long player
United States of America

Re: Classical music currently playing.

Post by DarthMaul » 10 Jun 2019 00:04

DarthMaul wrote:
09 Jun 2019 22:46
banerjba wrote:
09 Jun 2019 00:31
Good to hear your issues are settling down.
banerjba,

The issues haven't completely gone away, even with the replacement belt. I suspect the motor is starting to have trouble intermittently, as on some occasions the platter doesn't start up on its own, and sometimes I get a slowdown all of a sudden. I will have my uncle check the motor with an ohm-meter to find out if the brushes are getting worn. Same with the replacement motor, which should be better. I do not trust this turntable's original motor, although roughly over 90% of the time it starts without fail. I will be checking the tracking on the parts and will make sure I'm at the house when they get here. I don't think the Thakker belt will completely solve everything.

I am not going to have my uncle and I take the turntable apart without dealing with the replacement motor first. The rubber mount is part of an eBay item containing a motor that doesn't run well, and that motor's wires will get desoldered from it and moved to the replacement after the rubber mount and pulley get put on said motor. If troubles still happen after the motor is replaced or if it's determined to be really good, I will suspect the electronics and will contact ddarch. Alec (Alec124c41) did say ddarch can overhaul the turntable if I need it done.
The motor is starting to have issues again. Stopping use of the turntable until the replacement is installed. The last records I was able to successfully record were the 12 Concerti Grossi Opus 6 by Handel. Holding off most Bach records until I have gotten the motor replaced. I can use the SL-1200 for the Well-Tempered Clavier. The motor has trouble starting with the belt on. Had a sudden slowdown during play, and it was audible.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 15 Jun 2019 02:29

My new Rega still has motor issues as well - it is going back and I will need to get another one.

The table plays fine but the motor is not quiet.

Two records for this evening:

Mahler 4 on those ugly CBS Great Performance reissues from the 1980s - looks like a newspaper on the front cover. George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. Canadian pressing so not great sounding. US pressing always sound better.

Mahler 10 and Walton Partita for Orchestra, also Szell/Cleveland on an old Epic LP. Very interesting music. Good US pressing.
Last edited by banerjba on 15 Jun 2019 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 15 Jun 2019 03:10

banerjba wrote:
15 Jun 2019 02:29
My new Rega still has motor issues as well - it is going back and I will need to get another one.

Mahler 4 on those ugly CBS Great Performance reissues from the 1980s - looks like a newspaper on the front cover. George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra. Canadian pressing so not great sounding. US pressing always sound better.

Mahler 10 and Walton Partita for Orchestra, also Shell/Cleveland on an old Epic LP. Very interesting music. Good US pressing.
Speaking of my Thorens turntable, I have an update. The old motor had grinding issues and had worn bearings, so it needed replacement due to having problems starting at times. On Wednesday I opened up my turntable to get the motor out. That required me to remove the nuts from the plinth's underside, as well as remove the motor from the PCB and unscrew the rectangular plate. I was able to get the motor out when I lifted the plinth. I then put the rest of the turntable assembly back together including the plinth's nuts and washers. New foam inserts for the springs were bought, since one of them apparently broke during this session since the turntable was sitting on its front. Haven't checked the other two, but they might be fine. Ended up gluing the broken foam back together and widened the hole so the plastic cup would slide through it easily.

Yesterday my co-worker Steven soldered the wires from the motor to my replacement motor which sat stored in my room since April. The old motor is now sitting in my room, disconnected and no longer being used. Yesterday afternoon I opened my turntable back up, removed the nuts again, and reinstalled the motor. It took an effort to get the rectangular plate into position to screw it in place after I plugged the motor into the PCB. Steven warned me about one of the tabs not being fully secure on the bottom of the tachometer, and pushed it in to secure it. He told me to be patient and to take it slow so that it doesn't come loose. During reassembly, it did not come loose, thankfully. The replacement rubber mount does not interfere with the pulley and is flat against the motor.

When I first tested it, the platter spun a little too fast. I was thinking at first it might be the motor and wanted to try using the other spare motor. I needed the pulley from the old motor, and the old rubber mount. Previous methods always resulted in failure to get the pulley off, so I resorted to using my mom's hair dryer and a small screwdriver from below. Little did I realize that the pulley would gradually slide off with pressure from below when I did this. Upon trying to fix the warping on the old rubber mount, it broke at the top, forcing me to at first cut away the top end. But before I could attempt to use the second spare motor, a clip on the tachometer (orange wire still attached) broke off, resulting in me throwing away the old mount and that motor. However, I checked the pulley against the one that was on the motor that went into the turntable, and noticed that the area where the belt rides was smaller on the old one.

I made a decision then to use my mom's hairdryer to get the second pulley off, and put the original one on it. Viola. Correct speeds. The turntable gets up to speed easily with the Thakker belt, and the motor always gets it to the point where the strobe nearly doesn't move or doesn't move if the fine speed knob is in a certain position. It doesn't seem like the motor has the problems the old one did. And the replacement motor has no problems starting.

This morning before I went to work, I ran a half-hour test on it. It never slowed down during operation, but a slight speed increase took place. This afternoon when I checked it it suddenly started squealing without the belt on. Noticed the pulley was wobbling visibly. Using my mom's hairdryer, I thought to pull it off with my largest small screwdriver, and put it in a position where the outer ring was raised where the screwdriver went. However, this time the pulley didn't get hot enough to be budged upwards, and that raised section got pushed down, evening the pulley out more. The squealing stopped apparently after that. This motor isn't supposed to squeal, since it's in better shape than the old motor was. I did not apply any oil to it aside from two drops of 3-in-1 applied before it had the wires soldered to it. Tonight when I checked it, it ran quietly even without the belt. With just the subplatter and the Thakker belt, I can't even hear the motor at 33rpm.

Since I know this motor should be good, nothing should go wrong with the turntable speed unless there's a fault with the electronics somewhere. Fingers crossed. A new synthetic oil was used on the subplatter last night. Hoping the slowdowns don't take place with the replacement motor. They didn't happen back when the old motor was working okay.

Earlier before this motor was installed, I noticed it was able to run backwards just as easily as forwards, and with just one battery was silent regardless. The old motor, it has trouble running backwards and does it more slowly. I might want to check both the other motors with pulleys on them to see how they run. The spare pulley is a good candidate, since I won't attempt to remove the old pulley again. (I need it.) It will help determine how good the second spare motor is, but unless I can get that clip fixed in place where it won't come out, the motor cannot be used in the future. Testing it in the turntable is out of the question. I am not removing the motor that's in there. My old motor was made in 1980, the second replacement is from 1979, and the one in the turntable now is from 1978. That motor must be a first generation TD126 MK III motor!

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 16 Jun 2019 01:51

DarthMaul wrote:
15 Jun 2019 03:10
banerjba wrote:
15 Jun 2019 02:29

Mahler 10 and Walton Partita for Orchestra, also Shell/Cleveland on an old Epic LP. Very interesting music. Good US pressing.
Speaking of my Thorens turntable, I have an update. The old motor had grinding issues and had worn bearings, so it needed replacement due to having problems starting at times. On Wednesday I opened up my turntable to get the motor out. That required me to remove the nuts from the plinth's underside, as well as remove the motor from the PCB and unscrew the rectangular plate. I was able to get the motor out when I lifted the plinth. I then put the rest of the turntable assembly back together including the plinth's nuts and washers. New foam inserts for the springs were bought, since one of them apparently broke during this session since the turntable was sitting on its front. Haven't checked the other two, but they might be fine. Ended up gluing the broken foam back together and widened the hole so the plastic cup would slide through it easily.

Yesterday my co-worker Steven soldered the wires from the motor to my replacement motor which sat stored in my room since April. The old motor is now sitting in my room, disconnected and no longer being used. Yesterday afternoon I opened my turntable back up, removed the nuts again, and reinstalled the motor. It took an effort to get the rectangular plate into position to screw it in place after I plugged the motor into the PCB. Steven warned me about one of the tabs not being fully secure on the bottom of the tachometer, and pushed it in to secure it. He told me to be patient and to take it slow so that it doesn't come loose. During reassembly, it did not come loose, thankfully. The replacement rubber mount does not interfere with the pulley and is flat against the motor.

When I first tested it, the platter spun a little too fast. I was thinking at first it might be the motor and wanted to try using the other spare motor. I needed the pulley from the old motor, and the old rubber mount. Previous methods always resulted in failure to get the pulley off, so I resorted to using my mom's hair dryer and a small screwdriver from below. Little did I realize that the pulley would gradually slide off with pressure from below when I did this. Upon trying to fix the warping on the old rubber mount, it broke at the top, forcing me to at first cut away the top end. But before I could attempt to use the second spare motor, a clip on the tachometer (orange wire still attached) broke off, resulting in me throwing away the old mount and that motor. However, I checked the pulley against the one that was on the motor that went into the turntable, and noticed that the area where the belt rides was smaller on the old one.

I made a decision then to use my mom's hairdryer to get the second pulley off, and put the original one on it. Viola. Correct speeds. The turntable gets up to speed easily with the Thakker belt, and the motor always gets it to the point where the strobe nearly doesn't move or doesn't move if the fine speed knob is in a certain position. It doesn't seem like the motor has the problems the old one did. And the replacement motor has no problems starting.

This morning before I went to work, I ran a half-hour test on it. It never slowed down during operation, but a slight speed increase took place. This afternoon when I checked it it suddenly started squealing without the belt on. Noticed the pulley was wobbling visibly. Using my mom's hairdryer, I thought to pull it off with my largest small screwdriver, and put it in a position where the outer ring was raised where the screwdriver went. However, this time the pulley didn't get hot enough to be budged upwards, and that raised section got pushed down, evening the pulley out more. The squealing stopped apparently after that. This motor isn't supposed to squeal, since it's in better shape than the old motor was. I did not apply any oil to it aside from two drops of 3-in-1 applied before it had the wires soldered to it. Tonight when I checked it, it ran quietly even without the belt. With just the subplatter and the Thakker belt, I can't even hear the motor at 33rpm.

Since I know this motor should be good, nothing should go wrong with the turntable speed unless there's a fault with the electronics somewhere. Fingers crossed. A new synthetic oil was used on the subplatter last night. Hoping the slowdowns don't take place with the replacement motor. They didn't happen back when the old motor was working okay.

Earlier before this motor was installed, I noticed it was able to run backwards just as easily as forwards, and with just one battery was silent regardless. The old motor, it has trouble running backwards and does it more slowly. I might want to check both the other motors with pulleys on them to see how they run. The spare pulley is a good candidate, since I won't attempt to remove the old pulley again. (I need it.) It will help determine how good the second spare motor is, but unless I can get that clip fixed in place where it won't come out, the motor cannot be used in the future. Testing it in the turntable is out of the question. I am not removing the motor that's in there. My old motor was made in 1980, the second replacement is from 1979, and the one in the turntable now is from 1978. That motor must be a first generation TD126 MK III motor!
Last night I tested the old motor with a battery and put my spare pulley on it. Guess what? It exhibited the same problems it had when it was in the turntable! The motor was at fault for sure.

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 16 Jun 2019 03:48

I am back to my old table as the Rega has gone back for now.

Now back to the music. Tonight is not strictly classical even though we started with Mahler 10 and Mozart vocal pieces.

It is now a Record Store Day release from a year or two ago. A 45 rpm dark maroon/brown lp of Frank Zappa's Lumpy Gravy featuring the Abnuceals Emuuka Electric Symphony Orchestra. A bit of weird fun and very creative from the late great rock musician.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 17 Jun 2019 00:51

Relistening to this album set first. The replacement motor is the reason. Not taking chances with box sets previously recorded having issues with the digitized files.
IMG_3600.jpg
(142.38 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 17 Jun 2019 05:55

It is Faure for me tonight.

A mid 1980s LP by Sir Neville and the Academy. Includes the famous Pavane, Masques et Bergamasques and the Suite from Peleas and Melisande. Faure wrote so much good music!

My turntable issues are sorted. The Rega is gone and I brought the Clearaudio back from the other system. The German table is overkill for my tiny listening room and was a much better fit in the bigger room but oh well. It does sound glorious.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Jun 2019 00:02

Continuing last night's box set. Only one record left in it. There wasn't enough time for it last night. Filled the subplatter's well with more oil. At first I put too much (subplatter would not go in), and I used two q-tips to get the oil out. That resulted in the subplatter springing up, so I wiped it off. It then went all the way in. Seemed to result in the speed getting to the optimal levels faster. The motor really doesn't have much torque.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Jun 2019 03:19

New Handel album. Many of these pieces were on my parents' Music for the Royal Fireworks CD, by the same ensemble and conductor. This album, and three others, have all the tracks from that disc.
IMG_3606.jpg
(136.46 KiB) Downloaded 29 times

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Jun 2019 02:21

Oldest of my Bach record sets. These will take more than one day to get through since I started so late in the evening. Six records total. Using my 1 mil stylus. The stereo stylus isn't good for these. Waited for the speed to stabilize. Tried plugging the turntable into an extension cord coming from a power strip that has nothing else plugged into it, rather than my amplifier's plug. This is a replacement copy of the box set. My old one has noise issues.
IMG_3608.jpg
(112.72 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

banerjba
long player
long player

Post by banerjba » 19 Jun 2019 03:34

Wow - that is an old one. Is that an LP or 78? What year would that be from?

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Jun 2019 03:49

banerjba wrote:
19 Jun 2019 03:34
Wow - that is an old one. Is that an LP or 78? What year would that be from?
Mono LP box set from 1958. 6 records in the box. These need a mono LP stylus to sound good. The box still has its hinge intact. With a smaller stylus, I get more crackle and potentially more noise plus a lower volume level.

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 19 Jun 2019 13:49

Ah the infamous (famous?) DMM digital LP.... this week I was fortunate enough to come across a small collection of them and I am enjoying first time (for me) listens starting with this one. After a good cleaning- this LP sounds BLACK as soot and very quick and exciting. Did I mention I am a fan of the DMM processed LP? Did you know (I posted about CED "movies on viny record" disc technology here on the forum a few weeks back https://www.thesilo.ca/ced-videodiscs-m ... records-2/) that DMM was essentially the RCA invented CED process applied to the audio LP? Pretty cool stuff! =D>
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... -front.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... loseup.jpg
https://www.thesilo.ca/wp-content/uploa ... sleeve.jpg

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 19 Jun 2019 13:50

Check out that "Made in WEST Germany" :)

Gravitar8
Canada

Post by Gravitar8 » 19 Jun 2019 13:52

Nice Digital LP- what year was this pressed and how does it sound?
DarthMaul wrote:
18 Jun 2019 03:19
New Handel album. Many of these pieces were on my parents' Music for the Royal Fireworks CD, by the same ensemble and conductor. This album, and three others, have all the tracks from that disc.

IMG_3606.jpg