R.I.P.

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: R.I.P.

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 18:47

Definitely one of the Hollywood legends! R.I.P. Dear Lady!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 18:56

I just loved her and she was one of the funniest women, too! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 19:20

Here are a few more great moments from her...

There will CERTAINLY never be another Carol Channing, at least in our lifetimes! Again, rest in peace, dear lady! :(

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 21 Jan 2019 01:41

Hi vinyl master,

Thanks for the reply. I may be a bit more “political” than you. I was afraid I might be getting close to a strike.

By the way I saw Pleasantville on the recomendation of a young lady college of mine. I did not like the movie and found it to be disturbing. I guess what bothered me was the thought that she coud be OK with the values portrayed in the movie.

Phil
vinyl master wrote:
16 Jan 2019 11:56
Coffee Phil wrote:
15 Jan 2019 19:19

This isn't just music. For those of us who were fortunate enough to have had a decent young life it is sometimes a shock to discover upsetting things in our history. I do believe that our nation has been getting better (until recently) since before I was born. What does "Make America Great AGAIN" mean? When was that?

Phil
Oh, you remember, Phil...The time when gas and milk were BOTH under $2.00 a gallon, Bing Crosby was the most beloved man on the radio, kids tuned into "Leave It To Beaver" religiously and everyone wished they had parents like June and Ward Cleaver! Or maybe we all had dogs like "Lassie" and wished June Lockhart was our mother! In any case, I don't know if such a time of ignorant bliss ever existed, except on the big and small screens! If you want to see an interesting movie about going back to the "black-and-white 50's", watch a little film called "Pleasantville", starring Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon...Eventually the supposedly tame 50's would give way to the politically-charged and "free love" landscape of the 60's and things would never be the same...

Now, while I don't get too political, I've been noticing a disturbing trend...Those of us who have been around a long time will have seen the changes in society...Now while you could say that J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" back in the 80's was a conniving, greedy SOB, people somehow still liked to watch him and the "Who shot J.R.?" cliffhanger was one of the most watched episodes in TV history...We're seeing this come full circle in reality, although if the real J.R. Ewing were alive today, he might either be a friend of the president or affected by the "Me Too" movement somehow...That type of unbridled ambition and power prevalent in the 80's might be his downfall today...Now while "Dallas" was a TV show about the rich (My dad was a fan!), we're living in a different time...And judging by recent events, "making America vulgar again" or "making America petty again" has never seemed so in fashion...I could be wrong and the common everyday people of this great country are way more compassionate, hard-working and generous than I'm giving them credit for...In that case, I fully apologize...I do wish there was a little more give-and-take, though...When I am wrong about something, I will fully admit it...If I screw up, it's on me! Why can't more of us admit that instead of bullying others into submission? "My way or the highway" seems to the motto of more and more people, but it assumes that only one way is correct and that is YOUR way or MY way, whereas if we really did some soul searching, we might find that nothing could be further from the truth...All I'm saying is that a little more balance and introspection wouldn't hurt any of us...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 21 Jan 2019 05:36

Coffee Phil wrote:
21 Jan 2019 01:41
Hi vinyl master,

Thanks for the reply. I may be a bit more “political” than you. I was afraid I might be getting close to a strike.

By the way I saw Pleasantville on the recomendation of a young lady college of mine. I did not like the movie and found it to be disturbing. I guess what bothered me was the thought that she coud be OK with the values portrayed in the movie.

Phil
It's an interesting film...I don't recommend it for those under 13 and there are scenes that might not be fit for everybody, but it does show that the world in black-and-white was not necessarily as great as people made it out to be and that the one constant thing in this world is change...That and death and taxes, as ol' Ben Franklin used to say...

Of course, Don Knotts was in it, and ever since "The Apple Dumpling Gang", I'll always watch something...anything...if Don Knotts is in it...just because he's...well...Don Knotts! 8-[

RockerFrank
Finland

Post by RockerFrank » 21 Jan 2019 12:18

josephazannieri wrote:
13 Jan 2019 06:53
The McGuire Sisters' version is a nice, workmanlike, expensive job, with additional male parts to cover for their three parts. It is certainly not half as embarrassing as Pat Boone's censored covers of Little Richard (Tutti-Frutti), Bill Haley's expurgated cover of Big Joe Turner(Shake, Rattle and Roll), or the Crew Cuts' insipid covers of black groups such as the Chords (Sh-Boom). There is a big difference between borrowing a hit song such as "Piece of My Heart" several years after the original (Erma Franklin) has faded from sight, and jumping on the song immediately to steal sales from the original artist.
As a lifelong fan of 50s rock'n'roll I would never mention Bill Haley in the Pat Boone context. Haley and his Comets were the tightest rock'n'roll group there's ever been. To this day. So he changed some lyrics, big deal. The original lyrics were rather obnoxious anyway.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2019 13:50

Just so you know, guys...We have also lost a very prolific composer whose songs you might remember...the Frenchman Michel Legrand!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/celebri ... ailsignout

He composed such nuggets as these great tunes...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2019 13:51

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 26 Jan 2019 13:52