colored vinyl

name that tune
jgifford25

Re: colored vinyl

Post by jgifford25 » 18 Sep 2016 03:24

Picked this up tonight:
IMG_0251.jpg
(204.75 KiB) Downloaded 400 times
Kinda glad I found this new pressing of 'Sketches of Spain' at Barnes and Noble (of all places). Even cooler that the colorization of the vinyl matches the album cover fairly well.

I know I've heard this album before, but it's probably been twenty years or so. And may have not been on vinyl. A different Miles Davis for sure from his early years. But still tame compared to his final years.

DaveLaPorte53

Post by DaveLaPorte53 » 19 Mar 2017 17:46

I have quite a few, tried to post a picture, but I couldn't. so here's some I have, Red, J.Giles Blood Shot- White Beatles, white album- Yellow, Sgt.Peppers- Gold G.F.Railroad-Yellow, The Dickies- White & Picture Disc Devo- Translucent Blue, Now Wave sampler, and some others mostly from the 80's.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 30 Mar 2017 00:38

I probably have 15-20 colored albums in my modest collection (about 70). I'll start documenting them when I get my system. Coolest one is probably the splatter discs of New Order's Substance 1987 Japanese DJ promo modeled after the version Factory Records employees were given as a Christmas present in 1987. The falling leaves are references to the sleeve design of the compilation's one new track at the time, True Faith.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/P2IAAOSw4 ... -l1600.jpg

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 30 Mar 2017 01:47

Here's an easter egg for you (potentially). According to discogs.com, "In the USA a good majority of the pressings were issued on audiophile vinyl which appears black like most records, but is actually purple or brown when held up to the light."

Sure enough, checked mine and it is, indeed purple!

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... G_1565.jpg

http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac29 ... G_1567.jpg

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 11 Jul 2017 22:10

If you look at mid to late 80's A&M LP's and 12" singles, this holds true for many titles. Styx - Kilroy Was Here was another example. Kish - I'm Goin' Hypa is another I have had. They can be very quiet, but prone to warpage if left too long in record bin as opposed to proper vetical shelving. I have never owned a copy of the Police - Synchronicity that wasn't fruit bowled enough that my carbon fibre brush would drag the disc on one side. Also, check promo copies, lesser known and lesser wanted titles show up frequently, at least in Canada.

TudorTurtle
United States of America

Post by TudorTurtle » 12 Jul 2017 17:10

Kyluckyman wrote:.....
The other is a numbered copy of vinyl record day 2015 release of Jerry Garcia's second solo album "Compliments". I have #4186 of 7000. I have not opened it but a sticker on the wrap indicates it is green in color...
Excellent SQ on this re-issue!!

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 12 Jul 2017 18:16

Here's a backlit pic of my new 'The People Are Revolting' LP from Freeze The Atlantic.
FreezeVinylCrop.jpg
FreezeVinyl
(44.72 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 12 Jul 2017 18:27

A couple recent acquisitions (also posted in the did you buy any vinyl today? thread, but what the heck).

I don't normally go in for tribute collections, but this one is fantastic on American Laundromat Records out of Mystic, CT. Highly recommended if you like The Smiths.

Picked these up on a recent run to Newbury Comics. Red and yellow vinyl respectively. Recently discovered Bill Evans, and really looking forward to enjoying these.

This one was a holy grail record that I paid WAY too much for, but it's in mint condition. Only 200 were pressed on red vinyl when it was released in 1994. Such a fun album. Surf rock meets sci fi. Man...or ASTROman are a great oddball band.

One of my favorites from the 90's. The criminally underrated Boston alt-rock band Buffalo Tom's classic "Let Me Come Over". Disc 2 is a live recording from their UK tour. One of the hidden gems of the 1990s.

Discobiscuit

Post by Discobiscuit » 12 Jul 2017 21:40

Oh my..... =P~

So, so many incredible albums!!

..as I have a real penchant for all things coloured vinyl, and great packaging, I think Ive just added a good dozen titles to my Lp wants-list...

Standouts for me?

The Smiths tribute on glorious Turqoise, Miles "Sketches" on Sunshine yellow, Freeze the Atlantic on luminescent aquamarine, and the one Ive only heard of (..in hushed tones in many pressing factories across the globe!) -but never seen -New Order "Substance" splatter vinyl, which I think is actually an american pressing, judging by the "bush" mark on the white label, possibly pressed at Gotta Groove records in cleveland -some beautiful designs done by those guys at the moment, -true craftsmen in the art of pressing, because lets face it, it is "Art" !

Thanks for posting some great pics..
Chris DB.

Discobiscuit

Post by Discobiscuit » 12 Jul 2017 21:58

https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3693

Have a look at this thread if you're into coloured vinyl..
..in a past life I had my own little pressing facilty, and made some very interesting bespoke work for record company execs, Promotional campaigns, expo's (record fairs we call them in the uk..) and music industry conventions inc. Miami, and SXSW in Austin -although it was fun to do, the designs took a lot of thought, such as the The Libertines clear vinyl Lp with "dope-smoke" rings going through, U2's "Vertigo" 12" with black/white spiral ala'the record label from the 70s..

..but, the work some of these guys do??
I tell you, this truly is art -you could hang these records on the wall!

Keep a lookout for the metallic-like "planet" record, and of what work has gone into making -and designing that piece of vinyl!!

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 13 Jul 2017 01:06

Discobiscuit wrote:and the one Ive only heard of (..in hushed tones in many pressing factories across the globe!) -but never seen -New Order "Substance" splatter vinyl, which I think is actually an american pressing, judging by the "bush" mark on the white label, possibly pressed at Gotta Groove records in cleveland
Thanks, Discobiscuit! Interesting about the New Order vinyl possibly not being Japanese after all. Wondering what it is (the "bush" mark as you call it) that you saw on the label and why that makes you think it might have been pressed in Ohio. I'd love to track down this set's pedigree for real. The seller said it was a Japanese DJ promo (as you no doubt saw above), but there's no obi or insert to suggest that's the case which Japanese vinyl typically has I've heard.

Since I don't own a turntable yet, I can't even confirm that the discs are a good pressing or even if they are indeed "Substance" or if they're Barry White.

nel27cain

Post by nel27cain » 13 Jul 2017 03:29

Keep on posting if your playing some colored records, we all know we have lots out there

Kurt45
United States of America

Post by Kurt45 » 13 Jul 2017 22:28

Count Basie And Orchestra, "On The Road," Pablo Records.
I got this at the thrift shop, sealed, for 99¢. There was no indication that it would be on red vinyl; I found out when I opened it up.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 13 Jul 2017 22:48

Wow, that must've been a great bonus surprise, Kurt. How are you liking that U-Turn table btw?

Schtick

Post by Schtick » 13 Jul 2017 23:09

What color is vinyl? Not black, surely?