Off center records driving me crazy!

name that tune
BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Off center records driving me crazy!!

Post by BMRR » 27 Jan 2017 13:33

I purchased a 1958 Frank Sinatra 7" 45 on eBay last month, and it might be the most off-center record I own. It's completely unlistenable. It sounds like someone is moving the pitch fader up and down constantly. And this is from Capitol Records in the late '50s, mind you. #-o [-X

I also have an original 1958 mono pressing of Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me" which is off-center, but the pitch variation is only annoying on the innermost tracks. I have a late '60s or early '70s reissue of the same album and that one is more off-center than the original.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have records from the likes of K-tel and various fly-by-night el-cheapo abels that are absolutely perfectly centered and sound fantastic. You just never know...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 27 Jan 2017 14:00

BMRR wrote:I purchased a 1958 Frank Sinatra 7" 45 on eBay last month, and it might be the most off-center record I own. It's completely unlistenable. It sounds like someone is moving the pitch fader up and down constantly. And this is from Capitol Records in the late '50s, mind you. #-o [-X

I also have an original 1958 mono pressing of Sinatra's "Come Fly With Me" which is off-center, but the pitch variation is only annoying on the innermost tracks. I have a late '60s or early '70s reissue of the same album and that one is more off-center than the original.

At the other end of the spectrum, I have records from the likes of K-tel and various fly-by-night el-cheapo abels that are absolutely perfectly centered and sound fantastic. You just never know...
45's (with large center holes) are the easiest to correct since they do not have to be played with an adapter and can be centered off spindle center in the direction of off centeredness, like counter steering into a skid.... :wink: It just takes a bit more than just plopping the 45 on the platter....... :-k :-k

Catch this post, this off center adapter may not be enough in your case but the principle remains the same:
pcourtney wrote:very clever

https://youtu.be/9ZlUO0j5mQw
Was searching for a previous topic of mine posted while listening to an off center Stevie Wonder Talking Book, quite amusing, with VEers wondering if I was on some strong pharms, pretty sure it's been obfuscated ....... :wink:

A previous off center topic with more illustrations of centering off center LPs.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=52641

You can always search for a Nak and add it to the collection, even then I don't think it can center 45s....... :?:

Happy sea sick soundings....... :lol:

Fred

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 27 Jan 2017 16:11

We are a determined bunch!
These puppies were REALLY a problem when all I had was a static spindle!
If I bought new, they went right back to the store. remember when I picked up "Excitable Boy". "Lawyers, Guns and Money" was SO bad!
The shop keep and I went through 5 copies to get a decent one.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 27 Jan 2017 16:13

Oh, by the way, I won't take a turntable unless the spindle rotates...

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 29 Jan 2017 19:12

DasherF wrote:Oh, by the way, I won't take a turntable unless the spindle rotates...
:-k :-k :-k :-k

Pictures please in reference to off center play and elimination of wow...... :?: :shock:

Fred and mentally challenged on this one..... :-s Unless of course you mean you've got a Nak...... :shock: :shock: In that case, videos of yours please...... [-o<

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 02 Feb 2017 15:57

BMRR wrote: At the other end of the spectrum, I have records from the likes of K-tel and various fly-by-night el-cheapo abels that are absolutely perfectly centered and sound fantastic. You just never know...
They say this in the fine print..."Xxx music products are manufactured by the major suppliers to the music industry..."

It doesn't matter whether it's big name label or discount compiler label, they are all susceptible to the same joys and shortcomings inherent in the medium. I have the off-centers and ground up army jeeps in the grooves to prove it. This is mass production. A certain number of imperfections sneaking out the door is deemed acceptable, because it's cheaper to replace them than to demand 100% quality when things are made and packaged. There is the fact that machines, like people, will have an occasional bad day.

webkrawler

Re: Off center records driving me crazy!

Post by webkrawler » 25 Oct 2018 17:16

For 45s (7") I have a special adapter that fixes offcenter records (Echotone).

For LPs sometimes I use a screw driver (like a drill) and widen the center hole then put the record on the
turntable and now I can center the hole around the spindle by eye. Works most times.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 03 Dec 2018 16:39

my experience has been with one side not pressed centered. I have a few of these where one side is perfect, the flip side is off centered or out of round. You can tell out of round by looking at the space of the lead in grooves. They'll be wider on the parigee and narrow on the apogee, different from off centered. The label is perfect usually though. I think centers are drilled ok because both sides don't do this. Strange how this defect can happen.

patient_ot

Post by patient_ot » 03 Dec 2018 20:38

bhuston wrote:
03 Dec 2018 16:39
my experience has been with one side not pressed centered. I have a few of these where one side is perfect, the flip side is off centered or out of round. You can tell out of round by looking at the space of the lead in grooves. They'll be wider on the parigee and narrow on the apogee, different from off centered. The label is perfect usually though. I think centers are drilled ok because both sides don't do this. Strange how this defect can happen.
IIRC (to paraphrase a plant mgr) this happens because the stampers are either not aligned right on the presses or they become misaligned while the presses are pumping out records. In rare cases (or not so rare depending on the plant), the stamper itself may be punched off center. In that case the entire run will be off-center.

Really frustrating for the record buyer.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 03 Dec 2018 20:44

One example I question the stamper being bad is Warren Zevon's Excitable Boy... I have gone through so many rebuys and I still don't have the "perfect" one.
Joe Walsh's Barnstorm is another.

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 06 Dec 2018 00:08

I got new reissue David Bowie... Station to Station. Brand new....warped and off-center hole. I don't think I have EVER had that occur and I was buying vinyl in 1974. F that noise! Twenty or thirty bucks for new record I will NOT put up with that amateur crap. Back it goes. American manufacturing...haha....not much better than the Chinese.

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 06 Dec 2018 01:58

Aaaand
.......I just got the replacement disc....not too bad on spindle hole....bit uneven but not really out of center. But .. WARPED! WTF? This is on the Bowie label...idk what that means....somebody bought the rights to his name in order to make crappy records?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Dec 2018 02:58

This is all simply the difference between building a demand and filling a demand. In the glory days of vinyl, everyone in the chain had a lot more focus on the quality of the product such that they could increase their market share and be competitive in the market. Too many commercial entities today are simply pumping out product so that they can be part of the consumer driven "must have" market that exists today. There is a lot of participation in the current rebirth of vinyl, but not nearly enough development and focus on forwarding and perpetuating the market. Hence, produce a lot of iffy product, push it out there, and get a slice of the pie before it goes away. I think it is here to stay, personally, but as always, there are a lot of slime ball entrepeneurs simply taking advantage of the popularity. Sadly, a lot of customers will have to deal with the disillusionment that comes from this kind of business model. Caveat emptor! [-X

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 06 Dec 2018 04:06

That was 180 gram vinyl too...which is a bunch if BS if you ask me. It's thick..and it's warped.

It seems that this is not just capitalizing on the Pet Rock syndrome. Remember that from the 70s?

But if the Bowie label is making crappy prints...that 1). Someone who owns the Bowie estate might not be happy and 2) the guys on discogs and elsewhere selling that label (and I'm just using this as an example) will get sick of customers returning 75% of the product and tell the supplier...no.more, thanks very much.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 06 Dec 2018 12:54

Down the heavy gram alley, I know, get yer own topic, those heavy remasters seem to be a lot of junk at times in general, be it off center or noisy vinyl. A sheer disappointment. I 'm afraid to buy anything new.