Did you buy any Vinyl today?

name that tune
Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Did you buy any Vinyl today?

Post by Tonybro » 09 Aug 2018 17:57

^ Great album Spyder, I have an original too (JAMS LP006), mine was in a 2nd hand shop and is probably best described as VG+. Only paid a few £s for it...

Just looked on Discogs and the median price is £47! :lol:

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 09 Aug 2018 18:21

Tonybro wrote:^ Great album Spyder, I have an original too (JAMS LP006), mine was in a 2nd hand shop and is probably best described as VG+. Only paid a few £s for it...

Just looked on Discogs and the median price is £47! :lol:
Yeah, it’s not cheap now, I paid a little over that but it is a true NM which makes me very happy!

You did well to find one so cheap? How long ago did you get it?

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 09 Aug 2018 21:03

I got mine a few years ago and paid about £5. Did need a good clean though.

Great album... 8)

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 10 Aug 2018 00:46

Linda Ronstadt - Get Closer

IMO, this is a great but often overlook album by Linda.
For one thing, there are no top 40 hits on it but...it's a great mix of some rock classics and some ballads. Linda's vocals are in top form.
The album is also well produced. :)
lr_gcxxx.jpg
(156.32 KiB) Downloaded 378 times

a200user

Post by a200user » 10 Aug 2018 01:11

I bought "Happy Book" Jerry Joseph & The Jackmormons CSS-201202 3 LP Gatefold set at a thrift store today. In mint condition. Never heard of them before, nice pressing.
Attachments
aJJATJhbsmall.jpg
(605.6 KiB) Downloaded 376 times

super scope

Post by super scope » 11 Aug 2018 04:05

Pet Shop Boys..."Please"
Attachments
psb1.JPG
(36.28 KiB) Downloaded 338 times

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 11 Aug 2018 07:03

super scope wrote:Pet Shop Boys..."Please"
Remember, super scope...August 12th is National Vinyl Record Day, so there will be plenty of "opportunities" to buy more vinyl! :lol:

I kid you not, a friend of a friend of mine actually went to one of our local supermarkets and bought a cake in honor of Neil Tennant's recent birthday on July 10th! That's fan dedication!! :D

By the way, if you like "Please", you should look into their last one!

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-S ... se/8322382

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JF3Gj8U0YA

It's on white vinyl, too! =D>

davidsss
long player
long player
Australia

Post by davidsss » 11 Aug 2018 14:44

Dropped into my favourite record shop today, partly because he is also a fanatical Richmond supporter (see avatar) but also to look at records.

Picked this up:

https://img.discogs.com/c5w4dbarSJH1jti ... 0.jpeg.jpg

Fred Macdowell: Mississippi Delta Blues. Mine has a different cover and looks to be a recent re-release, it is a new copy.

As a kid the first music I really listened to was about 5 tracks a friend of my brother's had. We recorded them on to a Reel to Reel tape as my father had a player. Amongst the tracks was Woman from Tokyo and Black Night by Deep Purple. So, when I saw this, I had to have it:

http://images.45cat.com/deep-purple-bla ... bros-s.jpg

It is new and a 2014 release, looks to be a re-release from the 1973 single and despite appearances is a European pressing.

DS

super scope

Post by super scope » 11 Aug 2018 17:09

vinyl master wrote:
super scope wrote:Pet Shop Boys..."Please"
Remember, super scope...August 12th is National Vinyl Record Day, so there will be plenty of "opportunities" to buy more vinyl! :lol:

I kid you not, a friend of a friend of mine actually went to one of our local supermarkets and bought a cake in honor of Neil Tennant's recent birthday on July 10th! That's fan dedication!! :D

By the way, if you like "Please", you should look into their last one!

https://www.discogs.com/Pet-Shop-Boys-S ... se/8322382

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JF3Gj8U0YA

It's on white vinyl, too! =D>
Never knew about this...thanks!

Tankist42
United States of America

Post by Tankist42 » 12 Aug 2018 15:37

I may have gone overboard at the thrift stores/flea mall/antique malls/record shops this past week!

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 14 Aug 2018 17:40

My two copies of MoFi's UD1S Bridge Over Troubled Waters arrived today (SN 0116 and 2912)

https://musicdirect.sirv.com/LMFUD1S004 ... ption=noup

Ed

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 14 Aug 2018 17:53

EdAInWestOC wrote:My two copies of MoFi's UD1S Bridge Over Troubled Waters arrived today (SN 0116 and 2912)

Ed
I’ve only recently started collecting vinyl and have seen a few mofi releases on this thread, but never really appreciated what they were. Are they really that good? Both the UDS1 and normal pressings?

This is the first I’ve heard of a UDS1 and when I saw the price of it I realised it had to be something special. Through a search I found a UK stockist with a few of their standard pressings and a couple of UDS1 releases too. If they really meet expectation then I’ll definitely pick them up!

EdAInWestOC
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by EdAInWestOC » 14 Aug 2018 20:10

SpyderTracks wrote:
EdAInWestOC wrote:My two copies of MoFi's UD1S Bridge Over Troubled Waters arrived today (SN 0116 and 2912)

Ed
I’ve only recently started collecting vinyl and have seen a few mofi releases on this thread, but never really appreciated what they were. Are they really that good? Both the UDS1 and normal pressings?

This is the first I’ve heard of a UDS1 and when I saw the price of it I realised it had to be something special. Through a search I found a UK stockist with a few of their standard pressings and a couple of UDS1 releases too. If they really meet expectation then I’ll definitely pick them up!
They are very good. In fact, they are exceptional. All you have to do is listen to one of these and you will understand why they are so desirable. And why they cost $100 USD.

On top of that they are a great investment. I have purchased two of each UD1S pressing that has been released and have 5 more on order. I keep the lower serial numbered copy for my playing and leave the second LP sealed.

I checked the resell prices on these LPs today and if I were to sell the three prior releases that I have, at the current prices listed on Discogs, I would get $1400 USD for 3 LPs that I paid $300 USD for.

I don't think that there is much of an argument at those type of resell prices. I intend to sell the entire sealed collection somewhere in the future. Over time these should only become more valuable.

Ed

PS. As far as other Mobile Fidelity pressings are concerned they can range from very good to not so great. There was another series of LPs that MoFi released back in the 1980s called the UHQR (Ultra High Quality Recording) and these are considered some of the best LPs ever produced. MoFi only made 8 of these but each is a valuable LP. I own 4 of these.

MoFi also released The Beatles Collection back in the 1980s and all 14 Beatles UK LPs are pressed on high quality vinyl, mastered at 1/2 Speed and housed in a special box. Collectors are hot and cold on these pressings because MoFi was true to the master tapes and did not apply any equalization. In short, the LPs sound just like the master tapes.

Some collectors consider that to be a mistake because some of the earlier Beatles albums needed a bit of equalization to sound their best. What MoFi did achieve is LPs with the Beatles vocals to be as pure and natural as you can possibly buy. Its depends on your point of view. Nonetheless, I paid $300 for that collection back in the 1980s and it is currently selling for more than $1000 USD.

Other than that MoFi pressed their early LPs on something called Super Vinyl and that vinyl is very quiet and resists any wear. What you will get on an early MoFi pressing is a very quiet LP with full fidelity intact.

When you ask about MoFi you will get a range of responses. It is in style to bad mouth MoFi just like people like to bad mouth Microsoft. MoFi was the first Audiophile Label and they are regularly made fun of but their LPs are an investment.

In spite of people bad mouthing MoFi you will find that their LPs have a very healthy resell value. MoFi is a premium label that is high on most collectors list. Some of their pressings rate as among the best produced. Back in the 1980s, when regular pressings were of poor quality, MoFi became very successful.

Good Luck with your collecting.
Last edited by EdAInWestOC on 14 Aug 2018 20:26, edited 1 time in total.

SpyderTracks
Great Britain

Post by SpyderTracks » 14 Aug 2018 20:14

EdAInWestOC wrote:
SpyderTracks wrote:

Ed

They are very good. In fact, they are exceptional. All you have to do is listen to one of these and you will understand why they are so desirable. And why they cost $100 USD.

On top of that they are a great investment. I have purchased two of each UD1S pressing that has been released and have 5 more on order. I keep the lower serial numbered copy for my playing and leave the second LP sealed.

I checked the resell prices on these LPs today and if I were to sell the three prior releases that I have, at the current prices listed on Discogs, I would get $1400 for 3 LPs that I paid $300 for.

I don't think that there is much of an argument at those type of resell prices. I intend to sell the entire sealed collection somewhere in the future. Over time these should only become more valuable.

Ed
Thanks very much, that rather seals it for me then, a new obsessive collection forming :D

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 15 Aug 2018 02:52

Tankist42 wrote:I may have gone overboard at the thrift stores/flea mall/antique malls/record shops this past week!
Gee Tan, y'say that like it's a bad thing... looks as if you had a good day shopping.