Classical music currently playing.

name that tune
Post Reply
ginniegatrit
long player
long player
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Dec 2011 02:41
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by ginniegatrit » 03 Oct 2015 16:52

I'm a rock'n roll guy but always had a taste for classical music. Maybe its because I saw 2001:A Space Odyssey in 1968 when I was ten years old? It was a surprise that after seeing the movie I came home and found out my grandmother had some Johann Strauss waltz records. And I would get Johann and RIchard Strauss mixed up until I realized they were completely different animals!
I never got into anything exotic till much later on, but over time listened to Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Shostakovitch, Dvorak, Holst, Wagner and others.
At one point I listened to only classical music for six months! And since I'm a bigtime non-fiction reader I bought some books about this "new" music and learned about the composers and the types of ensembles and instruments and the like.
My favourites? Dvorak "New World Symphony". I used to have a CD of this when CD's first came out. It must have been recorded straight from vinyl 'cause you could hear the ticks and pops and the quality was definitely lacking. BUT it was very powerful recording. I don't have it anymore but wish I remembered who recorded it because I haven't heard a version that matches it since. I do have another version on vinyl (from the Family Library of Great Music series) but it isn't as dynamic.

Holst "The Planets" don't have this anymore but am looking for it at the thrift shops.

Richard Strauss "Also Sprach Zarathustra" simply put, one of my favourites!

Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture" the ending outblasts most heavy metal...

Mozart - I forget the specific name, known as "Elvira Madigan" theme from the movie.

Beethoven, all of his symphonies but a fondness for #6.

I'll stop there for now. But I'm listening to these right now:
https://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb1 ... j83rvq.jpg

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 18:08

ginniegatrit wrote:I'm a rock'n roll guy but always had a taste for classical music. Maybe its because I saw 2001:A Space Odyssey in 1968 when I was ten years old?
Movies are a great intro to music in general, and I don't think that rock and classical are mutually exclusive. In fact, and I'm sure I'm not braking any new ground here, there been some ridiculously majestic rock music that has its roots in classical, and rock musicians who started with classical piano lessons! :lol:

Space 20001 =D>



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 18:13

" Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture" the ending outblasts most heavy metal..."

IF you love Rush and classical as I do, you'd probably recognize the sampling of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture from their 2112 album:


C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 19:44

This is an old record I bought form Harmony Hut a million years ago, it seems...it's still in its shrink wrap, Harmony Hut is long gone...
seg.JPG
(378.32 KiB) Downloaded 1320 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 19:47

" The guitar does not play loud, but far." --Andres Segovia
seg2.JPG
(385.46 KiB) Downloaded 1321 times

ginniegatrit
long player
long player
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Dec 2011 02:41
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by ginniegatrit » 03 Oct 2015 20:14

C2H3Cln2 wrote:" Tchaikovsky "1812 Overture" the ending outblasts most heavy metal..."

IF you love Rush and classical as I do, you'd probably recognize the sampling of Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture from their 2112 album:

Hmmm. I have that album but missed the sampling part. Will have a listen.

Dualmaniac
member
member
Posts: 231
Joined: 21 Mar 2014 10:18

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by Dualmaniac » 03 Oct 2015 20:53

I live in a rural area of the heartland of country music. Classical recordings are definitely not popular, and hard to find. Fortunately when I do find them the are really cheap. Occasionally I find good mint albums for a dollar or less. They are also easier to find in a big mixed pile by quickly scanning for the few labels that I prefer. I find that people who bought expensive European imports were more likely to take good care of them. I specifically look for DGG, Philips, and London.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2434
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 03 Oct 2015 21:09

strictly speaking, classical music is only found between (about) 1750 to (about) 1825, and includes Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven, Before that was Baroque, and after was the Romantic period of music. People usually like music more from one period, than others; I prefer the Baroque period, Bach, Purcell, Handel, etc. I also like Romantic, but not much Classical, except Haydn.

I have about 2,000 vinyl records, most or which are classical (the general term), although most of them are Baroque.

I would suggest that if you like one composer in particular, then look for more of that composer and his/her contemporaries, rather than the most popular. Often, you will find you may like less well known pieces more.

One way of getting to know a composer is to listen to their symphonies (if they wrote them). And to contrast one with another. I have collected all the symphonies of a composer, including Beethoven, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch and Mahler, mostly by one conductor/band, but with some choice examples by others.

jake

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by jake » 03 Oct 2015 21:47

Some say classical music is the popular music of 200 years ago, like top 40 rock in 50's radio.

Others say the true story of classical music is the nationalistic composers of the 20th century, Shostakovich, Ravel, Kodaly, Janacek, Villa'Lobos, Takamitchi, Elgar, Bliss,Walton,Prokofiev,Weill, Nielsen,Wilder, Gershwin, Strauss,Wagner, Puccini, etc. Nationalism is the big story, and this music has big heart.
Romain Roland's ESSAYS ON MUSIC posits that the blood in their veins makes composers sound as they do.
Wish it wasn't so, since music is transcendental, and shouldn't reflect the real world, just ideas that exist outside of it; like Chopin, pure poetry of piano, with no boundaries. Music of the Spheres...

ginniegatrit
long player
long player
Posts: 1912
Joined: 24 Dec 2011 02:41
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by ginniegatrit » 03 Oct 2015 22:29

I used to have Shostakovich's "Babi Yar" (Symphony 13, B flat minor). Man, that music was so emotional, especially if you know the background behind it.
I'm thinking the OP means Classical music in its broadest sense? Not just from Haydn to Beethoven?

There are so many movies that spurred me on to search out classical music...


That wonderful chorus of voices in the opera Lakmé -I've heard it in many movies.

Of course 2001:A Space Odyssey... R. Strauss, J. Strauss, the haunting Atmospheres by Ligeti...
Kubrick originally had those pieces just to fill in while the actual original soundtrack would be used for the final cut. Of course he liked them so much that they stayed in.

Who can forget the Ride of the Valkries in Apocalypse Now? Equally as good, though not classical is The Doors "The End" at the beginning of the movie.

Elvira Madigan - Mozart - Piano concerto No 21.

Clockwork Orange - Beethoven, Rossini,... and of course Singing in the Rain!
There's a lot more but these ones come to mind.

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 23:26

Dualmaniac wrote:I live in a rural area of the heartland of country music. Classical recordings are definitely not popular, and hard to find. Fortunately when I do find them the are really cheap. Occasionally I find good mint albums for a dollar or less. They are also easier to find in a big mixed pile by quickly scanning for the few labels that I prefer. I find that people who bought expensive European imports were more likely to take good care of them. I specifically look for DGG, Philips, and London.
You should look also for Deutsche Grammophon and Angel..lables? they produce top-of-the-line recordings also. :)
gramm.jpg
(70.40000000000001 KiB) Downloaded 1310 times
Angel 5.jpg
(206.33 KiB) Downloaded 1316 times

C2H3Cln2
long player
long player
Posts: 1207
Joined: 02 Aug 2015 15:50

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by C2H3Cln2 » 03 Oct 2015 23:37

cats squirrel wrote:strictly speaking, classical music is only found between (about) 1750 to (about) 1825, and includes Mozart, Schubert, and Beethoven, Before that was Baroque, and after was the Romantic period of music. People usually like music more from one period, than others; I prefer the Baroque period, Bach, Purcell, Handel, etc. I also like Romantic, but not much Classical, except Haydn.

I have about 2,000 vinyl records, most or which are classical (the general term), although most of them are Baroque.

I would suggest that if you like one composer in particular, then look for more of that composer and his/her contemporaries, rather than the most popular. Often, you will find you may like less well known pieces more.

One way of getting to know a composer is to listen to their symphonies (if they wrote them). And to contrast one with another. I have collected all the symphonies of a composer, including Beethoven, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Shostakovitch and Mahler, mostly by one conductor/band, but with some choice examples by others.
You're absolutely right. I use Classical in the general meaning of the term. The Baroque period is a favorite. Our local NPR station has "Sunday Baroque" which I tune to every... Sunday Morning. Do the recordings with 'period' instruments grab you at all? I'm lukewarm on that. Please share some of the 2,000 records here... you have captive audience. :)

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2434
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Oct 2015 00:24

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
You're absolutely right. I use Classical in the general meaning of the term. The Baroque period is a favorite. Our local NPR station has "Sunday Baroque" which I tune to every... Sunday Morning. Do the recordings with 'period' instruments grab you at all? I'm lukewarm on that. Please share some of the 2,000 records here... you have captive audience. :)
I think it does make a difference, although I would rather have sympathetic musicians to having the period sound. However, I really don't like Baroque music played with huge orchestras, small is beautiful in this context, and strings without vibrato.

It never ceases to amaze me that Bach can be the root of jazz music. It is possible to look at a Bach or Telemann score, and extemporize while being faithful to the dots, in real time, I used to do it on my flute.

I'll pop some records on here in due course. 8)

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England
Posts: 2434
Joined: 16 Dec 2008 16:13
Location: Glorious Devon, UK

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by cats squirrel » 04 Oct 2015 00:30

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
You should look also for Deutsche Grammophon and Angel..lables? they produce top-of-the-line recordings also. :)
There are lots of good labels for Baroque music, as I think this kind of ensemble is a little easier to record in smaller venues/churches, rather than big bands in big halls/cathedrals.

ps, just got your name, its pvc !

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America
Posts: 20217
Joined: 01 Nov 2013 05:27

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by vinyl master » 04 Oct 2015 00:41

C2H3Cln2 wrote:
ginniegatrit wrote:I'm a rock'n roll guy but always had a taste for classical music. Maybe its because I saw 2001:A Space Odyssey in 1968 when I was ten years old?
Movies are a great intro to music in general, and I don't think that rock and classical are mutually exclusive. In fact, and I'm sure I'm not braking any new ground here, there been some ridiculously majestic rock music that has its roots in classical, and rock musicians who started with classical piano lessons! :lol:

Space 20001 =D>



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's also not forget anything that falls under the term, "prog rock"...Another example of the "mash-up" between classical and rock...Bands like Yes, Gentle Giant, Atomic Rooster, Marillion, early Genesis, Van De Graaf Generator, early Uriah Heep, etc. There are various subtleties between them, but who today can put out an album with a 10-minute or longer song on it, and get away with it? :-k

I know many people who got into classical through listening to these bands, and some who classical nuts who got turned on to rock the same way...
Last edited by vinyl master on 04 Oct 2015 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply