Warped records from Amazon?

name that tune
johnnywalker

Warped records from Amazon?

Post by johnnywalker » 19 Jun 2014 15:29

For Father's Day I received two new records, both from Amazon. My wife (ostensibly the dogs) gave me The Lone Bellow ("new" music just released in 2013), and my daughter gave me Santana's Abraxas (1970, re-issued by Sundazed Records). Lucky me.

Amazon's packaging was excellent, but both records are warped! The warp is not so bad that I cannot play them; they don't skip or distort, but the tonearm does a jig while playing them. But recently I had to return to Amazon a new copy of MJQ's Django because it was too warped.

What's going on at Amazon? Do other members here have the same experience? I can only theorize that Amazon is storing their records in a too-warm warehouse. They should know better.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Warped records from Amazon?

Post by Tonybro » 19 Jun 2014 17:56

I'm not having warped records delivered just noisy or full of static which, naturally, I can't pin at the feet of the tax avoiders at Amazon....

Breezy

Post by Breezy » 20 Jun 2014 17:33

I've had that problem too. In fact it's the single biggest problem that my return to vinyl has encountered. It's not just Amazon though. Pretty much 75% of everything that I've bought from a whole variety of online vinyl retailers has been warped to some degree or other. Indeed, if anything Amazon is probably less of a problem since at least they have a robust and efficient returns process.

I'm starting to feel incredibly frustrated if truth be known. At the prices charged for vinyl - say £15 to £20 per LP - I believe that I should get a perfect copy. In reality, I take a view and only return items I consider "too bad" but even then I'm made to feel like I'm being unreasonable.

If a record is warped but otherwise sounds okay, what are other peoples views on whether it should be kept or returned? Do people have favoured retailers who can be recommended? I suspect the root cause is manufacturing and until enough people complain then nothing will change.

Breezy

Vic Flange

Post by Vic Flange » 20 Jun 2014 18:04

I generally return about 50% of the vinyl I buy from Amazon.

If there is ANYTHING wrong with it, it goes back. I'm not paying £20 for defective goods.

letter109

Post by letter109 » 20 Jun 2014 18:09

Hi all...normally I don't post to vinylengine because most folks have the answers before I do anyway, but this time I could not resist. Yes, I have gotten warped records from Amazon and other places as well. I think it has more to do with what happens to the LPs after they leave Amazon than it does with how Amazon stores them, but in any case, I know a lot of mail-order LPs arrive warped. Sadly, I have no solution except to to return them if they're too far gone to play. :(

jwspicer1

Post by jwspicer1 » 20 Jun 2014 18:48

One thing I have learned ordering vinyl online is simple - most delivery services do NOT air-condition the cargo area (and one, UPS, is famous for not air-conditioning the driver compartment either). Often, items end up in hot containers and cargo trailers, and then when parceled out for delivery spend even more time in hot delivery trucks. Not good. And there's nothing any online retailer (even eBay sellers) can do about it. I have found the best shipper is - wait for it - the Postal Service. The time spent in the heat on the last mile is shorter. And in the summer, make sure that someone is there to retrieve the package in as short a time as possible. Your front step or package drop can be the worst thing of all. I have at least one eBay source who will on request ship with USPS and signature required, to make sure it gets snared and doesn't sit outside. And this trick works in the winter too, especially if you have mail delivered to a central box.

Now as for Amazon's "tax dodge" I live in a state which pays sales tax on Amazon purchases. Now others...

Alvabass

Post by Alvabass » 21 Jun 2014 07:04

I've received several warped records from Amazon UK. Still, their customer service is great. When I let them know about the situation, I also mention the fact that shipping costs from my country to the UK are prohibitively expensive. Then they send me a replacement item without me having to return the defective one. They tell me that I can donate it to charity.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 23 Jun 2014 13:35

FWIW, I have had much better results (i.e., many fewer warped records) buying on ebay than from Amazon! I rarely receive a warped record from ebay (or discogs, for that matter), but the majority of records I've received from Amazon have a degree of warp. In my experience, most ebay (and discogs) sellers are pretty good about packing well, but so is Amazon these days. So that would seem to lessen the impact of the actual transit process being the source of the warping, since all of these records, regardless of source, go through the same transit process. That leaves the manufacturing process, or the storage at the vendor's as the possible cause of this irritating warping.

I have to concur that Amazon's customer service, though, is excellent.

Jimod99

Post by Jimod99 » 24 Jun 2014 11:02

warping occurs as part of the manufacturing, its nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon, or any other retailer.

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 24 Jun 2014 21:56

warping occurs as part of the manufacturing, its nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon, or any other retailer.
How do you know this? Do you have a source for this information?

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 24 Jun 2014 22:13

I received a warped record from a Discogs seller. Warped so bad that the first two tracks are unplayable. When I wrote the seller about it he went ballistic, ranting about what an honorable seller he is and that a defective disk was impossible. And, just what kind of a con artist am I anyway? et cetera...

Probably happened during shipping but none-the-less this gentleman gets no more business from me.

der

Peter Galbavy

Post by Peter Galbavy » 25 Jun 2014 14:14

The only reason for trying 180gm/200gm disks... they certainly help defend against this.

I have records, in their packaging, left in my porch which heats up at this time of year. I would not be surprised if this - or similar shipping issues - contribute to warping.

Zer0beaT

Post by Zer0beaT » 02 Jul 2014 01:06

I've always assumed the warping happened at the manufacturing level. They don't give the records enough time to permanently set or it's right on the "sufficient" amount of time needed.

I would imagine it would take a lot of extended very high heat once a vinyl record has cooled properly and completed it permanent form to change that afterwards. I know it can be done, but it seems unlikely that so many have this happen because of being in a storage area that's say, 25-30 celcius vs a much more comfortable for us humans around 22 degrees C.

I guess one way to test it would be to get a record you don't care about that's perfectly flat, put it in a sleeve and in it's jacket, plastic wrap it with Saran wrap or something, and throw it in you car on a balmy day and find out the results (might actually do this haha!)

wgallupe

Post by wgallupe » 03 Jul 2014 17:01

jwspicer1 wrote:One thing I have learned ordering vinyl online is simple - most delivery services do NOT air-condition the cargo area (and one, UPS, is famous for not air-conditioning the driver compartment either). Often, items end up in hot containers and cargo trailers, and then when parceled out for delivery spend even more time in hot delivery trucks. Not good. And there's nothing any online retailer (even eBay sellers) can do about it.
I agree. In fact, I don't buy LPs online during the summer months for this very reason.

dailyhifi

Post by dailyhifi » 05 Jul 2014 03:36

While I have received a few warped records from amazon and other online retailers I have also encountered a fair number in local shops all across the United States. It has lead me to the belief that most of the warping is happening in the pressing plant, as I am seeing the same types of warps from the same labels across a long period of time. An example of this is the new Blue Note reissues. I've purchased about 20 different tiles and a fair number with slight warps. I've purchased these 20 or so records over a 5 year span in different venues and there has been slight warps often. I just can't help but feel that they are not letting the pressed records cool long enough before packaging.