I first got the turntable.
I am too. Right now it is working okay and keeping up speed. Recording Side 2 of my old copy of the previous record I listened to last night. The replacement copy has groove damage on Side 2. I did not seem to hear audible distortion at the end of the Fireworks Music of the replacement, so Side 1 will be left alone. Hopefully I don't need to record that and create a patch file. If I do, the scratched spot will not get played. I will play the area before it for one file, and the remainder after for the next.

However, I'd rather wait for the Decca pressing to see if it's superior sounding. Next stop after this, is likely to be the Les Discophiles pressing of "Il Pastor Fido", which isn't really by Antonio Vivaldi. It is mono. I have no idea what it sounds like. Its inner sleeve is shaped like a scroll or something, which is an oddity. After that comes the Concerti Grossi Opus 3. I will hold off the Concerti Grossi Opus 6 for a time I have enough time for the entire box set.

Edit: Just what I believed. No distortion where it distorted on the other replacement Argo pressing. Hopefully the Decca is just as good if not better. Some time later I will try to find a Decca pressing with the light blue label.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Jun 2019 23:50

Another French label. "Les Discophiles Francais". It's "Il Pastor Fido" again. This is an original mono pressing. Time to hear how it sounds. After this, it's back to Handel, with the Concerto Grosso "Alexander's Feast".
IMG_3530.jpg
(110.48 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
I'm curious as to whether there's a Les Discophiles Francais stereo pressing of this.

Edit: The sonatas are in a different order on this than on the Erato record! Sonata No. 2 comes first, then 3, then 1. On the Erato, it was 1, then 3, then 2.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 06 Jun 2019 01:56

Last record for the night.
IMG_3538.jpg
(150.81 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
I am going to need to clean the Well-Tempered Clavier before I can get to playing it, and so there will be a delay. There are six records in the box set and my record cleaning machine can handle up to two or three before needing a cooldown period. Every now and then while going through the Bach records, one of the Haydn symphony box sets will get a cleaning. That's a major milestone in the classical listening I will be doing. Has anybody on VinylEngine ever heard all of Joseph Haydn's symphonies? I have.

Edit: Dirt caused skipping on the last track of Side 1. Redoing the last track on that side only. I will edit the recorded file to eliminate the faulty recording section. I will check Side 2 for any crud before play. I should not need to remove dirt with a toothpick, but sometimes I do. The carbon fiber brush didn't get it out.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 07 Jun 2019 02:34

A new belt came in the mail, but it was too tight. Back on the old belt went. Not risking stressing the motor. I will wait for the Thakker belt. After it comes, I will purchase the Audio Nirvana belt to see how it compares.
IMG_3556.jpg
(93.04000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 07 Jun 2019 02:59

DarthMaul wrote:
06 Jun 2019 01:56
That's a major milestone in the classical listening I will be doing. Has anybody on VinylEngine ever heard all of Joseph Haydn's symphonies? I have.
I have too - only once but it took a few weeks. I have that Antal Dorati 33-cd boxed set on Decca. It is the largest boxed set I own other than the giant Mozart one.

I own LP copies of various Haydn symphonies including a boxed LP set of the London Symphonies. I like Haydn more and more as I get older. Love the Haydn string quartets and piano music as well.

Tonight it is Brahms though. Ein Deutches Requiem - a Teldec LP with Previn and the RPO. This piece was usually sold in a boxed set of two LPs but this 1986 version managed to cram it on a single LP - each side is close to 38 minutes long, which is cd length. Such great music.