the home of the turntable

Your favorite new discovery!

name that tune

Your favorite new discovery!

Postby vinyl master » 07 Dec 2014 08:25

Hey all...I thought I would start a thread, where people could post their favorite "new' discoveries, maybe a new artist or a new album...It doesn't have to be new as in recent, but it must be new to you...Maybe it was a recommendation from another fan, maybe you found this rare or unknown 45' in a box of records, played it and went, "WOW!"...Maybe it was a band you saw on TV, or an artist you heard on the radio...But, if you come across something cool that you like, and want to share, why not post it here???

For instance, I get into a proggy mood once in a while, and found a fantastic band, and it doesn't look like they got much exposure over here...Has anyone heard of the German band Lake? They had some singles in the 70's, but nothing really hit the Top 40, and yet, some of their songs really stand out, and should have been hits at the time...

Check these out...

I also was pleasantly surprised by this Melanie single I found a while back...While known for her folkier stuff, this one took me for a loop...

Also, I was impressed the first time I heard this one, and thought I'd share it...

Pete Townshend is playing on it, and is an impressive debut for little Angie Porter...I hear she sang back-up on "Video Killed The Radio Star", too...

I came across Tony Carey's "The New Machine" album a few years back, and really dug the vibe...Here are a couple of tunes to check out...

I dig good pop...Power-pop, jazz-pop, soul-pop, good rock, doesn't matter...If it's good, I want to hear it!

Another band I found out about recently is Deacon Blue out of the UK...

And a new one from 2012...

I've recently discovered these guys, and Daft Punk fans take note...

Kinda awesome and different at the same time...I don't know any a cappella groups doing cover/mashup medleys like this...

Then, there is still this girl, who is in a totally different league, and not my normal forte, but she can play...

I do like my funk, too, and no one is really doing the funk...OK, Sharon Jones knocks my socks off and is the real deal...but Bruno Mars surprised me with how accurately he got the 80's vibe down on this...

Another band that has that 80's vibe...

Those are but a few things that have been on my radar in the last year or so...I like discovering new things, so I don't get into a rut musically...So, what cool bands/artists have you found in your travels/searches, either on purpose or accidentally? Anything that you'd like to share that you can't keep to yourself anymore? Bring it on!!
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Re: Your favorite new discovery!

Postby Tonybro » 07 Dec 2014 09:45

If you like Deacon Blue, check out some other Scottish Bands from that era: -

The Big Dish
Del Amitri
The Silencers - one of my absolute faves
Texas - Charlene Spitteri's voice is amazing
Danny Wilson

They should get you started! :)
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 07 Dec 2014 10:00

Love the Danny Wilson, got the Texas CD's, and know the Del Amitri well...Have them on vinyl, too! I will have to check out The Silencers and The Big Dish...Could be my next discoveries! :D
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby finger painter » 08 Dec 2014 03:18

Favourite discoveries for this year are Jason Isbel and Amanda Shires (his wife). Certainly new to me on this side of the pond as I guess Jason is a little better know States side being the ex guitarist for the 'Drive by Truckers'.

By chance me and the much superior side of our marriage saw them live in the Shetland Islands while visiting. Considering we'd never heard of them (so a bit of a blind hit or miss) we were treated to one brilliant concert by two very talented artists. Bought their two recently released albums on the back of their live performance and blown away. Great music, great tracks, exceptionally well produced and really well put together quality albums.

Jason Isbel - Southeastern
Amanda Shires - Down Fell the Doves
finger painter

Postby rottonjohnny » 08 Dec 2014 05:34

I've been having flashbacks from what used to be played on Australian radio in the late sixties through to the seventies which then leads me to bands and artists I had forgotten , through this "technique" I have discovered some great albums .
I now have:
all three mother goose albums {new Zealand art rock} famous for "baked beans"
all three ayers rock albums and the debut single which never appeared on l.p
a couple of jeff st john albums
and a heap of motown and soul albums .
the benefits of having a audiographic memory :D
rottonjohnny

Barbados

Postby jives11 » 08 Dec 2014 08:17

Budgie

Early 70s hard rock from Wales, great albums , love "Never turn your back in a friend"
Here is a clip of them playing Breadfan, later covered by Metallica

jives11
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Robinj » 08 Dec 2014 11:51

Not favorite but cereinly new to me. Eisbrecher. A german Gothic/metal/techno band. Check it ou yourself and maybe you like it.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjO1bMHbDpY[/youtube]
Robinj

Netherlands

Postby JoeE SP9 » 08 Dec 2014 19:24

Somi, The Lagos Music Salon. =D>
JoeE SP9
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby ginniegatrit » 09 Dec 2014 00:47

jives11 wrote:Budgie

Early 70s hard rock from Wales, great albums , love "Never turn your back in a friend"
Here is a clip of them playing Breadfan, later covered by Metallica

I really like some of their stuff. "In For the Kill" is very good too.
ginniegatrit
long player
long player

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 09 Dec 2014 07:25

Another discovery is Dutch jazz & soul songstress Trijntje Oosterhuis (trynt-jah oh-stir-hoose)...Check out this track from "Wrecks We Adore"...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Shed man » 09 Dec 2014 10:31

vinyl master wrote:Hey all...I thought I would start a thread, where people could post their favorite "new' discoveries, maybe a new artist or a new album...It doesn't have to be new as in recent, but it must be new to you...Maybe it was a recommendation from another fan, maybe you found this rare or unknown 45' in a box of records, played it and went, "WOW!"...Maybe it was a band you saw on TV, or an artist you heard on the radio...But, if you come across something cool that you like, and want to share, why not post it here???

For instance, I get into a proggy mood once in a while, and found a fantastic band, and it doesn't look like they got much exposure over here...Has anyone heard of the German band Lake? They had some singles in the 70's, but nothing really hit the Top 40, and yet, some of their songs really stand out, and should have been hits at the time...

Check these out...

I also was pleasantly surprised by this Melanie single I found a while back...While known for her folkier stuff, this one took me for a loop...

Also, I was impressed the first time I heard this one, and thought I'd share it...

Pete Townshend is playing on it, and is an impressive debut for little Angie Porter...I hear she sang back-up on "Video Killed The Radio Star", too...

I came across Tony Carey's "The New Machine" album a few years back, and really dug the vibe...Here are a couple of tunes to check out...

I dig good pop...Power-pop, jazz-pop, soul-pop, good rock, doesn't matter...If it's good, I want to hear it!

Another band I found out about recently is Deacon Blue out of the UK...

And a new one from 2012...

I've recently discovered these guys, and Daft Punk fans take note...

Kinda awesome and different at the same time...I don't know any a cappella groups doing cover/mashup medleys like this...

Then, there is still this girl, who is in a totally different league, and not my normal forte, but she can play...

I do like my funk, too, and no one is really doing the funk...OK, Sharon Jones knocks my socks off and is the real deal...but Bruno Mars surprised me with how accurately he got the 80's vibe down on this...

Another band that has that 80's vibe...

Those are but a few things that have been on my radar in the last year or so...I like discovering new things, so I don't get into a rut musically...So, what cool bands/artists have you found in your travels/searches, either on purpose or accidentally? Anything that you'd like to share that you can't keep to yourself anymore? Bring it on!!

Loved the Melanie track and now ordered the vinyl. Thanks for that.
Shed man

United Kingdom

Postby vinyl master » 09 Dec 2014 19:18

I found that Melanie track on a promo 45' (blue on one side, white on the other) and was impressed so much with it, I had to hunt down the album.

While not all of their stuff is as good, I did find a promo copy of this, too, in the same batch of records...

Their very first single! Then, I found this one they did...

What can I say? I'm a sucker for a Trevor Horn production...I'm also a sucker for a good Stock-Aitken-Waterman production, hence this...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Tonybro » 09 Dec 2014 19:49

Vinyl Master, Ricky Ross from Deacon Blue has worked with Maeve O'Boyle to great effect - you can get one of her great tracks from Linn Records today for free under their 24bits of Xmas promo.

Getting her stuff on vinyl is always difficult.

Another great female artist is Emily Barker and the Red Clay Halo. Australian but based out of Glasgow.
Tonybro
long player
long player

United Kingdom

Postby Terry Robinson » 10 Dec 2014 04:31

My greatest discovery of all time was when I was listening to the wireless very late one nite, many years ago when there was still something to listen to on the wireless and they played a recording of the Symphony No. 5 in E-minor, Op.64 (1888) composed by Pyotyr Il'yich Tschaikovsky, played by the Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Prof. Dr. Willem Mengelberg, recorded in November, 1939. The source was a Music and Arts Lp record and the sound was dreadful but the performance just bowled me over -- I'd never heard anything like it before! I just had to get all his recordings but, unfortunately, this was before his recordings were released on C.D. and, as a result virtually nothing of his was available.

Luckily that's all changed now and we have any number of his recordings here with many orchestras.

What a wonderful discovery!

Cheers,

Terry.
Terry Robinson
contributor

Australia

Postby vinyl master » 11 Dec 2014 05:51

I've also gotten into a lot of the Canadian bands and artists in recent years...Here's a playlist for you...Some good stuff here...

Canada rocks!! If anyone knows of any more Canadian rock that fell underneath the radar (We all know about Neil Young and Rush now...), let me know...

By the way, I have 45's and/or LP's for everything but the 54/40...and am always looking for more...Suggestions, please!
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Next

Return to Music and Records