Your favorite new discovery!

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Post by vinyl master » 24 Oct 2019 05:20

OK, another YouTube sensation, but she's blowing up...In case, any of you guys haven't heard of YEBBA (Abbey spelled backwards) yet, you need to get up to speed! =D>

It all started here...

Ed Sheeran caught wind of her...and now she's blowing up the Internet and honestly, the world... :shock:

Be prepared to hear her name a lot in the coming months... :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 24 Oct 2019 05:51

Oh, and by the way, if any of you guys wanna hear some classic country in the vein of George Jones and Charley Pride, I think you should not overlook Tony Jackson's voice here...

I think Possum is smiling!

He even does a great version of James Taylor's "Country Road"...

The Opry loves him, too...

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 26 Oct 2019 13:10

vinyl master wrote:
11 Sep 2019 04:06
Of course, her choice of record player leaves a bit to be desired, but other than that... 8-[
Seems to me the record is way worse than the record player. :lol:

After all, that is the kind most of us started with, I would think. And my records survived just fine. The problem is more one of how one takes care of the albums and changes the needle when needed...

Anyway, another recent discovery of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN7o_fA ... g&index=14

Really enjoyed the music but I also like the story of Hayley Williams (the singer) being offered a recording contract as a solo artist which she refused so as not to leave the rest of the band behind...

Then, you've got to love the name of the label. Fueled by Ramen? Wow, what artist out there in North America has not been fueled by Ramen? =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Oct 2019 14:19

Oh, thanks to one of my former co-workers, I'm a fan of Paramore! :D

If you like them, there's a 45 rpm of "Misery Business" and all their studio albums ("All We Know Is Falling", "Riot!", "Brand New Eyes", "Paramore" and "After Laughter") have appeared on LP in various black and colored vinyl versions...

Here are a few of their more memorable tracks...

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 19 Nov 2019 00:51

Nice day today. First, a buddy and I went to go see Big Boy. One of the last largest operational steam locomotive built, traveling through the Midwest. A million pounds of greasy steel was on display. Truly a impressive sight.
https://www.up.com/cs/groups/public/@up ... cele_m.jpg
That worked up a thirst. So buddy J-man and I ended up at a nice establishment for some imbibements afterwards. There with a pretty and intelligent bartender to enjoy our suds with, a song came on that piqued my auditory nerves, (whats left). Turned out to be a lady with a famous name, but she was nothing like the Betty Davis I'd ever known. This Betty was putting down some heavy, raunchy funk, with an edge like a heavily used straight razor. I have to visit Discogs now.

Never heard of her till today. A nice day.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 19 Nov 2019 03:12

Not bad, I kind of like that one too. I might just have to explore this thread a bit more sometime...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 06:19

rewfew wrote:
19 Nov 2019 00:51
Turned out to be a lady with a famous name, but she was nothing like the Betty Davis I'd ever known. This Betty was putting down some heavy, raunchy funk, with an edge like a heavily used straight razor. I have to visit Discogs now.

Never heard of her till today. A nice day.
You mean the lady who was married to jazz trumpeter Miles Davis and had "flings" with everyone from Hugh Masekela, Eric Clapton and Robert Palmer and who was friends with Sly Stone and Jimi Hendrix? The one that had all her stuff released by Light In The Attic Records and the one who just released her first new song in 40 years just this year? :-k

A funky lady who couldn't be tamed, to be sure...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 19 Nov 2019 06:26

OK, I had a talk the other day with a music producer...Well, I overheard him singing some Stevie Wonder in a store and we got to talking...Turns out he's as big a Stevie fan as I am and worked with some local musicians...I always ask these musician types when I meet them to turn me onto some good music I hadn't heard before and this lady's name came up...Nice, soulful R&B in any case...Right up my alley, in fact... :-k

My love for people like Sade, Anita Baker and Stevie, of course, is well-documented and this is right in that wheelhouse... :D

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 04 Dec 2019 17:34

I'd just never bothered looking up who that enchanting vocal was done by. Other live performers I've tubed with Roxy Music could not get the range and beauty Yanick Etienne conveys to the effort live and originally recorded. Always nice to find out something new and interesting.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 04 Dec 2019 18:21

rewfew wrote:
This Betty was putting down some heavy, raunchy funk, with an edge like a heavily used straight razor. I have to visit Discogs now.
Very good description. Off to Discogs also.

And trust VM to know everything about her. :D

By the way, VM, I'm up to five of the Paramore albums. Thinking about adding The Final Riot! soon.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Dec 2019 19:28

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
04 Dec 2019 18:21
rewfew wrote:
This Betty was putting down some heavy, raunchy funk, with an edge like a heavily used straight razor. I have to visit Discogs now.
Very good description. Off to Discogs also.

And trust VM to know everything about her. :D

By the way, VM, I'm up to five of the Paramore albums. Thinking about adding The Final Riot! soon.
Paramore is great...One of my younger co-workers was a huge Evanescence/Avril Lavigne fan and he turned me onto them...Good stuff! 8)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Dec 2019 01:36

By the way, are any of you guys jazz and classical fans??? :-k I found this on an odd thrift store tape, a melding of the genres...

spensar
Canada

Post by spensar » 05 Dec 2019 02:15

vinyl master wrote:
05 Dec 2019 01:36
By the way, are any of you guys jazz and classical fans??? :-k I found this on an odd thrift store tape, a melding of the genres...
Fantastic find VM, thanks. Much more jazz than classical.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 05 Dec 2019 06:29

vinyl master wrote:
05 Dec 2019 01:36
It may be my lack of knowledge in the classical genre but I'm just hearing jazz. Very nice jazz. While I thought you may have found one of the jazzified JS Bach albums that seem to have been popular at one point. Like The Swingle Singers, Jacques Loussier and some way cheesier ones whose names I have forgotten, thank god.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 05 Dec 2019 08:02

A long time session player with a handful of his own albums both solo and various bands he has fronted, Walter Rossi. Initially attracted to the close up of his guitar and mildly menacing bad boy stance, I discovered a highly talented guitarist with a clean, effortless style of play that I really enjoy.Under the radar, and deserves to be better known.