DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Did you buy any Vinyl today?

Post by DarthMaul » 20 Aug 2019 21:51

Gravitar8 wrote:
18 Aug 2019 15:11
Afraid to ask what a bad price is on that Beatles LP... is this an investment or will be regularly played LP?
SpyderTracks wrote:
17 Aug 2019 18:07
DarthMaul wrote:
17 Aug 2019 16:37
Here's my most recent purchases:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WITH-THE-BEATL ... 2749.l2649
Look at the images!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-F-PAILLARD-L ... 2749.l2649
There's only one image for this listing. I hope the record is better than my first copy.
That With the Beatles copy looks superb! Nice find! Good price too.
More of an investment. Not going to be regularly played. This one turned out to not be a bad copy. As a matter of fact, it's quite clean sounding, and a first pressing on top of it. I tested it with my Thorens turntable but will use my SL-1200MK2 for it, as my previous Beatles plays were done on it. I tested the inner tracks, and there was no distortion or sibilance of any amount that I could hear so far. On top of this, the start of "It Won't Be Long" was clean sounding. No crackle at the start of the record. The record may have all of its original sound quality. I said "may have" because I haven't given it a full play yet. Going to get a different table for my SL-1200 or put it on top of my glass shelf for stability. I do not want to move my Thorens turntable so I don't go through the throes of setup again. I did not test it before I cleaned it.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 20 Aug 2019 22:10

I just got this E-bay purchase delivered this morning...
It's the very earliest Brubeck recordings on the Fantasy label all recorded from 1948- 1956.... in a 3 LP boxed set released in 1980. All recorded and pressed in mono of course.
https://www.discogs.com/Dave-BrubeckDav ... se/3894851

Some are even before the advent of Paul Desmond and some of the very earliest with him also contain other musicians

All tracks contain various musicians and instruments, except side six which is just Dave' s solo piano for the whole side.
It contains tracks by The Dave Brubeck Octec, The DB Trio, and the early DB quartet.

It's interesting to see how Dave and Paul had progressed together in later years after these early recordings .

Anyway....
There are a few of this release available on line, but I got this copy as it was listed as NM by an E-bay dealer with great feed back. It indeed NM. It looks and sounds like it has never been played. There is not a single mark on all six sides and no groove noise. Even the included booklet is NM :)
It was well worth the $10 that I paid for it and is a great addition to my Brubeck collection .
00BD_EFxxx1111.jpg
(182.6 KiB) Downloaded 194 times

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 21 Aug 2019 16:40

Bought some more vinyl yesterday!! I got two things from off of amazon, 'P!nk's album 'Can't Take Me Home )on gold vinyl!!(
And, the oridginal soundtrack to the 1987 fillm LA BAMBA!!
Then, I got two things from off of ebay. the one-sided LP 'Bob Kean Tells the Ritchie Valens Story (promo LP)
and, a 1987 radio show from the famous radio series 'Solid Gold Scrapbook. It has RITCHIE VALENS on it too!!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Aug 2019 17:10

Mrs Ritchie Valens wrote:
21 Aug 2019 16:40
Bought some more vinyl yesterday!! I got two things from off of amazon, 'P!nk's album 'Can't Take Me Home )on gold vinyl!!(
Then, I got two things from off of ebay. the one-sided LP 'Bob Kean Tells the Ritchie Valens Story (promo LP)
and, a 1987 radio show from the famous radio series 'Solid Gold Scrapbook. It has RITCHIE VALENS on it too!!
Oooh! Those sound like fun purchases, Mrs Ritchie Valens! I also love the "La Bamba" soundtrack, because my favorite guy, Brian Setzer does a scorching version of "Summertime Blues" on it! 8)

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 22 Aug 2019 15:05

Yeah, I know! I've wanted to have that soundtrack on vinyl for some time now!!
Does anyone know anything about the 'Bob Kean Tells the Ritchie Valens Story LP?

Mrs Ritchie Valens
United States of America

Post by Mrs Ritchie Valens » 22 Aug 2019 19:36

They came!! They came! They came!! I'm playing the La Bamba LP right now as I'm writing this!!

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 24 Aug 2019 20:48

Bought another Telemann record:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/312544561920

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 26 Aug 2019 20:32

Today I bought Beach Boys, Pet Sounds.

truedeth
United States of America

Post by truedeth » 28 Aug 2019 05:00

Finally got a copy of the best selling album Thriller today! It's a 1982 Carrollton Pressing, With Co-Producer Credits on the back of the sleeve.
IMG_20190827_211717.jpg
Michael Jackson - Thriller - 1982
(214.76 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

Paff

Post by Paff » 29 Aug 2019 19:17

vinyl master wrote:
21 Aug 2019 17:10
Oooh! Those sound like fun purchases, Mrs Ritchie Valens! I also love the "La Bamba" soundtrack, because my favorite guy, Brian Setzer does a scorching version of "Summertime Blues" on it! 8)

Los Lobos and Brian Setzer are no slouches, but my favorite part of that ST is Marshall Crenshaw's rendition of Buddy Holly's "Crying, Waiting, Hoping"

Holly only ever recorded a solo acoustic version of that song, so it's pretty unlikely it got played in Clear Lake, or ever, with a full band live.

mrjaffa
Great Britain

Post by mrjaffa » 29 Aug 2019 19:35

Visited a local vinyl shop today for the first time ever.

Bought a used copy of John Lennon Collection (£8), Buring Heart single from the Rocky movies (£4) and a new copy of Raconteurs latest album.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Aug 2019 01:58

Paff wrote:
29 Aug 2019 19:17
vinyl master wrote:
21 Aug 2019 17:10

Los Lobos and Brian Setzer are no slouches, but my favorite part of that ST is Marshall Crenshaw's rendition of Buddy Holly's "Crying, Waiting, Hoping"

Holly only ever recorded a solo acoustic version of that song, so it's pretty unlikely it got played in Clear Lake, or ever, with a full band live.
Huge Marshall Crenshaw fan here, too, and he's from my backyard here in Detroit! Guys like Marshall Crenshaw and Donnie Iris owe a lot to Buddy Holly's influence!

snavarre
United States of America

Post by snavarre » 30 Aug 2019 15:08

I love shopping the thrift stores for vinyl treasures. Yesterday's finds.

Goodwill: Been looking for this one for a while. "Also Sprach Zarathustra", baby!
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-z7J ... Qgr-X2.jpg

ARC: I'm a big 80's new wave fan so was totally pumped to find these too. A-ha "Take on Me", Men Without Hats "Safety Dance" and Kajagoogoo "Too Shy"

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kB3 ... SPK-XL.jpg

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 30 Aug 2019 15:46

snavarre wrote:
30 Aug 2019 15:08
I love shopping the thrift stores for vinyl treasures. Yesterday's finds.

Goodwill: Been looking for this one for a while. "Also Sprach Zarathustra", baby!
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-z7J ... Qgr-X2.jpg

ARC: I'm a big 80's new wave fan so was totally pumped to find these too. A-ha "Take on Me", Men Without Hats "Safety Dance" and Kajagoogoo "Too Shy"

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-kB3 ... SPK-XL.jpg
There are so many great Deodato songs, snavarre! 8) =D>

You should also check out the follow-ups "Deodato 2", "Very Together", "Love Island", "Night Cruiser" and "Happy Hour"...Lots of great tunes and fantastic jazz-funk on each of those! :D

He's all over my favorite Kool & The Gang tracks, too! Enjoy hunting down the rest of his catalogue! :wink:

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 30 Aug 2019 16:24

I've gone a bit silly this month, although mostly second hand singles, but quite a few pre release albums and spur of the moment frenzies, so apologies in advance for spamming this thread!

Jonsi & Alex Somers - Riceboy Sleeps 2019 European 10th Anniversary Remaster just released today
R-14037160-1566929562-1419.jpeg.jpg
(78.39 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Sheryl Crow - Threads 2019 European just released today
R-14061263-1567166791-5667.jpeg.jpg
(124.8 KiB) Downloaded 24 times