Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 26 May 2019 19:32

Made a decision to partially re-record Il Pastor Fido, from my old copy of the record. Only using it for parts of the older pressing (my second copy) where there was bothersome noise. My old copy has a skip at the start, making it unworthy for a full recording effort. Not going to waste time trying to fix that. I want to get to the next composer.

Just ordered a copy of the Discophiles original record, which is mono. Can't wait to hear what that one sounds like.

Edit: Done dealing with "Il Pastor Fido" for now.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 26 May 2019 20:25

My one and only Telemann album, "3 Concertos & Suite Concertante". By the way, how is "concertante" pronounced?
IMG_3434.jpg
(135.74 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Edit: Decided to get another copy of this record as well. But this is my last purchase before my next paycheck. No more purchases until then. Seems to be some scuffing noises in this copy that my stylus is hitting. It affects the sound in spots. My Erato EFM pressing doesn't have this issue, but the Erato STE pressing has the better sound. There are at least two other copies floating around that I know of that were graded EX+ and above, and one was ordered graded NM. Fingers crossed. Not recording the Erato EFM pressing unless necessary.

Next stop, Handel. However, I'm not starting with the Water Music like in the past. And I never start with the Concerti Grossi. Eight double albums were obtained. (I don't have or intend to listen to the Messiah, so guess if you want to unless I suddenly post.) Only one clue: Barry Lyndon.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 27 May 2019 01:24

DarthMaul wrote:
26 May 2019 20:25
Next stop, Handel. However, I'm not starting with the Water Music like in the past. And I never start with the Concerti Grossi. Eight double albums were obtained. (I don't have or intend to listen to the Messiah, so guess if you want to unless I suddenly post.) Only one clue: Barry Lyndon.
Well, since nobody replied during that time, I will mention this: I am now listening to the keyboard works of Handel. I have four volumes to go through, each with two records. (I said eight double albums; that was an error as there's only four I bought from this series.) This volume is of the second set of harpsichord suites.
IMG_3457.jpg
(130.22 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 27 May 2019 16:07

Second volume of this set. More Handel keyboard works. Partitas, Suites, Toccatas, etc. Next set is another full suite volume. Restarting play, as I began with the wrong side earlier. I deleted the sound file recorded from Side 2, but will make the decision after finishing Side 1 whether to put it back.
IMG_3464.jpg
(140.1 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
These sets were also released on Eurodisc. Which pressings came first? Orbis or Eurodisc?

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 27 May 2019 19:59

More of Handel's harpsichord suites. This time from the first volume. Only one double album of harpsichord works remains after this, then it's on to orchestral music again.
IMG_3466.jpg
(142.38 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 27 May 2019 21:30

DarthMaul wrote:
27 May 2019 19:59
More of Handel's harpsichord suites. This time from the first volume. Only one double album of harpsichord works remains after this, then it's on to orchestral music again.

IMG_3466.jpg
Holding off on Side 4 until after dinner. I eat dinner at 5, and that side is over a half hour long.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 28 May 2019 00:36

Last of the Handel harpsichord albums. No more harpsichord-only music until the Well-Tempered Clavier.
IMG_3472.jpg
(137.57 KiB) Downloaded 52 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 28 May 2019 12:06

Barry Lyndon as in the Kubrick Masterpiece (though depressing masterpiece)?
Why not the Messiah? Is it all too 'choiry or chorusey' for your tastes?
DarthMaul wrote:
27 May 2019 01:24
DarthMaul wrote:
Well, since nobody replied during that time, I will mention this: I am now listening to the keyboard works of Handel. I have four volumes to go through, each with two records. (I said eight double albums; that was an error as there's only four I bought from this series.) This volume is of the second set of harpsichord suites.

IMG_3457.jpg

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 28 May 2019 21:37

Gravitar8 wrote:
28 May 2019 12:06
Barry Lyndon as in the Kubrick Masterpiece (though depressing masterpiece)?
Why not the Messiah? Is it all too 'choiry or chorusey' for your tastes?
DarthMaul wrote:
27 May 2019 01:24
DarthMaul wrote:

IMG_3457.jpg
Not interested in most choral music.

Haven't yet recorded Side 4 of the last harpsichord record set. Ran into some strange turntable trouble. Might be belt related. Seems to suddenly slow down slightly when the stylus comes into contact with the grooves... Is that odd? I don't think that should happen. As mentioned in my newest Thorens topic, the motor won't easily start on its own now. A little push gets it going, but even at 78rpm it runs very, very fast and quietly. An odd problem. However, I often check for dust on the records using a flash light while rotating the platter, and this ends up turning the motor, resulting in it starting when I turn the power switch while the platter slows down. Can't say if the belt is slipping, but a new belt might solve the issue.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 29 May 2019 01:54

Time for my oldest recording of Handel's Water Music. It's the Jean-François Paillard Chamber Orchestra. This recording is from 1961, and is an original pressing of the record. (This is an early stereo release, Erato STE 50045.) This is my replacement copy, which was cleaned last night. I did a comparison test between it and my old one, and this one is superior due to its overall condition. It's just as glossy as the old one but has fewer signs of play.

Still, in some spots the trumpet distorts, right in the same spot as my old copy. I think it's a pressing fault or the master tape. Not sure which. This is my second-favorite recording, right next to that of Trevor Pinnock! Unlike his recording, this old record is more difficult to find.
IMG_3473.jpg
(149.47 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 02:29

Love early Stereo lps! Some 1950's Living Stereo, Living Presence sound pretty awesome.

Code: Select all

=DarthMaul post_id=979357 time=1559091261 user_id=137458]
Time for my oldest recording of Handel's Water Music. It's the Jean-François Paillard Chamber Orchestra. This recording is from 1961, and is an original pressing of the record. (This is an early stereo release, Erato STE 50045.) This is my replacement copy, which was cleaned last night. I did a comparison test between it and my old one, and this one is superior due to its overall condition. It's just as glossy as the old one but has fewer signs of play.

Still, in some spots the trumpet distorts, right in the same spot as my old copy. I think it's a pressing fault or the master tape. Not sure which. This is my second-favorite recording, right next to that of Trevor Pinnock! Unlike his recording, this old record is more difficult to find.

IMG_3473.jpg
[/quote]

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 29 May 2019 02:53

Not all of Erato's early stereo LPs sound as awesome. If their sheen is intact, they can sound great like the earlier blue and whites, which came out later. Now, I have noticed some speed variance going on with my turntable. Is it normal to see the strobe randomly going back and forth slowly? Hoping a new belt which I ordered will solve this. Not noticing a change in pitch much. The motor isn't failing me, although it needs a kick-start by rotating the platter. It should not. Yet it's able to go full speed when I kick-start it and quietly too. Noticed that when I pressed a toothpick gently against the rubber motor mount on the right side, it didn't result in the motor trying to start. Going to cease adding anything to it now that it's quiet. However, I plan to get another pulley and a bad motor so I can get the rubber motor mount, when money allows. This way I can have spares to be installed on the replacement motor so it can be used if the time comes, without having to get the pulley off the old motor.

By the way, the trumpet distorts some in spots on this recording, and inner groove distortion still happens like it did with my old one.

If I finish this, I may or may not listen to Paillard's recording of the Royal Fireworks Music, which has two concertos on the flip side. But it will be getting late if I listen to it, so I might hold off.

By the way, what did you think of the Edgar Krapp albums of Handel's harpsichord works? They were released in 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981 respectively. The famous Sarabande, on the 1978 album (Volume 1) has two variations that are not used in Barry Lyndon.

After the next Paillard album, I will be listening to Neville Marriner's recording of the Music for the Royal Fireworks/Water Music. That's on one record, but the Water Music is shortened in places. After that, it's on to three Trevor Pinnock albums: The first one is the Water Music (last time), next comes the Music for the Royal Fireworks (final time), then an album featuring the Concerto Grosso "Alexander's Feast". My Handel music then gets rounded out with the Concerti Grossi Opus 3 and Concerti Grossi Opus 6.

However, when the Concerti Grossi Opus 6 ends, next up will be the Well-Tempered Clavier. Yep, that's Bach, and the number of Bach records I have lasts even longer than the Vivaldi did, or takes just as long.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 12:48

Others here with MUCH more experience than me but I think 'vary pitching' (especially if a slow SIN wave like wavering) indicates a warped record. Do you have/are you using a heavy record clamp?
Still....having to hand start a platter isn't a good sign. Could be a stretched belt though...stretched enough to affect start up but enough to prevent playback.
re Handel: I am a classical neophyte and trying to learn and discover which composers/styles/era's resonate with me. I am only familiar with Messiah (but have a few Water Music LP's which I will get to listening sooner than later).
DarthMaul wrote:
29 May 2019 02:53
Not all of Erato's early stereo LPs sound as awesome. If their sheen is intact, they can sound great like the earlier blue and whites, which came out later. Now, I have noticed some speed variance going on with my turntable. Is it normal to see the strobe randomly going back and forth slowly? Hoping a new belt which I ordered will solve this. Not noticing a change in pitch much. The motor isn't failing me, although it needs a kick-start by rotating the platter. It should not. Yet it's able to go full speed when I kick-start it and quietly too. Noticed that when I pressed a toothpick gently against the rubber motor mount on the right side, it didn't result in the motor trying to start. Going to cease adding anything to it now that it's quiet. However, I plan to get another pulley and a bad motor so I can get the rubber motor mount, when money allows. This way I can have spares to be installed on the replacement motor so it can be used if the time comes, without having to get the pulley off the old motor.

By the way, the trumpet distorts some in spots on this recording, and inner groove distortion still happens like it did with my old one.

If I finish this, I may or may not listen to Paillard's recording of the Royal Fireworks Music, which has two concertos on the flip side. But it will be getting late if I listen to it, so I might hold off.

By the way, what did you think of the Edgar Krapp albums of Handel's harpsichord works? They were released in 1978, 1979, 1980 and 1981 respectively. The famous Sarabande, on the 1978 album (Volume 1) has two variations that are not used in Barry Lyndon.

After the next Paillard album, I will be listening to Neville Marriner's recording of the Music for the Royal Fireworks/Water Music. That's on one record, but the Water Music is shortened in places. After that, it's on to three Trevor Pinnock albums: The first one is the Water Music (last time), next comes the Music for the Royal Fireworks (final time), then an album featuring the Concerto Grosso "Alexander's Feast". My Handel music then gets rounded out with the Concerti Grossi Opus 3 and Concerti Grossi Opus 6.

However, when the Concerti Grossi Opus 6 ends, next up will be the Well-Tempered Clavier. Yep, that's Bach, and the number of Bach records I have lasts even longer than the Vivaldi did, or takes just as long.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 29 May 2019 12:59

The record was flat. Might need to oil the underside of the subplatter.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 29 May 2019 14:40

Finally had a chance to spin this recent 'feebay' LP acquisition. A few ticks and pops (unexpected since listed as NM) but I think I can remove most of them with another cleaning and de-static treatment.
This LP is excellent. I was surprised by how "electronic" but in a modern sense the first 1/2 of side 1 was. If anyone here enjoys Carlos' TRON soundtrack then you will likely smile while listening this one....I sure did.
http://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/upload ... LL-OST.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... L-OST.jpg/
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... T-back.jpg