R.I.P.

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: R.I.P.

Post by vinyl master » 12 Mar 2019 04:13

If you wanna know more about Hal Blaine's contributions to music, watch these...

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

RIP, another huge loss..they must have a heck of a band in Heaven

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Mar 2019 04:40

RIP Hal Blaine, the most important "unknown drummer" in recording history. The back beat on at least one of the albums you love, backed many individual stars and groups as the busiest session drummer in the 'biz. Of natural causes at home, aged 90....thanks Hal, and R.I.P. :cry:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: RIP, another huge loss..they must have a heck of a band in Heaven

Post by vinyl master » 13 Mar 2019 19:41

Probably would be, but just to mention...Hal Blaine was quite a significant, accomplished musician...He played on all of my favorite Fifth Dimension cuts, as well as hits from Simon & Garfunkel, The Carpenters, The Captain & Tennille, The Monkees, John Denver, The Mamas & The Papas, The Beach Boys, Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass, Paul Revere & The Raiders, The Association, The Byrds, Glen Campbell, The Grass Roots, America and many, many more artists! Here are some of the man's own favorite highlights...

https://www.musicradar.com/news/drums/t ... ime-450846

R.I.P. to one of the best AND most prolific drummers EVER! :(

Go watch the "Wrecking Crew" documentary, too...And don't forget about Joe Osborn, who we also lost back in December!

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 13 Mar 2019 22:27

You know, it occurs to me with this news.. that I do not recall the first time I heard of Hal Blaine. Which pretty much means I've been aware of his drumming for as long as I can remember (and thus pretty much to the start of myself learning rudiments).

A legend indeed, and will truly be missed.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 16 Mar 2019 12:41

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/ ... 2019-03-15

Terry’s interview with Hal

R.I.P.

Fred

ChrisLovesRock
United States of America

Post by ChrisLovesRock » 18 Mar 2019 07:14

Dick Dale just died. :(

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dic ... 20933.html

Huge loss. RIP.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 18 Mar 2019 07:40

I have that "King Of The Surf Guitar" album...I also have a picture sleeve of this song from the film, "Back To The Beach"...R.I.P. to the both of them! :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Mar 2019 06:24

Another legend, but a legend in Detroit R&B circles has also passed...You might recall me finding this 45' at my local outdoor antique market...

And so...Today I find out that the great Andre Williams has passed away at the age of 82...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/ra ... ailsignout

This was probably his biggest "hit", if you can call it that...

Risque, maybe for the time, but a lesson all the child predators out there could take to heart...Stay away from the "jail bait" or you'll pay the price! [-X

This was another one, a hit on the Fortune label...

R.I.P. to the man known as "Mr. Rhythm"... :(

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 22 Mar 2019 06:33

Here are a couple more from him...We may all be in the end, as he says "just dirt"...

..but we can never give up...

cafe_liegeois
Germany

Post by cafe_liegeois » 25 Mar 2019 13:03

Scott Walker

So sad.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Post by andybeau » 27 Mar 2019 19:59

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 04 Apr 2019 06:53

And yet another one...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/ro ... ailsignout

R.I.P. Billy...

philbrown
United States of America

Post by philbrown » 14 Apr 2019 23:57

vinyl master wrote:
13 Mar 2019 19:41
Lots snipped
Go watch the "Wrecking Crew" documentary, too...And don't forget about Joe Osborn, who we also lost back in December!
I've got a little time so here goes. My career covered the end of "The Wrecking Crew" (a term NEVER used in period) and the start of the next and I was a record collector so I knew about the guys before TWC, because there were guys before TWC. And they were pretty f*****g good.
These guys were called first call players because they were the first guys you called. And TWC were called first call because in their time they were first calls.
And who was the first call drummer before Hal?
Earl Palmer.
They haven't made a film about Earl, or I don't think they have, but they should. You're been entertained by Earl's work thousands of times over the years. Hear a Fats Domino record from the 50s? Earl. How about Little Richard? Yup. All those great New Orleans records had Earl drumming.
Then he moved to LA and played on everything. I'm sure there's a list somewhere. Look it up. It will blow your mind.
And there were guys after Hal. Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner for instance.
Hal wrote a book and Tommy Tedesco's son made the movie and there was film to see. But no film in the 50s. Wouldn't you like to see a Little Richard session produced by Bumps Blackwell? I would. And then we'd be posting about Earl because he was everything Hal was and, in my opinion, more.
Phil Brown

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 15 Apr 2019 10:53

philbrown wrote:
14 Apr 2019 23:57
vinyl master wrote:
13 Mar 2019 19:41
Lots snipped
I've got a little time so here goes. My career covered the end of "The Wrecking Crew" (a term NEVER used in period) and the start of the next and I was a record collector so I knew about the guys before TWC, because there were guys before TWC. And they were pretty f*****g good.
These guys were called first call players because they were the first guys you called. And TWC were called first call because in their time they were first calls.
And who was the first call drummer before Hal?
Earl Palmer.
They haven't made a film about Earl, or I don't think they have, but they should. You're been entertained by Earl's work thousands of times over the years. Hear a Fats Domino record from the 50s? Earl. How about Little Richard? Yup. All those great New Orleans records had Earl drumming.
Then he moved to LA and played on everything. I'm sure there's a list somewhere. Look it up. It will blow your mind.
And there were guys after Hal. Jim Gordon and Jim Keltner for instance.
Hal wrote a book and Tommy Tedesco's son made the movie and there was film to see. But no film in the 50s. Wouldn't you like to see a Little Richard session produced by Bumps Blackwell? I would. And then we'd be posting about Earl because he was everything Hal was and, in my opinion, more.
Phil Brown
Very interesting, Phil...I know about all those guys, since I have a habit of reading liner notes, which more people should...But, also...Carol Kaye knows about Earl Palmer...You might want to have a look at our other thread here, as well...Another name that people have forgotten, but she was and STILL IS also prolific!

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 1&t=111387

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 May 2019 20:54

I am sad to report that we lost Doris Day this morning.

http://www.legacy.com/news/celebrity-de ... and-singer

Phil