name that tune
mickb69
long player
long player
England

Re: colored vinyl

Post by mickb69 » 29 Nov 2015 22:36

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc2 ... fv5hap.jpg

Alice Cooper live double album, "no more Mr nice guy" Halloween 2011 show, released recently by "back on black".

Sounds great

ChimpsInTies

Post by ChimpsInTies » 03 Dec 2015 09:49

Is it normal for coloured vinyl to have little flecks of other colour in it?

For example my Blade Runner red 180g has got 2 specks of black in it. At first I thought it was a big blob of dirt but it seems to play over it without issue.

mickb69
long player
long player
England

Post by mickb69 » 03 Dec 2015 17:07

Yeah, it will have been accidental, but it will be a particle of black PVC that had gotten in with the rest of it probably.

gorlokrg

Post by gorlokrg » 03 Dec 2015 18:15

ChimpsInTies wrote:Is it normal for coloured vinyl to have little flecks of other colour in it?

For example my Blade Runner red 180g has got 2 specks of black in it. At first I thought it was a big blob of dirt but it seems to play over it without issue.
It shouldn't be normal. Black vinyl from a previous pressing process got pressed into the colored vinyl. I have at least 30+ colored records, and about 10-15 of them have this issue. Doesn't affect the sound, but when you have a clear see through record and you see that black spec you feel a bit disappointed.

mickb69
long player
long player
England

Post by mickb69 » 04 Dec 2015 10:16

gorlokrg wrote:
ChimpsInTies wrote:Is it normal for coloured vinyl to have little flecks of other colour in it?

It shouldn't be normal. Black vinyl from a previous pressing process got pressed into the colored vinyl. I have at least 30+ colored records, and about 10-15 of them have this issue. Doesn't affect the sound, but when you have a clear see through record and you see that black spec you feel a bit disappointed.
Yeah, that would do my head in a bit. For the cost, they should be perfect, I'm not saying they should be thrown in the bin for this offence, but maybe stated as such and discounted as imperfect.

Still, as long as they are flat and sound great, that's the most important thing.

Pikey
England

Post by Pikey » 06 Dec 2015 11:44

Here's a blast from the past ...

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 06_003.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 06_004.jpg

Not exactly a colored vinyl, more a picture disc but kind of notorious for being the first ever made! ... bit noisy too because of the process used to make it!

Fantastic band too, saw them a couple of times in the early 70's, probably the best band I've ever seen!

kingdhansak
long player
long player

Post by kingdhansak » 06 Dec 2015 14:45

Pikey wrote:Here's a blast from the past ...

http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 06_003.jpg
http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... 06_004.jpg

Not exactly a colored vinyl, more a picture disc but kind of notorious for being the first ever made! ... bit noisy too because of the process used to make it!

Fantastic band too, saw them a couple of times in the early 70's, probably the best band I've ever seen!
I used to have this. Side 1 played fine, but side 2 was un-listenable! I switched to a regular black vinyl after that..

kingdhansak
long player
long player

Post by kingdhansak » 06 Dec 2015 14:54

Re-issue of sole LP by early 70s German band My Solid Ground - fantastic stuff!!
:D

mickb69
long player
long player
England

Post by mickb69 » 06 Dec 2015 18:20

Pikey wrote:Here's a blast from the past ...

Great album that, I have it on regular black vinyl, that doesn't sound great, but god knows what it could have been played on throughout all its years

whitenoise
England

Post by whitenoise » 28 Dec 2015 03:12

One of my favourites, although looks better stationary than it does when spinning !.
WP_20151227_17_32_24_Pro.jpg
(746.2 KiB) Downloaded 419 times

nel27cain

Post by nel27cain » 03 Jan 2016 15:02

good looking tt clive, and blue vinyl from the blue eyes. did not even know a limited release of this album. when playing colored records please post it here so that others can even more appreciate why records is worth collecting.

Vanni

Post by Vanni » 03 Jan 2016 17:16

Please excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me knows something about the whole black vs coloured debate. Thing is that coloured vinyl sure looks cooler, but generally I try to steer clear of any coloured vinyl when it is also released on black.

Why do I prefer black? Simple - I have multiple editions of certain records by some of my fav artists, so I may have, for instance,the regular black edition and then one on red and another one on green. To my ears, the black is nearly always more quieter than the others, and in some cases, the difference is a big one. Obviously I test said records on more than one turntable and with different carts, but the result is always the same. Also, so far,I've never heard a record that sounds better on coloured than it does on black. Of course, I'm only referring to those records which have been pressed on multiple colours at the same time, not when they're reissued again.

I have heard that supposedly there should be no difference between black and any other colour, and both should, in theory at least, sound the same. However, otoh,some others say that lately(last 2/4 years)the quality of coloured vinyl has indeed gone downwards.

Who is right? Only thing I'm certain of is that I sure can hear audible differences.

ihv2p

Post by ihv2p » 07 Jan 2016 18:11

Vanni wrote:Please excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me knows something about the whole black vs coloured debate. Thing is that coloured vinyl sure looks cooler, but generally I try to steer clear of any coloured vinyl when it is also released on black.

Why do I prefer black? Simple - I have multiple editions of certain records by some of my fav artists, so I may have, for instance,the regular black edition and then one on red and another one on green. To my ears, the black is nearly always more quieter than the others, and in some cases, the difference is a big one. Obviously I test said records on more than one turntable and with different carts, but the result is always the same. Also, so far,I've never heard a record that sounds better on coloured than it does on black. Of course, I'm only referring to those records which have been pressed on multiple colours at the same time, not when they're reissued again.

I have heard that supposedly there should be no difference between black and any other colour, and both should, in theory at least, sound the same. However, otoh,some others say that lately(last 2/4 years)the quality of coloured vinyl has indeed gone downwards.

Who is right? Only thing I'm certain of is that I sure can hear audible differences.
I have never owned a coloured record, until last night, as I picked up a Pink Floyd Meddle, and opened it up and it was red?!...played it and to my dismay it has quite a bit of noise during the quieter bits of Echoes...it was a new sealed in the package, which immediately made me wonder if the quality if vinyl is the same. Or did I just buy a crappy copy cheap production issue?

gorlokrg

Post by gorlokrg » 07 Jan 2016 18:26

Vanni wrote:Please excuse me if I'm posting this on the wrong thread but perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me knows something about the whole black vs coloured debate. Thing is that coloured vinyl sure looks cooler, but generally I try to steer clear of any coloured vinyl when it is also released on black.

Its really a purity issue. Black vinyl is pure with no additives, whereas colored albums have to no be black. They have to change the color of the album, how this is done I have no clue... But definitely there are additional processes and additives that go into it.

Colored albums don't sound bad at all imo, black albums definitely are slightly better in terms of physical noise. However, graphic albums require a variety of additives and more processes to actually create an image on the vinyl material. This is why they have a lot of physical noise, the material was altered.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 07 Jan 2016 18:40

All records are on coloured vinyl, unless it is clear. The addition or lack of black doesn't affect sound quality. Back in the 70's the common practice for coloured records and picture discs was to use stampers at the end of life as it was figured that people wouldn't play them, lest they get damaged and lose collectability. If good stampers, good vinyl and proper pressing techniques are used, you should have a decent record. There is more than one way to make a picture disc, which is made in layers. You don't always get vinyl on the surface. Also, because the disc is already prepared, as opposed to a biscuit to be melted into the stamper, it can not stay in the press long enough to flow properly, therefore sounding like a serious non-fill disc. Some picture records had a black vinyl disc in the middle of the sandwich, others had only paper or cardstock with no backing. Early 78 rpm picture discs were either a cccardboard with plastic sheet stamped on or a metal base (Vogue Discs) with plastic resin on top. It is rare for a good run of good sounding picture discs, but coloured vinyl is not an issue if done right.