Your favorite new discovery!

name that tune
rewfew
long player
long player

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Post by rewfew » 20 Mar 2015 21:39

Reggae quest takes a check with Ernest Ranglin. Kind of a Caribbean Wes Montgomery. He goes way back to ska and rock steady rhythm's. Hard to afford old material but some nice Japanese reissue's.

Ernie's....Surfin.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 30 Mar 2015 03:21

SAY NOW! Just realized this stunning young Serbian woman that looks like a vixen and plays scorching, blistering blues guitar. Ana Popovic........ whew, what a dish and what a guitar player.

Step aside boys.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Mar 2015 06:55

rewfew wrote:SAY NOW! Just realized this stunning young Serbian woman that looks like a vixen and plays scorching, blistering blues guitar. Ana Popovic........ whew, what a dish and what a guitar player.

Step aside boys.
And if you like that, you need to find out about Susan Tedeschi real fast!! And she can sing the blues, too!!

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 31 Mar 2015 01:20

vinyl master wrote:And if you like that, you need to find out about Susan Tedeschi real fast!! And she can sing the blues, too!!
Yes, I know of Susan and her hot shot husband Derek, for some time they've been quite prominent. I've been a blues fan since the 70's and seen many great artists come and go. Hadn't heard of Ana Popovic until just yesterday. She seems very talented to me, and easy on the eye's too.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Mar 2015 01:35

You know who else is quite good, but is very underrated? A woman by the name of Lynn Carey...Easy on the eyes? Like this?

I found a test pressing of one of her 45's when she was with the band Mama Lion, back in the 70's. They did two albums, "Give It Everything You've Got" and "Preserve Wildlife". I found another 45' later by the "Mama N' Papa Rock'n Family" on the Kent label. I could not for the life of me figure out who it was at first, but the voice was so Janis Joplin-esque! I finally tracked her down, and she was surprised I had the 45's...She told me she didn't even own copies of those! So, I sent her a recorded copy of those, and she sent me a signed CD of her "greatest hits"...What a lovely woman, and so pleasant! I'm glad I discovered her!!

Here's some Mama Lion From 1973...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Apr 2015 06:38

Well, well...I just found me a new discovery! :mrgreen: Keep in mind that everything you are about to hear was released ...YES...in 2015!! If any of you remember good old-school classic soul and R&B from the 70's and 80's, be prepared to get your mind blown...

Remember The Gap Band, Cameo, Roger & Zapp, Michael Jackson, Kool & The Gang, Debarge, The Isley Brothers, Shalamar, S.O.S. Band, and all that good funky stuff???

If you do, and you dig the old-school vibe of those groups, and remember the Soul Train line, may I present to you...

TUXEDO!!

I am giddy now...Digging the retro-funky sounds! \:D/

I believe this is Mayer Hawthorne's new project, too, so he's got the chops...

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 30 Apr 2015 09:13

Great find VM! :-)

Love that sound...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Apr 2015 14:02

By the way...EVEN MORE GIDDY...The album's out on VINYL, too! :mrgreen:

http://www.insound.com/tuxedo-lp.html

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 30 Apr 2015 20:56

Already spotted! But out of stock on Amazon UK :-(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 May 2015 07:01

Insound is the place to get it, Tonybro...I bought my Alabama Shakes album from them, as well as a few others, and haven't been dissatisfied...The Tuxedo LP looks and sounds like a worthwhile purchase, especially if you're a funk fan and fan of the 80's music like I am...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 May 2015 07:43

OK, so speaking of the 80's music, and I'm on a roll here, I have another wonderful discovery for you guys! If you dig the 80's like I do, and you're a jazz fan to boot, I'll bet you've never heard the 80's done quite like this...

May I present to you...MISS ELY BRUNA!

Never in a million years could I have imagined "The Final Countdown" and "We Are The World" as jazz tunes! :o And she pulled them off!! :shock:

Something is definitely WRONG in my mind to be tapping my feet to THOSE songs...and yet, so RIGHT at the same time...How does that happen??? :?

She even does the 70's, just as good...

(Chaka Khan never sounded like this...)

And something a little modern...

Impressive...Now, I have her 2015 album, "Synesthesia" and the previous "Notes From The Past" and "Remember The Time" on my radar... :mrgreen:

Of course, all I can find are MP3 files, WAV files, and CD's...I hope there is vinyl for her somehwere, or at the very least, someone considers some decent reissues...This stuff is crying out for vinyl...

ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Post by ginniegatrit » 01 May 2015 16:39

My new discovery is that older Mono Columbia label recordings are actually pretty good.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 01 Jul 2015 20:10

Finding the Ely Bruna was a nice thing, and I've been on a bit of a bossa nova kick over the past year or so...I've hunted down the albums of Astrud Gilberto, and have come across albums by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Walter Wanderley, Tamba 4, and even Frank Sinatra's albums with Jobim and Ella Fitzgerald's "Ella Abraca Jobim"...so this stuff has been on my radar...This woman, though, has not, and is a new discovery to me!

I'm really in love with music now!! :raining:

I hear her album is available on vinyl, too! =D>

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 02 Oct 2015 11:06

As much as I love most of the other genres for different reasons, I'm also unabashedly a fan of people like Frank Sinatra, Nat "King" Cole, Johnny Mathis, Tony Bennett, Perry Como, and newer talents like Harry Connick, Jr. and Michael Buble, so imagine my surprise when I discovered the talents of this man, Mr. Yannick Bovy!

You could almost swear it was Buble himself, but no...Spooky, ain't it??? :shock: A newcomer to the genre of swing and standards...

Hear...Take a listen for yourself...

Those are bonus tracks from his "Better Man" album, but he also has a 2014 release titled "All The Way"...Sadly, they are CD-only releases, but if you're a fan of any of the aforementioned artists, he might be worth a listen or two...And if you do listen, why not pour yourself a mixed drink, while you're at it... :-k

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 04 Oct 2015 02:49

You forgot Triumph and Saga.Triumph another great power trio,and Saga great prog-rock band.