Did you buy any Vinyl today?

name that tune
DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Did you buy any Vinyl today?

Post by DasherF » 10 Nov 2019 01:02

As I "reported " in My Record Store Adventures, I was to a store new to me today, The Record Spot, a nice little shop...Google it and check out the pics.
The prices were really low for the selection he has.
Bread (not the crusty stuff) didn't cost an arm and a leg. I still managed to walk out with $50 under my arm...
The catch of the day:
Argent, Encore (last track on right now...), $14
Blodwyn Pig, Ahead Rings Out (a 3rd copy, as I realised it may be on the way home ...haven't checked it out yet...mighta got skunked, but I was supporting Dave...for $3, y'know?)
Greatful Dead From the Mars Hotel...this one was $17.
Humble Pie Performance Rockin' the Fillmore (2 records for $4...)
The Steve Miller Band, Your Saving Grace, lime green label), $10
Gary Moore, Corridors of Power, promo, $3(of all of these, I have the least clue as to what he sounds like...I know he was a powerful guitarist, he owned and obliterated Peter Green's '59 Les Paul and probably heard him at one time or another...and he's not with us anymore).
So far, the records are in great looking shape, except for Gary's...got some lightgouges, but may be playable with telltale tick. Good thing I have a stylus to be replaced...

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 10 Nov 2019 01:03

As I "reported " in My Record Store Adventures, I was to a store new to me today, The Record Spot, a nice little shop...Google it and check out the pics.
The prices were really low for the selection he has.
Bread (not the crusty stuff) didn't cost an arm and a leg. I still managed to walk out with $50 under my arm...
The catch of the day:
Argent, Encore (last track on right now...), $14
Blodwyn Pig, Ahead Rings Out (a 3rd copy, as I realised it may be on the way home ...haven't checked it out yet...mighta got skunked, but I was supporting Dave...for $3, y'know?)
Greatful Dead From the Mars Hotel...this one was $17.
Humble Pie Performance Rockin' the Fillmore (2 records for $4...)
The Steve Miller Band, Your Saving Grace, lime green label), $10
Gary Moore, Corridors of Power, promo, $3(of all of these, I have the least clue as to what he sounds like...I know he was a powerful guitarist, he owned and obliterated Peter Green's '59 Les Paul and probably heard him at one time or another...and he's not with us anymore).
So far, the records are in great looking shape, except for Gary's...got some lightgouges, but may be playable with telltale tick. Good thing I have a stylus to be replaced...

Sorry about the rerun...

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 11 Nov 2019 23:11

Turns out that Shalamar album was not in any of the DISCO! single sleeves like I thought. So I picked up a Sylvester album and a Tim Weisberg album. The Sylvester is okay. It's only four tracks and nothing to write home about. The Tim Weisberg album talks about him working with Zappa and sounded interesting so I picked it up.
IMG_20191111_170540.jpg
Tim Weisberg - Self Titled - 1972
(112.11 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
IMG_20191111_170550.jpg
Sylvester - Stars - 1979
(117 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 11 Nov 2019 23:31

Ordered the 2016 re-releases of Michael Jackson’s Bad and Thriller on Amazon. Haven’t bought a brand new record since the 1980’s.

Last Saturday there was a used record Garage sale where I found a mint- “Magical Mystery Tour” for $12, a mint- “Meet The Beatles” (which turns out to be a 1978 reissue) for $8. Also a Blue Note mint copy of “Jimmy Smith's Greatest Hits“ for $8. They threw in a VG+ “Crosby Stills and NASH” for free since the jacket was split wide open and also a free “Deja Vu” which looks like VG++ media and cover that was covered in dust.

So I spent a lot of money (for me) on records but I enjoy all of them.

These are the first Beatles albums I have ever owned, and at 67 I was definitely there when the Beatles came along.

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 12 Nov 2019 01:04

Awesome! Glad to see you moving in the vinyl direction. Beatles are a good start.
Enjoy the vinyl experience.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 12 Nov 2019 12:53

wblynch...sometimes you just gotta break the fragile bank...been there, always relieved it was a good day...
Happy Tuesday!

wblynch
United States of America

Post by wblynch » 12 Nov 2019 16:18

DasherF wrote:
12 Nov 2019 12:53
wblynch...sometimes you just gotta break the fragile bank...been there, always relieved it was a good day...
Happy Tuesday!
Haha. True. But I have been having pretty good luck finding nice stuff at the $1 second hand store. Spending $60 on only 7 records kills. 🤣

But it’s worth it to get great copies of titles you really like.

Paff

Post by Paff » 12 Nov 2019 17:49

DasherF wrote:
10 Nov 2019 01:03
I bought this record a few years ago, solely due to the fact that LA punkers The Dickies do a pretty good cover of "See My Way". I was pleasantly surprised to find they (The Dickies) didn't have to change it up too much to turn it into a punk song; I love finding 60s records where the roots of the eventual punk style were already showing up.

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 12 Nov 2019 20:36

Nice! I played it that night...David at Record Spot was telling me about the horns on the record...didn't remember that, so I had to hear it...

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 13 Nov 2019 03:22

This one:
trio palabras.jpg
(41.35 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
and this one is coming!
mozart k.361.jpg
(140.93 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 13 Nov 2019 22:44

Ahhh I'm so excited that I found this today at work! I finally have a copy of Tubular Bells. I also found a mahavishnu orchestra album!. This day has been great. I no longer need crutches and can sleep without my boot,my weight restrictions are lifted, and I found two shiny Pokemon while playing Pokemon Go!
IMG_20191113_163356.jpg
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Between Nothingness and Eternity - 1973
(265.69 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
IMG_20191113_163408.jpg
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - 1973
(166.58 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

DasherF
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 13 Nov 2019 23:11

td, yeah, getting that boot off is a blessing... those records, just icing on the cake! PM me, I missed it. What happened to your foot?

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 13 Nov 2019 23:12

truedeth wrote:
13 Nov 2019 22:44
Ahhh I'm so excited that I found this today at work! I finally have a copy of Tubular Bells. I also found a mahavishnu orchestra album!. This day has been great. I no longer need crutches and can sleep without my boot,my weight restrictions are lifted, and I found two shiny Pokemon while playing Pokemon Go!
Good news on the return to health 8)

I'm afraid 'Tubular Bells' was played to death in my early days, I don't think I could listen to it ever again ! [-X :mrgreen:

Chris

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 14 Nov 2019 02:32

DasherF wrote:
13 Nov 2019 23:11
td, yeah, getting that boot off is a blessing... those records, just icing on the cake! PM me, I missed it. What happened to your foot?
I had a small bone removed from my foot. I guess some people are born with an extra bone in their feet! I rolled my ankle last November and a bump appeared! It hurt all the time. 1 out of 10, (10 being the worst) and when I rolled my ankle again, the ankle pain was gone but the bump remained painful. Turns out it was that extra bone. It somehow got tangled in my tendon and muscle, so I got it removed. Foot feels fantastic now. Boot remaining in use for six more weeks.
Bluesnote wrote:
13 Nov 2019 23:12

Good news on the return to health 8)

I'm afraid 'Tubular Bells' was played to death in my early days, I don't think I could listen to it ever again ! [-X :mrgreen:

Chris
In vinyl news, my Tubular Bells was so noisy I had to buy another copy on Discogs. It's easy to not care all that much when you only pay a quarter per album at work, but some albums are meant to be listened to in quality. The whole thing was played to death?? That's a lot of album to overplay!☠️
Attachments
accessory_navicular_syndrome.jpg
Accessory navicular bone, right foot diagram
(94.92 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Bluesnote
Australia

Post by Bluesnote » 14 Nov 2019 02:47

truedeth wrote:
14 Nov 2019 02:32

In vinyl news, my Tubular Bells was so noisy I had to buy another copy on Discogs. It's easy to not care all that much when you only pay a quarter per album at work, but some albums are meant to be listened to in quality. The whole thing was played to death?? That's a lot of album to overplay!☠️
It's still one to have in your collection for sure. . .
Back in the day it was a must have alongside 'Dark side of the Moon', 'Days of Future Past', 'Harvest', etc. these were played Ad infanitum wherever - I guess I had my fill. They still form part of my collection but rarely played. . .

Chris