Warped records from Amazon?

name that tune
Billunderhill
United States of America

Re: Warped records from Amazon?

Post by Billunderhill » 13 Apr 2019 19:58

I'm having the same issue with records coming from Amazon's warehouse. About 2/3 are coming warped. I return them...no way I'm paying $20+ for new records that are warped.

Billunderhill
United States of America

Post by Billunderhill » 13 Apr 2019 20:03

Jimod99 wrote:
24 Jun 2014 11:02
warping occurs as part of the manufacturing, its nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon, or any other retailer.
Untrue. Although some warpage may occur during manufacturing, QC weeds most out. Poor storage and/or shipping conditions are by far greater offenders.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 13 Apr 2019 21:38

Billunderhill wrote:
13 Apr 2019 20:03
Jimod99 wrote:
24 Jun 2014 11:02
warping occurs as part of the manufacturing, its nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon, or any other retailer.
Untrue. Although some warpage may occur during manufacturing, QC weeds most out. Poor storage and/or shipping conditions are by far greater offenders.
Back when the presses were fully automated at the major labels, warpage was rare. Now that presses are mainly manual ly operated there is more chance of less than perfect stamping. Also, if a press operator is used to pressing heavier 180-200 gram discs and starts out trying to press 140 gram discs, you will get more warpage. That said, there really is no such thing as a 'perfectly' flat record, just a lot that are close.

I had 3 damaged records one really hot (for Ottawa) summer about 4 or 5 years ago. In the span of 2 weeks, I had two discs melted in the postal van and one that I knew was broken as the postie handed it to me. I really should have opened it in front of him. I think that postie was upset with all the heavy electronics I had bought from Japan. Hasn't happened since. Canada Post vans aren't air conditioned as far nas I can tell. They drive with the door open and that summer had us see 40 degrees locally. I try to get my purchases sent by post rather than courier. The couriers leave parcels at the door. Amazon and their contracted delivery people are notorious for that. Our building has told the tenants this is no longer allowed, but I do not know how they think they can change it. It would take a policy change at the couriers rather than a notice to tenants. I wish Amazon would give us the option to decide which delivery service we want to choose as opposed to free delivery versus 1 day shipping.