R.I.P.

name that tune
AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: R.I.P.

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 07 Jun 2019 02:58

Thank you for this trip down Memory Lane vinyl master! So many recognized, popular and inspired songs that I've grown up with.....and surprisingly, have not a single recording of....I will have to correct that immediately. Not many artists of his caliber and influence.A great void has been created by his passing. Thank you, and R.I.P Dr. John! :(

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2019 03:18

Finally, here's a piece of life advice we all should heed from that same album...

As the man hisself says...

"Facts of life come
Down to common sense
Now what you don't learn in school
You might learn from experience
Hard knocks could
Break a head hard as wood
Open mind gonna catch anything
It understood

Gotta listen to learn
Got to learn to listen
If you ever wanna know all that stuff your missin'..."

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2019 03:34

Oh and here are some things you might not know about Dr. John...

1. Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton are just a couple of the guests featured on his 1972 album, "The Sun, Moon & Herbs".
2. The annual Bonnaroo Festival in Tennessee is named after his album, "Desitively Bonnaroo"!
3. In 1965, he moved to L.A. where he became a "first call" session musician in the Los Angeles studio scene in the 1960's and 1970's and was part of the so-called "Wrecking Crew" stable of studio musicians alongside notables like Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine and Joe Osborn.
4. He also performed on the recently passed Leon Redbone's 1988 album, "Christmas Island", as well as a few others.
5. As "Morgus & The Ghouls", he was featured (as Mac Rebennack) along with Ronnie Barron & Sid Noel on an early 45' "dead-icated" to horror host Morgus The Magnificent!
6. Dr. John sang backup on a version of "Release Me" off of "The Heights" actor ("How Do You Talk To An Angel?") Jamie Walters' first solo album.
7. That's him playing percussion on Aretha Franklin's big hit, "Rock Steady"! That same track features Donny Hathaway on electric organ and The Memphis Horns, as well as the inimitable Bernard Purdie on drums!
8. He also plays piano and organ on Carly Simon and James Taylor's hit duet of "Mockingbird"!
9. Dr. John took his stage name from Dr. John, a Senegalese prince (and medicine man and spiritual healer) who came to New Orleans from Haiti. "Gris-Gris" are voodoo amulets that protect the wearer(s) of said amulets from harm. He titled his first album "Gris-Gris" as a personal form of his own "voodoo medicine".
10. He also collaborated with Mike Bloomfield and John Paul Hammond for the 1973 album, "Triumvirate".
11. He is featured on "Let It Loose", the last song on Side Three of The Rolling Stones' acclaimed "Exile On Main Street" album!
12. He sings on the theme song for Bruce Willis' panned film, "Hudson Hawk"!
13. The PBS kids' program, "Curious George" (2006-2015) featured his original theme song!
14. Beck's hit "Loser" samples Dr. John's "I Walk On Guilded Splinters".
15. In 2018, his hometown (New Orleans) newspaper, The Times-Picayune, discovered in their records that the good Doctor was actually born on November 20, 1941 as opposed to the more commonly listed November 21, 1940. He added an extra year to his age so he could get into gigs, being an underage piano prodigy!

Wild stuff, eh? :shock:

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2019 04:21

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
07 Jun 2019 02:58
Thank you for this trip down Memory Lane vinyl master! So many recognized, popular and inspired songs that I've grown up with.....and surprisingly, have not a single recording of....I will have to correct that immediately. Not many artists of his caliber and influence.A great void has been created by his passing. Thank you, and R.I.P Dr. John! :(
Absolutely, AOR...I have a great copy of "Gris-Gris", a good place to start, but I would also look for "Dr. John's Gumbo" or his various singles...My vinyl mentor has a ton of his 45's...A lot of great stuff to dig into if you're a fan! 8)

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 07 Jun 2019 05:40

This is a sad loss for music everywhere. Dr. John could make Chopsticks funky if he set half a mind to it. I have the Right Time, Wrong Place LP that was listened to in his honour. I just ordered Gris-Gris in mono on green vinyl from Acoustic Sounds and The Brightest Smile In Town DVD Audio disc as well. They have a good chunk of the good Dr.s recordings available for those who missed out first time. I wish I could have listened to him live. There won't be any more cameos on NCIS New Orleans either.

Rest in Peace Mr. Rebennack

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Jun 2019 08:19

Oh yeah...and I almost forgot this...Dr. John was the inspiration for Jim Henson's Muppet character Dr. Teeth (Dr. Teeth & The Electric Mayhem)...

The good Doctor was also featured in this skit with John Candy...

You might want to hear this one, too...A fitting tribute from two more legends!

In any case, I hope he's closer to his home now...Rest in power, Brother Mac...

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands

Post by Japi Roelofs » 07 Jun 2019 11:04

Playing the first album The Night Tripper / Gris-gris right now. It's my late father's copy, I don't remember him ever playing it but when I was a kid I was fascinated by the album cover. A bit scary and mysterious. Good stuff.

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 09 Jun 2019 04:35

The other day shortly before I heard the news about Dr John, I had just began thinking about a few of his songs, and the four all but forgotten albums I last played when found in a 3 box deal 24 years ago, but just recently inventoried in my collection. It's probably a good time to give them another listen in memory, and also to remember some since forgotten music.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 09 Jun 2019 04:43

It's all good stuff, B! You should definitely give 'em a chance! The man had talent up to his eyeballs! =D>

Big B5515
long player
long player

Post by Big B5515 » 12 Jun 2019 17:51

vinyl master wrote:
09 Jun 2019 04:43
It's all good stuff, B! You should definitely give 'em a chance! The man had talent up to his eyeballs! =D>
+1, After pulling out the records for another spin, he's gone from forgotten to missed .

MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless » 24 Jun 2019 12:02

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jun 2019 18:49

MostlyHarmless wrote:
24 Jun 2019 12:02
Another great from N.O.

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/23/69821227 ... ead-at-100
All I can say, guys, is "Ain't that a shame?" :(

By the way, in case anyone doesn't know, it was Dave who originally wrote Chuck Berry's hit, "My Ding-A-Ling"!

Elvis Presley even recorded a couple of his songs! =D>

And then, there was this b-side to one of my Sheryl Crow singles, also co-written by Dave! 8)

A true pioneer of rock n' roll in every sense of the word and a man who won't soon be forgotten! R.I.P. :(
Last edited by vinyl master on 25 Jun 2019 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 25 Jun 2019 19:29

After suffering a massive stroke less than a week ago, Kelly Jay, early front man and writer for the Canadian band Crowbar. Stylings of a Blood Sweat and Tears, Mountain style, the band originally backed Ronnie Hawkins, but he fired them enmass as being too funky for his style of music. Most known for their hit single "What a feeling (what a rush)", they carved their own unique niche in music. Thanks for the memories and some great music Kelly. R.I.P. Passed quietly in Calgary hospital with family at his side. Remembered every time I hear that song....... :(

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 25 Jun 2019 19:48

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
25 Jun 2019 19:29
After suffering a massive stroke less than a week ago, Kelly Jay, early front man and writer for the Canadian band Crowbar. Stylings of a Blood Sweat and Tears, Mountain style, the band originally backed Ronnie Hawkins, but he fired them enmass as being too funky for his style of music. Most known for their hit single "What a feeling (what a rush)", they carved their own unique niche in music. Thanks for the memories and some great music Kelly. R.I.P. Passed quietly in Calgary hospital with family at his side. Remembered every time I hear that song....... :(
Wow, didn't know that, AOR...I have that Crowbar single, as well as others from The Stampeders, April Wine, Max Webster, Chilliwack, Doucette, Trooper, Harlequin and many other Canadian rock artists from the 70's and 80's...A sad loss, indeed! :(

johnnywalker

Post by johnnywalker » 07 Jul 2019 04:00

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/06/entertai ... index.html

Sad. One of the absolute greats, and now he's gone!