Recordios

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Recordios

Post by vinyl master » 05 Jul 2015 07:49

I thought I would mention this on a separate thread, but as I was searching my friend's barn recently, I came upon a collection of these recordios...Some are blank, and some may have recordings on them...And I just love the mystery of these things...Take a look at what I'm dealing with...

Not the only ones in my collection now, as I also have ones like these...

Remember, too, that Elvis' first record was one he made of "My Happiness" for his mother, Gladys...He probably recorded it on something like one of these, too...

Do any of you guys collect these odd things? And secondly, have any of you ever made a home recording on one of these, or own a recordio machine? I'm curious if anyone else out there digs this stuff... :-k

To bring this into the modern era, I do know that Jack White has a make-your-own-recording booth at his Third Man Records complex...I don't know if he uses blanks like this, but it's a fascinating concept...Neil Young recorded an album in the booth, too...Take a look at this...

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Recordios

Post by Tinkaroo » 05 Jul 2015 10:26

I remember when I was young they had a booth like that at our local arcade, along with pin-ball machines, air guns and other fun stuff. :mrgreen:

Across the road from there they had two amazing record shops which were huge and competed against each other. I wish some of today's newbies could have seen them. One of them covered several floors. 8)

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 05 Jul 2015 14:02

I remember seeing a thread with a picture of one of those discs from Tondryck's Appliance Shops before and must admit I was intrigued. I'd really love to see how this thread plays out. I have never been anywhere where even a hint of something like this was available. It may have been there but I just didn't know it, but I doubt that. I spent most of my time growing up out in the suburbs (you know, those place of slow cultural death with chemical slathered lawns) instead of a city where something like this would have been far more likely to exist.

Now that you have these discs in your sights on these things (or did your friend give them to you?) what will be done with them? Are you going to sit around and look at them and utter profound things like, "Dang! Looka them thar thangs!" or will you try to find a way to use at least one or two of them?

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 05 Jul 2015 16:38

Hi Vinyl master,

Back in the mid '50s I worked in a radio- TV repair shop. Someone brought in a radio / phono console with a 78 changer which would also cut records. The changer did not work. Then as now repairing changers was daunting to me. I had a working (Webcor I believe) 78 changer. I told the guy I didn't feel competent to fix his changer but if he didn't care about cutting records I swap it for mine and install it in his console. He was good with that, so I got a 78 RPM record cutter.

I took it home and played with it. Blanks were readily available then. I managed to record a copy of Gogi Grant singing The Wayward Wind off of KSFO.(San Francisco) I many years ago gave away the disc cutter but the record may still be squirreled away, somewhere.

Phil

vinyl master wrote:I thought I would mention this on a separate thread, but as I was searching my friend's barn recently, I came upon a collection of these recordios...Some are blank, and some may have recordings on them...And I just love the mystery of these things...Take a look at what I'm dealing with...

Not the only ones in my collection now, as I also have ones like these...

Remember, too, that Elvis' first record was one he made of "My Happiness" for his mother, Gladys...He probably recorded it on something like one of these, too...

Do any of you guys collect these odd things? And secondly, have any of you ever made a home recording on one of these, or own a recordio machine? I'm curious if anyone else out there digs this stuff... :-k

To bring this into the modern era, I do know that Jack White has a make-your-own-recording booth at his Third Man Records complex...I don't know if he uses blanks like this, but it's a fascinating concept...Neil Young recorded an album in the booth, too...Take a look at this...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jul 2015 01:02

MonkeyBoy wrote:I remember seeing a thread with a picture of one of those discs from Tondryck's Appliance Shops before and must admit I was intrigued.
It was probably me, as I have posted that picture before...
MonkeyBoy wrote:Now that you have these discs in your sights on these things (or did your friend give them to you?) what will be done with them? Are you going to sit around and look at them and utter profound things like, "Dang! Looka them thar thangs!" or will you try to find a way to use at least one or two of them?
I was actually curious if any of you guys have an antique recordio machine of your own...I could possibly part out a few of the extras to anyone who needs them, or collects these...Remember that these were in the barn, and do need some cleaning, but they could be fun for anyone who does any home recording...There is also an upcoming local outdoor antique show coming soon, and I hope to be there...I told many of the vendors last time that I was on the hunt for good receivers and turntables, so we'll have to see what pops up...Maybe someone there may be acquainted with these antique machines, especially Victrola connoisseurs, and may be interested in the records, too...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 06 Jul 2015 02:49

I do have an old Silvertone "recordio" machine, but unfortunately, it has a crystal cutterhead that no longer works. I have all but forgotten about fixing it and was considering passing it along to someone more interested as well.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jul 2015 05:35

Hey, Big B...I'd love to see a picture of it sometime! Maybe it would generate some interest?

jake

Post by jake » 06 Jul 2015 16:00

I would play every one of those records.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Jul 2015 21:08

jake wrote:I would play every one of those records.
I plan to do that, Jake, as even the blanks may not actually BE blank...Could be a surprise or two on them...

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 07 Jul 2015 05:39

vinyl master wrote:Hey, Big B...I'd love to see a picture of it sometime! Maybe it would generate some interest?
SANY0063a.jpg
(261.52 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
SANY0064a.jpg
(180.89 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Also has a few other issues such as weak (unsuccessfully rebuilt) playback cartridge, mouse eaten original speaker cone and antenna coil, and a few chips on cabinet veneer. I did get the radio working fairly well though.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 07 Jul 2015 05:57

vinyl master wrote:
jake wrote:I would play every one of those records.
I plan to do that, Jake, as even the blanks may not actually BE blank...Could be a surprise or two on them...
A blank disc should have no grooves as cutting arm is gear driven (on my machine anyway).

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jul 2015 06:46

That machine is super-cool, Big B! I'm curious now, as people could record off the radio, if any rare radio broadcasts were ever recorded on any of these, as I collect those kinds of things, too...I'll have to look at the grooves...Many of these are labeled as to what's on them, but the unlabeled discs WITH grooves may be a bit more challenging...By the way, if you ever get her fixed, and need a few blanks to play around with, let me know...

The Gryphon

Post by The Gryphon » 07 Jul 2015 08:32

These are facinating machines and give a glimpse into a bygone world. It is always worth looking at these machines and their recordings as there are a few legendary recordings.In the late 50s the Beatles used one of these machines to record several tracks

http://www.beatlesource.com/bs/ao-smrtime.html

There were thought to be several copies .....it is also thought that although one copy is known about there maybe other still around somewhere in Europe ......they would be a wonderful find if ever uncovered !

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 29 Jul 2019 16:37

Hmmmm, I thought I had posted in this topic, but I guess not.
I have a 78 the size of a 45 from some guy that was in WW II and he was recording a letter home. I think it was done in 1941, I think? I had gotten it with a platter box from off of ebay.

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Post by Bob Dillon » 29 Jul 2019 18:30

vinyl master wrote:
05 Jul 2015 07:49

Was cut at Sam Phillips' Sun Studio in Memphis. Professional recording, 78 rpm acetate. Not some crummy cardboard disc. Elvis wanted the best for his ol' ma.