R.I.P.

name that tune
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: R.I.P.

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jan 2019 05:26

For adding YouTube links, Phil...Copy and paste the bit of code on the YouTube page...Everything after the = in the link...For example, if the link is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8hUzvL1qI

Hit the YouTube button at the top right corner of your post in "Full Editor"...You will see this...

[youtube][/youtube]

Place the bit of code here... hR8hUzvL1qI ...in between [youtube][/youtube]

and voila! You have this! :D

As the sisters say, "It's time to go"...Hope that helps and PRACTICE does make perfect! :wink:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 09 Jan 2019 09:09

Hi vinyl master,

Thanks! I’ll have to practice this after I get some sleep.

After watching the video which you imbeded an interview of Phylis Mcguire with Barbara Walters came up. I never knew or forgot about her affair with the mafia boss. When I hear them sing however I can’t help but set that aside.

Their music is the comfort food of music.

Tomarrow I’ll have to get some pot roast!

Phil

:twisted:
vinyl master wrote:
09 Jan 2019 05:26
For adding YouTube links, Phil...Copy and paste the bit of code on the YouTube page...Everything after the = in the link...For example, if the link is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR8hUzvL1qI

Hit the YouTube button at the top right corner of your post in "Full Editor"...You will see this...

[youtube][/youtube]

Place the bit of code here... hR8hUzvL1qI ...in between [youtube][/youtube]

and voila! You have this! :D

As the sisters say, "It's time to go"...Hope that helps and PRACTICE does make perfect! :wink:

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 09 Jan 2019 12:21

Unfortunately Hollywood starlets and beautiful singers had lot of unwanted attention from mob types and they often wouldn't take no for an answer such as in this famous case of Lana Turner. In this case Sean Connery was a stand-up guy who came to the rescue, but it didn't end there.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/07/ ... -end-well/

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 09 Jan 2019 19:48

Hi Tinkaroo,

I remember the incident where Lana Turner's daughter killed the creepy boyfriend, but I was not aware of the earlier incident with Sean Connery. Thanks for the link.

Here is the interview of Phyllis McGuire by Barbara Walters:

Thanks vinyl master, it worked.

Apparently Phyllis was a very skilled business woman as she became stinking rich. She claimed it did not come from the gangster boyfriend.

Phil

Tinkaroo wrote:
09 Jan 2019 12:21
Unfortunately Hollywood starlets and beautiful singers had lot of unwanted attention from mob types and they often wouldn't take no for an answer such as in this famous case of Lana Turner. In this case Sean Connery was a stand-up guy who came to the rescue, but it didn't end there.

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/07/ ... -end-well/

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 13 Jan 2019 06:53

Yo historians:

Unfortunately, the McGuire Sisters were caught up in the corrupt '50's practice of "covering" hit records, usually by black artists, to steal sales. The real victim in the case of "Sincerely" was the composer, Harvey Fuqua, who had to share composer credit with the vampire Alan Freed, who promoted the music aggressively, while always cutting off a piece for himself. As part composer, Freed was able to get paid every time he played the record, while taking his cut out of the artist's end. The "pop" radio disc jockeys, such as Martin Block and William B. Williams, played the McGuire Sisters rather than the Moonglows, at least partly because their playlists were racially segregated, and because of this, the McGuire Sisters wound up stealing most of the song's sales. As the composer Harvey did share in some of the revenues from airplay and record sales, but the Moonglows lost a lot of sales that they might have had if theirs had been the only version. The McGuire Sisters' version is a nice, workmanlike, expensive job, with additional male parts to cover for their three parts. It is certainly not half as embarrassing as Pat Boone's censored covers of Little Richard (Tutti-Frutti), Bill Haley's expurgated cover of Big Joe Turner(Shake, Rattle and Roll), or the Crew Cuts' insipid covers of black groups such as the Chords (Sh-Boom). There is a big difference between borrowing a hit song such as "Piece of My Heart" several years after the original (Erma Franklin) has faded from sight, and jumping on the song immediately to steal sales from the original artist.

Chuck Berry woke up one morning to discover that he was sharing composer credit for "Maybelline" with Alan Freed in New York, and Russ Fratto in Philadelphia. In his book, The Autobiography, Berry says:

"Sharing "Maybelline" with Freed and Fratto made me most acutely aware of this practice. I just recovered the rights to "Maybelline" in 1986, some thirty years later. The loss was two-thirds of the total, or twice as much as the royalties that I received from "Maybelline" for years".

Chuck Berry, The Autobiography, (New York, Simon & Schuster 1987) p.119.

And with that rant, no discredit to the sisters, who I think may have been innocent victims of a corrupt record industry practice, I retreat, like Dracula, into my coffin, with a wish of good luck to all, including McGuire Sisters fans, from that old chronicler of corrupt practices,

Joe Z.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 15 Jan 2019 14:38

We have lost Carol Channing to natural causes at 97. I will miss her unique voice and wit.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 54725.html

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Post by Tinkaroo » 15 Jan 2019 16:18

circularvibes wrote:
15 Jan 2019 14:38
We have lost Carol Channing to natural causes at 97. I will miss her unique voice and wit.

Yes she was a great entertainer and funny lady who will be missed. Definitely one of a kind which is rare in show business.

Ottermel
Canada

Post by Ottermel » 15 Jan 2019 18:36

Just 16 days short of 98!
A great lady and a wonderful person with such verve!!
Will miss her!

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Jan 2019 19:01

My wife and I saw her about 45 years ago in Reno. She was a delightful lady and a great entertainer.

RIP Carol.

Phil
circularvibes wrote:

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Jan 2019 19:19

Hi Joe,

Thanks for making us aware. I knew that this sort of thing occurred in Jazz and Rock and Roll, but was unaware that it was an issue with the sort of music which the McGuire Sisters did.

This isn't just music. For those of us who were fortunate enough to have had a decent young life it is sometimes a shock to discover upsetting things in our history. I do believe that our nation has been getting better (until recently) since before I was born. What does "Make America Great AGAIN" mean? When was that?

Phil
josephazannieri wrote:
13 Jan 2019 06:53
Yo historians:

Unfortunately, the McGuire Sisters were caught up in the corrupt '50's practice of "covering" hit records, usually by black artists, to steal sales. The real victim in the case of "Sincerely" was the composer, Harvey Fuqua, who had to share composer credit with the vampire Alan Freed, who promoted the music aggressively, while always cutting off a piece for himself. As part composer, Freed was able to get paid every time he played the record, while taking his cut out of the artist's end. The "pop" radio disc jockeys, such as Martin Block and William B. Williams, played the McGuire Sisters rather than the Moonglows, at least partly because their playlists were racially segregated, and because of this, the McGuire Sisters wound up stealing most of the song's sales. As the composer Harvey did share in some of the revenues from airplay and record sales, but the Moonglows lost a lot of sales that they might have had if theirs had been the only version. The McGuire Sisters' version is a nice, workmanlike, expensive job, with additional male parts to cover for their three parts. It is certainly not half as embarrassing as Pat Boone's censored covers of Little Richard (Tutti-Frutti), Bill Haley's expurgated cover of Big Joe Turner(Shake, Rattle and Roll), or the Crew Cuts' insipid covers of black groups such as the Chords (Sh-Boom). There is a big difference between borrowing a hit song such as "Piece of My Heart" several years after the original (Erma Franklin) has faded from sight, and jumping on the song immediately to steal sales from the original artist.

Chuck Berry woke up one morning to discover that he was sharing composer credit for "Maybelline" with Alan Freed in New York, and Russ Fratto in Philadelphia. In his book, The Autobiography, Berry says:

"Sharing "Maybelline" with Freed and Fratto made me most acutely aware of this practice. I just recovered the rights to "Maybelline" in 1986, some thirty years later. The loss was two-thirds of the total, or twice as much as the royalties that I received from "Maybelline" for years".

Chuck Berry, The Autobiography, (New York, Simon & Schuster 1987) p.119.

And with that rant, no discredit to the sisters, who I think may have been innocent victims of a corrupt record industry practice, I retreat, like Dracula, into my coffin, with a wish of good luck to all, including McGuire Sisters fans, from that old chronicler of corrupt practices,

Joe Z.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 11:56

Coffee Phil wrote:
15 Jan 2019 19:19

This isn't just music. For those of us who were fortunate enough to have had a decent young life it is sometimes a shock to discover upsetting things in our history. I do believe that our nation has been getting better (until recently) since before I was born. What does "Make America Great AGAIN" mean? When was that?

Phil
Oh, you remember, Phil...The time when gas and milk were BOTH under $2.00 a gallon, Bing Crosby was the most beloved man on the radio, kids tuned into "Leave It To Beaver" religiously and everyone wished they had parents like June and Ward Cleaver! Or maybe we all had dogs like "Lassie" and wished June Lockhart was our mother! In any case, I don't know if such a time of ignorant bliss ever existed, except on the big and small screens! If you want to see an interesting movie about going back to the "black-and-white 50's", watch a little film called "Pleasantville", starring Tobey Maguire and Reese Witherspoon...Eventually the supposedly tame 50's would give way to the politically-charged and "free love" landscape of the 60's and things would never be the same...

Now, while I don't get too political, I've been noticing a disturbing trend...Those of us who have been around a long time will have seen the changes in society...Now while you could say that J.R. Ewing on "Dallas" back in the 80's was a conniving, greedy SOB, people somehow still liked to watch him and the "Who shot J.R.?" cliffhanger was one of the most watched episodes in TV history...We're seeing this come full circle in reality, although if the real J.R. Ewing were alive today, he might either be a friend of the president or affected by the "Me Too" movement somehow...That type of unbridled ambition and power prevalent in the 80's might be his downfall today...Now while "Dallas" was a TV show about the rich (My dad was a fan!), we're living in a different time...And judging by recent events, "making America vulgar again" or "making America petty again" has never seemed so in fashion...I could be wrong and the common everyday people of this great country are way more compassionate, hard-working and generous than I'm giving them credit for...In that case, I fully apologize...I do wish there was a little more give-and-take, though...When I am wrong about something, I will fully admit it...If I screw up, it's on me! Why can't more of us admit that instead of bullying others into submission? "My way or the highway" seems to the motto of more and more people, but it assumes that only one way is correct and that is YOUR way or MY way, whereas if we really did some soul searching, we might find that nothing could be further from the truth...All I'm saying is that a little more balance and introspection wouldn't hurt any of us...

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 16 Jan 2019 17:24

circularvibes wrote:

Indeed, she certainly made a name for herself, and I'm sure will never be forgotten.
I've got three copies (2 in stereo, one in mono) of the original 1964 album "Hello Dolly" and to me it's one of the best musicals of all time.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 18:31

Speaking of that, here's the great Carol Channing in her prime!

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 18:33

One of her greatest acting performances was in the film, "Alice In Wonderland" from 1985...

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 16 Jan 2019 18:44

And of course...One of her most famous lines was one word...