vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Post by vinyl master » 09 May 2019 11:14

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
08 May 2019 18:52
vinyl master wrote:
08 May 2019 16:05
Those two girls look totally out of their element, until they start playing!
What do you mean? To me, they look more jazz than rock but out of their element, I don't get.
Well, for one...How many female-fronted rockabilly groups have YOU ever heard of? :-k I mean, yeah, there are women like Wanda Jackson who are still out there and the late Janis Martin...Maybe Brenda Lee or Lorrie Collins, perhaps...Anyone ever heard of Rosie Flores??? Sure, but two women fronting a band that plays rockabilly??? :-k Not something you would normally expect, but I like women breaking boundaries like that! =D> I actually made mention not that long ago on a thread about women exploding in the smooth jazz arena, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising to see more women in the male-dominated rockabilly field...Bottom line, though...I dig their sound! 8)
VinyldechezPierre wrote:
08 May 2019 18:52

One thing I forgot: that's the first modern band I encounter that released an album in the 78rpm format. https://www.discogs.com/fr/Kitty-Daisy- ... se/2929545

Not sure what to think of it. It is cool but not sure how many buyers for it...
I do wonder how many recent acts have put out music on 78 RPM like that? Are they the only ones in the last ten years or so? :-k

In any case, since you turned me onto them, I did find one more gal you might like...Take a listen to Amber Foxx here! 8)

Crazy Legs
United States of America

Post by Crazy Legs » 10 May 2019 21:19

How about Exene Cervenka with The Knitters? Ok so John Doe takes the lead a lot but so does Exene.

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 12 May 2019 15:16

Seeing Amber Foxx hearkens me back to my club'n days. A robust lady with bust being at the forefront. She was a former soft core star turned blues club singer. Candye Kane, her early band mates were known as, The Swinging Members. She could belt a tune with true Reubenisque rapport. There's a video Wikipedia says of her doing her song, All You Can Eat, with her pounding the keyboards with her bare breasts. Hoo boy, what a dame. She passed from cancer in 2016.
Candye doing Great Big Woman.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 13 May 2019 14:29

rewfew wrote:
12 May 2019 15:16
Candye doing Great Big Woman.
Thanks for that video rewfew. Can't help but wonder if she felt she had to do that one song at every concert...

Not easy being big in this world of ours. I remember when I discovered Joanna Connor in a video titled "This is why you don’t judge a book by its cover." If she'd been "normal" size, the title would have been: "WOW! Check out this guitar chick!"

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 13 May 2019 23:23

VinyldechezPierre wrote:
13 May 2019 14:29
Not easy being big in this world of ours. I remember when I discovered Joanna Connor in a video titled "This is why you don’t judge a book by its cover." If she'd been "normal" size, the title would have been: "WOW! Check out this guitar chick!"
The beautiful thing with both these ladies is and was their self acceptance of themselves and others. Judgement is not skin deep. That's the superficial trait common throughout our world. Joanna Connor's is another hot mama I've had pleasure to see their performance. She wasn't always so large, but age has done a fun house mirror, width wise, on her. But boy that babe can scorch a guitar. Lord have mercy.

RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 » 14 May 2019 23:59

I came across it in February but I've listened to it over 1000 times and still love it so I guess it counts - A One Story Town by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It's the first song on his 1982 album Long After Dark, which is actually one of his less popular albums, and I much prefer it than the lead single You Got Lucky which is boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s1lx39sTxA

I can hear a possible influence on R.E.M. and Replacements albums in its opening/closing riff and chorus, which it predates.

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 15 May 2019 14:30

So my Kitty, Daisy & Lewis CD arrived today and well worth the money. I got their second album "Smoking in Heaven" and found this on the back of the booklet:
KT&L.jpg
(160.33 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Durham is the family name and G is dad.

So I went looking for more info on the trio and it turns out they have their own studio at home with mostly vintage analog gear. =D>

And dad owns and runs a mastering studio.

I may well order another album but the 78s version this time. :D

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 18 May 2019 15:16

Just for fun. I don't think I would buy an album, if they even have one. Couldn't find one anyway.

Covers of english songs translated into french. Ok, way more fun if you understand french because the literal translations they do can be quite absurd. Also, it reminded me of how few frenchies have a good enough understanding of english to figure out lyrics. As we know, even english speakers sometimes have problems.

Couple years back my sister told me she had recently figured out "Hurricane" by Bob Dylan was not about the weather... :D

VinyldechezPierre
France

Post by VinyldechezPierre » 13 Jun 2019 14:33

No matter how many bands I know, I'm constantly reminded how few bands I know when I discover new ones, some of which have been around for years. Of course, there are plenty of them I don't care about discovering but when I do find a jewel, it's such a gas! :lol:

Two new ones today. New to me that is.

Shpongle = Introduced to this band through a concert video. Saw that name, had to click on the video!:

Absolutely wonderfully crazy beautiful show but I wondered what an album would sound like since it is actually a duo... with some guests, depending on the album. Have only listened to the first one (Are You Shpongled?) for now and, although not quite the same, still very nice. I may not buy the album but I'll go to a concert any day. Then I realized this is kind of a jam band which I usually think of as better live than on vinyl. :D

Keziah Jones = Amazing singer, songwriter and guitarist from Nigeria but, WARNING, the 3 albums I've listened to so far are as different as they can be. I really enjoyed all 3 but you may not. I suggest you listen to the albums on the Tube before ordering. Those I listened to: Liquid Sunshine, Blufunk Is A Fact!, and Nigerian Wood (the 2 CD version); CD #2 is bonus tracks; real bonus tracks, not version 2, 3 or more of CD 1.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 31 Aug 2019 02:13

Talk about not judging a book by it's cover...I just discovered this guy and he TOTALLY surprised me in a good way! =D>

Enjoy! :)

And just for you guys...An encore of Marvin Gaye!

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 31 Aug 2019 15:57

Teddy got soul. Looks like a big hairy, tatted, ear lugged desecration of his own creation. But that voice is a gift that can make a lady swoon.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 05 Sep 2019 15:07

Yes, rewfew...You are right! :D

Here's another one...If any of you are fans of bands like Coldplay and Dave Matthews Band, here's a group that may have escaped your radar...Ladies and gentlemen, check out Blue Merle here! :)

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Sep 2019 22:03

You don't think there are supergroups anymore like The Highwaymen of old? :-k

Well, meet the HIGHWOMEN! 8)

They even did a great cover of Fleetwood Mac's "The Chain" here...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Sep 2019 04:06

I'm not all up on the new country, but I think I may have found the audiophile's anthem right here! And she's been compared to the aforementioned Maren Morris, Melissa Etheridge and Bonnie Raitt all rolled up into one...Check out Hawaii's own JoLivi ...

Of course, her choice of record player leaves a bit to be desired, but other than that... 8-[

Speaking of Bonnie Raitt, well...here...an encore! :)

rewfew
long player
long player

Post by rewfew » 13 Sep 2019 22:12

Bought this a few weeks back getting a lot of play. Real sleazy and cheesy music from a San Diego band prominent in the 90's. It's a concept truck driving album with macabre overtones the band was noted for. Sounds like theme music for an over the road truckers horror movie. Nothing high falutin here, just a regional band that cranked out an assortment of oddball deviant music with a dead pan humor to their horror genre tunes. Something a little bit different and bent of sorts. Getting a kick out of it. Deadbolt's album namesake, Voodoo Trucker.