Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by billshurv » 19 May 2019 00:59

Of course :)

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 19 May 2019 03:10

Yes CBC sold off or gave away a lot of great records. I get them now and then when lp shopping.

Tonight, I am starting my listening with a new acquisition: Lizst: Music for Two Pianos by Katia and Marielle Labeque on an EMI Angel Digital lp. It is a very quiet recording in terms of low volume for some reason. This is not one of the nice German pressings but a pretty decent US one.

It contains: Reminscences of Don Juan and Two Episodes from Lenau's Faust including the Mephisto Waltz.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 19 May 2019 16:29

There is a topic published every Sunday in the NY Times. It's about how notable ( or notorious) people spend their Sundays. The article chronicles the routines these luminaries ritualistically follow on Sundays. My Sunday routine is getting up when the sun shines though the windows, brew some strong coffee, allow its scent to permeate the atmosphere while listening to my collection of Classical recordings. The rest of the day just flows naturally.... =D>

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 May 2019 20:59

After a month or so, my Thorens TD-126 MK III is up and running again! Only listening to Side 2 of this Albinoni record set. My old copy had distortion on Concerto No. 6. That's why I'm doing this.
IMG_3376.jpg
(124.28 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 19 May 2019 23:58

The Maestro ! Found this today in the wild. An exciting find. Excellent LP ! I think it might be the only way to hear the Empire Strikes Back "Asteroid theme"?
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... -cover.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... e-back.jpg

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 20 May 2019 00:37

Only listening to Side 2. My old copy of the box set had an unfixable skip in Sonata No. 4 in F Major. #-o Glad I replaced it. Not listening to the other five sides to save stylus hours.
IMG_3378.jpg
(121.17 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 20 May 2019 12:56

If I may be so bold as to suggest- buy another headshell and cart/stylus.... then you can play the hell out of the other 5 sides :)
DarthMaul wrote:
20 May 2019 00:37
Only listening to Side 2. My old copy of the box set had an unfixable skip in Sonata No. 4 in F Major. #-o Glad I replaced it. Not listening to the other five sides to save stylus hours.

IMG_3378.jpg

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 20 May 2019 14:33

Got an amazing haul from a place called the Dixie Flea market - lots of French imports. Will start cleaning and playing today.

Like Mr Vinyl (love your username), my weekend mornings always start with a pot of coffee and classical records or cds.

This morning I am playing a Delos lp from the now defunct American label. Mozart symphonies 4, 5 and 29 by James DePriest. Rare to find early Mozart symphonies in the mid 1970s.

Like most Canadians, I live near the US border. I bought this sealed LP about 10 years ago from PJs, an excellent record store in Ann Arbor, Michigan, close to the U fo M campus. I see some regulars on here like Darth who likely live within driving distance of this excellent store. Very small but I always make a trip to PJs for classical when I am in the Detroit area.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 20 May 2019 23:59

Gravitar8 wrote:
20 May 2019 12:56
If I may be so bold as to suggest- buy another headshell and cart/stylus.... then you can play the hell out of the other 5 sides :)
DarthMaul wrote:
20 May 2019 00:37

IMG_3378.jpg
No need, Gravitar8. The other sides were already recorded, hence why I didn't do it.

Now on to something I haven't heard. Corelli: 12 Church Trio Sonatas Opus 1, 12 Chamber Trio Sonatas Opus 2. On vinyl from 1957 on the Vox label! I also have a 1980s recording of the Opus 1 Trio Sonatas, but no vinyl recordings in stereo of the Opus 2 set. Hmmm.
IMG_3380.jpg
(123.64 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Using my Stanton D810 stylus for these. The D98IIs is for stereo records. Found a way to get it to track at 5 grams. (Added a dime, added one gram of tracking force at both the fine and course tracking controls. Antiskate is set at 2.5 which is the maximum this tonearm can do. I also have another set of mono Corelli records after this. Once they're done with, it's back to the stereo records, and continuing from where I originally stopped.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 21 May 2019 00:08

Cool to see a dime on a headshell though that would make me anxious( did you tape it down? ). More to the point: apologies if this has been answered before here on the forum but why not just use the MONO switch on preamp/amp and use a stereo cartridge instead of a MONO cart? What are the differences etc?
Now on to something I haven't heard. Corelli: 12 Church Trio Sonatas Opus 1, 12 Chamber Trio Sonatas Opus 2. On vinyl from 1957 on the Vox label! I also have a 1980s recording of the Opus 1 Trio Sonatas, but no vinyl recordings in stereo of the Opus 2 set. Hmmm.

IMG_3380.jpg

Using my Stanton D810 stylus for these. The D98IIs is for stereo records. Found a way to get it to track at 5 grams. (Added a dime, added one gram of tracking force at both the fine and course tracking controls. Antiskate is set at 2.5 which is the maximum this tonearm can do. I also have another set of mono Corelli records after this. Once they're done with, it's back to the stereo records, and continuing from where I originally stopped.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 May 2019 00:28

Gravitar8 wrote:
21 May 2019 00:08
Cool to see a dime on a headshell though that would make me anxious( did you tape it down? ). More to the point: apologies if this has been answered before here on the forum but why not just use the MONO switch on preamp/amp and use a stereo cartridge instead of a MONO cart? What are the differences etc?

IMG_3380.jpg

The amplifier I am using doesn't have a mono switch. Also, I do have a smaller amp with a mono switch, but when I use it with the mono switch, I lose high frequency response. However, that smaller amp I am not able to hook up to my speakers due to their connection style. As for the dime, yes, it's taped down on the sides of the headshell. The cartridge is a stereo one, but the stylus is a mono one that is compatible with it. The stylus was originally to be used with the Stanton 881s, but I'm not going to disconnect this Stanton 981HZ-IIs cartridge from the cartridge tags.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 21 May 2019 04:03

Gravitar8,

I am also unable to use my mono cart with this turntable. The only mono cart I have is the Denon DL-102, and the SME 3009 Series III tonearm is too low mass for it to sound its best. As this turntable outperforms my Technics SL-1200MK2 in sound quality, I prefer to use it now. Maybe later on when I have the money I will get another tonearm wand and a Sumiko Black Pearl. (Need to find out its compliance first.)