Recordios

name that tune
Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Re: Recordios

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 29 Jul 2019 20:25

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Wasn't the sun recordings of good sound, unlike most of these homemade records?

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Jul 2019 20:45

The gear that Sam Phillips had early on at Sun was on the primitive side even for the early 50's, IIRC, he used an ancient radio board at first. But it would've still been far better than any home recording disc machine made for John Q. Public, or one of those recording booths they had in department stores. Phillips had good Ampex tape machines by about 1954, but early on I think he recorded direct to disc. The first Elvis record was probably a one-off, direct to disc. It was made in 1953.

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 30 Jul 2019 00:52

Yeah, that's what I thought. Those homemade ones are really something else though!!

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 30 Jul 2019 03:25

Big B5515 wrote:
07 Jul 2015 05:39
vinyl master wrote:Hey, Big B...I'd love to see a picture of it sometime! Maybe it would generate some interest?
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... &mode=view
Also has a few other issues such as weak (unsuccessfully rebuilt) playback cartridge, mouse eaten original speaker cone and antenna coil, and a few chips on cabinet veneer. I did get the radio working fairly well though.
Just noticing that this thread was still active, I thought I'd quote myself and mention that this item has unfortuneately since gone MIA from my collection without my knowing, and it's whereabouts are still unknown...

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 30 Jul 2019 16:42

Last night I came a cross of someone playing a recordio disck from some speech from a high school. These kinds of recordings just makes me wonder who the people/ person was that were recording it, and what happened to them, and also what year, or years did it get recorded, and why did the record just get forgotten/ tossed?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 02 Aug 2019 21:16

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jul 2015 07:49
...snippage...
To bring this into the modern era, I do know that Jack White has a make-your-own-recording booth at his Third Man Records complex...I don't know if he uses blanks like this, but it's a fascinating concept...Neil Young recorded an album in the booth, too...Take a look at this...
Was I tempted to try that recording booth at TMR. Have you V_M ?

Fred

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 Aug 2019 07:06

fscl wrote:
02 Aug 2019 21:16
vinyl master wrote:
05 Jul 2015 07:49
...snippage...
To bring this into the modern era, I do know that Jack White has a make-your-own-recording booth at his Third Man Records complex...I don't know if he uses blanks like this, but it's a fascinating concept...Neil Young recorded an album in the booth, too...Take a look at this...
Was I tempted to try that recording booth at TMR. Have you V_M ?

Fred
Not yet, but it's a fascinating piece of history nonetheless! =D>

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 05 Aug 2019 16:19

Last night I came a cross of someone playing a recordio disck from some speech from a high school. These kinds of recordings just makes me wonder who the people/ person was that were recording it, and what happened to them, and also what year, or years did it get recorded, and why did the record just get forgotten/ tossed?