Your favorite new discovery!

name that tune
TudorTurtle
United States of America

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Post by TudorTurtle » 22 Jan 2016 14:38

Spoon - They Want My Soul
Issued in 2014, and one of my favorites from the last 2 years.

Crazy Legs
United States of America

Post by Crazy Legs » 28 Jan 2016 19:42

I just discovered this guy from the Greenwich Village folk-rock scene in the 50's & 60's - Fred Neil. His first album Bleeker & McDougal is fantastic. Bluesy, folksy, countrified in places. Dude's voice is amazing. He can bring it down low.

Also, The Modern Lovers. Jonathon Richmond's band. VU inspired garage rock.

Lastly, these guys snuck past me growing up. This album is insanely good. imo.

T.O.S.

Post by T.O.S. » 09 Feb 2016 21:27

Just discovered these days a band that I found on the net with huge surprise .Camel , the Andrew Latimer's band !I came to the party a bit late :D But better than never ! If there still is someone who doesn't know them , here it is :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8sNOPB ... dY&index=1

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Apr 2016 01:46

OK, new discovery time again...I recently found out about these guys just the other day...If you like Steely Dan (and I know the Dan has it's fans out there), you're gonna dig these cats!

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you Monkey House!

That last song was actually written by Donald Fagen himself...Greg Phillinganes recorded it back in 1985, too...

On another note, if you guys like taut melodies, tight instrumentation and jazzy chords, but see it lacking in today's modern music, you just haven't heard Tim Akers & The Smoking Section! Some of the best session guys in Nashville, too! Check these out...

Listen to The Bottom 40 Band, too!

I get the feeling they took a little inspiration from these young cats! I don't know if I mentioned them, but Dirty Loops are the real deal! 8)

I'm reminded of this girl, too...Remember the name Gabrielle Walter-Clay...She's going places!

And this...

Have you ever seen a basswoman like Alissia here?

For anyone who doesn't think musicianship and complex arrangements are existent today...These videos prove otherwise!

I also get the feeling that there are a lot of unknown musical collectives out there that can play their instruments, but have almost no exposure...Maybe I've done a small part in helping a few of them here!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 08 Apr 2016 05:39

Oh man! I was looking for something else, and I came across this deep cat...And listen up, BMRR, he's from Portland, ME! If you dig your soul from Otis Redding, David Ruffin, Marvin Gaye and the smooth R&B sounds of the 60's and 70's, have I found a discovery for you, and I'm really digging this vibe now!

Lady and Gentlemen Engineers, may I present to you...Nigel Hall!

Take a listen to the man...Sounds like honey going down...Transport yourselves back, my friends! 8)

Hey, anyone who can do Tears For Fears like this gets an A in my book...

Or Stevie, for that matter...

The album's on vinyl, too, people! :mrgreen:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 03 May 2016 00:13

Being that I mentioned Nigel Hall, I'm not sure if I mentioned these guys, as well...

I just love this kind of stuff!! 8)

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you...LETTUCE!

I am hooked on their psycho-funky sound!

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 May 2016 23:09

In case you missed it, if you really want to see a master at work, check this out...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 May 2016 03:26

Who here likes The Style Council? All of our Brit friends should pay attention then, as I recently discovered a new BRITISH band during my online travels...Imagine Peter Weller, but on funky steroids...Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you NEW STREET ADVENTURE!

I don't know about you, but I'm digging this stuff! 8)

And coincidentally, in discovering NSA, these guys came up on my radar...

These are NEW artists, by the way, despite what their sound belies...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Jun 2016 06:52

OK, guys...Do any of you like the music of the 80's? DO YOU REALLY LIKE THE MUSIC OF THE 80's? How about British new wave and dance music? Well, I have a find for you! This totally sounds like a lost 80's mixtape, by the way, in a good way...A few months back, a movie about British ski legend Eddie "The Eagle" came out...The soundtrack to the film features ALL NEW RECORDINGS by the following acts...
Holly Johnson of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Howard Jones, Marc Almond of Soft Cell
Tony Hadley of Spandau Ballet, Midge Ure of Ultravox, Nik Kershaw, ABC, Kim Wilde, Andy Bell of Erasure, Go West, Heaven 17, Paul Young, and OMD (Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark)...and produced by Take That's Gary Barlow! Here, take a listen to this and see if it doesn't bring you back...Plus, Hugh Jackman, one of the film's stars, sings on the OMD track!

This may be my favorite new soundtrack, too! 8)

If you add in these songs, it's been an interesting year for 80's comebacks... :-k

You could also count this song from a couple years back...

They were also featured back in November on an album called "80's Recovered" ( https://www.discogs.com/Various-80s-ReC ... se/7501022 ) singing a Dylan tune...

And then there's this song from a very popular 80's group (Still love "Colour By Numbers" and "Kissing To Be Clever", but I don't know how I feel about this yet...)!

Boy, where's Duran Duran and The Human League when you need them??? :-k

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 18 Jun 2016 08:19

I played this again last night and I still find it stunning.

Applewood Road - Applewood Road

Analogue recording!

Just buy it! :D

jives11
long player
long player

Post by jives11 » 18 Jun 2016 08:54

On Wednesday I saw "Frost*" at Sub89 in Reading, a warm up show for a UK tour. I was completely knocked out. They are described as Prog, but this is a kind heavily influenced by 80's synth and vocal styles, yes I can sometimes hear influences from Tony Banks in there, but its also about 80's power pop, with complex vocal harmonies . Fantastic musicians

NATHAN KING Bass guitar

JOHN MITCHELL Guitars, Vocals

CRAIG BLUNDELL Drums & Percussion

JEM GODFREY Keyboards, Vocals, Production

I snatched up up their new Album "Falling Satellites" on vinyl at the show and been playing it since

http://frost.life/

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Jun 2016 07:29

Speaking of 80's "comebacks", I never thought I would see the day when Cyndi would be singing COUNTRY...

ORRR...Rick singing GOSPEL...

But THAT day is here, my friends!

At least, it isn't David Lee Roth trying to do BLUEGRASS! :lol:

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 19 Jun 2016 07:54

Cyndie Lauper has grown and gone on to be a great singer, songwriter and producer. (never thought I would write that either)

Rick Astley has also got his first number 1 album (in UK) for almost 30 years.

To quote John Lennon 'Strange times indeed'

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Jun 2016 03:57

OK, first off I want to thank Fred for introducing (or should I say reintroducing) me to the voice that is the lovely and talented, soulful and funky Judith Hill! She collaborated with Prince often in the last few months of his life...This woman has been on "The Voice"...She worked with Michael Jackson...She was featured in the film, "20 Feet From Stardom"...and Prince produced and played on her debut solo album...

And so, I will do my part in presenting her to the world and everyone else who hasn't heard her already...Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you...the incredibly talented and out-of-this-world wickedly soulful MS. JUDITH HILL!!

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 19 Jul 2016 23:58

Live from Darryl's House.Darryl Hall has guest musicians over to his studio and they cover some of the guest's hit songs and some of Darryl's too.They break the songs down,decide who gonna play or sing which parts and give backstory of them too.Just saw the episodes with Kenny Loggins and Cheap Trick.Very cool, my wife even likes it.