The Record Store Guide

name that tune
RobertParry

Re: The Record Store Guide

Post by RobertParry » 19 Jun 2018 19:05

Spun Out in Northampton Gold Street.

Really nice guy, good selection of used vinyl, plenty of new stuff as well!

Regards

Rob

The Blue Panther
Ireland

Post by The Blue Panther » 21 Jun 2018 20:01

sevilla.jpg
(828.16 KiB) Downloaded 875 times
I was in this shop in Seville last March. Well worth a visit if you happen to be there. Good selection of second hand 70s and 80s rock. Nice staff. It's on Calle Amor de Dios just north of the old city centre.

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 28 Jun 2018 12:14

RobertParry wrote:Spun Out in Northampton Gold Street.

Really nice guy, good selection of used vinyl, plenty of new stuff as well!

Regards

Rob
Is that where spinadisk used to be? It's been 30 years since I dared to enter the centre of Northampton

Sounder206

Post by Sounder206 » 12 Sep 2018 06:49

SEATTLE

Easy Street Records
4559 California Ave. SW
Seattle, Washington
http://www.easystreetonline.com

My go-to record store in West Seattle and the most popular in the city. Rolling Stone Magazine named it one of the best record stores in the USA in 2010. In-store performances over the years include the most legendary ones from Pearl Jam and The Sonics. In addition to the records and CDs, it’s got a full service cafe serving breakfast and lunch.

Sonic Boom Records
2209 NW Market St.
Seattle, Washington
http://www.sonicboomrecords.com

The Ballard neighborhood counterpart to Easy Street on a smaller scale, even includes a wall of cassette tapes.

Bop Street Records
2220 NW Market St.
Seattle, Washington
http://www.bopstreetrecords.com

Located right across the street from Sonic Boom Records, with over half-million records (including 10k 78s) up-and-downstairs. Specializing in vintage jazz and rock.

Sliver Platters
Multiple locations: Seattle (SoDo), Bellevue, Lynnwood
http://www.silverplatters.com

The only local mini chain of record stores with a vast selection of vinyl.

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 12 Dec 2018 19:10

As celt-rock reported last year, Burlington VT is a great vinyl town.
We have something like 7 colleges in the greater Burlington area and a lot of older hippies.
Burlington Records.
Right off Church Street (the Champs Elesees of Vermont)
Good guys- very personable. GREAT five dolla bins. Kinda small place but well worth stopping in every couple of weeks. Wide selection of used and new re-issues as well as small amount of used stereo gear.

Speaking Volumes
Off Pine Street (the unofficial hipster "arts district" of burlington)
Winfield is a good guy and has a pretty large store with a very varied collection and good prices.
He also sells used stereo gear and does repairs.
Not the neatest place but worth checking out.

Pure Pop Records
Downtown area. South Winooski Avenue.
Small underground (literally) shop with wide variety of stuff. Been here for decades. They saw the decline and rebirth of vinyl.

Very close by (five minute drive...Autumn Records in Winooski) fairly new shop. Have not been in yet. My son likes it. Very clean and "new". Some very good restaurants to check out in the area too.

Burlington is the best city in the USA. Fact.
---sensational outdoor farmers market on saturday mornings spring, summer and fall. Rocks!
---right on Lake Champlain so sailing, boating, fishing, kayaking, lake cruises, swimming...several great beaches in area
---beautiful revitalized waterfront district with awesome new free skateboard park (drop off the teens an hit the town!)
---incredible bike path runs along waterfront and links up to adjacent isalnds for many miles...awesome lake views and opportunities to take a quick swim in the summer...pretty flat so anyone can tackle any segment on any bike...rentals available at Local Motion, at King Street Ferry Dock at the waterfront/bike path.
---very vibrant downtown with lots going on
---we have an actual vinyl record manufacturing facility here too (The Record Plant, on Pine Street)!
---early June city-wide week-long Jazz Festival, from tiny free gigs to street concerts to major world-class headliners
---early fall there's an all-arts event called The Art Hop. Entire Pine Street area energizes...all the small hidden art studios have open houses...street dance...very party atmosphere and good art and music. Pretty "Ken Kesey & Pranksters at points)...good antidote to our horrible national politics.

(our apologies to the rest of the world...30-40% of our country is stark raving mad. We hope this will not affect your for too much longer). Most of us are pretty cool. (all of us in Burlington)

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 12 Dec 2018 19:22

Also another hats-off to The Telegraph, in New London CT. Great guys working hard to make New London a great city. Fairly small but very interesting shop.

While you're there, go to dinner or brunch at RD86 on 86 Golden Street very close to The Telegraph. Insanely good cooking by awesomely talented and adventurous owners (Robert Ramsey and his business partner Hannah Gant) and crew with a very socially-engaged, mentoring..and "incubator" mission. Open farmhouse tables encourage patrons interactions and the owners stop by to chat. Outdoor patio with grill/fire in season. Food is fresh as hell, creative, ever-changing and delicious. Highly recommended! Very cool enormous mural of Willie Nelson across the street.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 12 Dec 2018 19:24

Great summary of Burlington, Blackdogvinyl! I agree. I'm up there a few times a year (my in-laws live right around the corner from Speaking Volumes). I'll have to try that place in Winooski. I personally found Speaking Volumes to be a bit pricey, but have found some good things there. Definitely agree that the people who work at Burlington Records are very personable.

We considered moving up there at one point, but decided we didn't want to uproot the kids. And of course, if you're a craft beer geek (I am), there's no better place to live.

blackdogvinyl
United States of America

Post by blackdogvinyl » 20 Dec 2018 00:32

Hahaha... yeah... I forgot the microbrew aspect. There are 539 microbreweries within a 20 mile radius of Burlington.

Kidding....but not by much.

On the downside...school system sucks and taxes are high...also real estate is priced way higher than the median income can support. Details.
Hmmm....

Come to think of it...this place ain't that great.
;-)

Jonathan Vino

Post by Jonathan Vino » 23 Dec 2018 15:29

I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY right across the water from Burlington, great city!.. I used to spend a lot of time there in the early '90's. I would take the ferry over on foot (for $1) and walk around all day. Used to spend a lot of money at Pure Pop! So happy to hear that they survived and are still around!
I live down in the Albany area now, overdue for a trip up there.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 23 Dec 2018 16:24

@Jonathan Vino: I’ve made that ferry crossing many times. Our Christmas routine used to be the following:

Drive to Hartford Christmas Eve from Boston, Christmas morning drive to Peru, NY for an awesome home-cooked Christmas feast, then drive to Plattsburgh for dinner at wife’s second grandmother’s place (where everything was store bought and nobody was hungry), then take the ferry over to South Hero and drive to Burlington for a few days (all with young children in tow). It was quite a day.

Jonathan Vino

Post by Jonathan Vino » 24 Dec 2018 16:04

reynolds617 wrote:
23 Dec 2018 16:24
@Jonathan Vino: I’ve made that ferry crossing many times. Our Christmas routine used to be the following:

Drive to Hartford Christmas Eve from Boston, Christmas morning drive to Peru, NY for an awesome home-cooked Christmas feast, then drive to Plattsburgh for dinner at wife’s second grandmother’s place (where everything was store bought and nobody was hungry), then take the ferry over to South Hero and drive to Burlington for a few days (all with young children in tow). It was quite a day.
That is a lot of driving.. Sheesh. It's cold up there on Lake Champlain too. I did enjoy growing up in the North Country but always was craving more culture (concerts/art etc..) hence going over to Burlington a lot in High school. Don't get up that way very much any more. Most of my remaining family and friends have moved on.

juggerjay1975
United States of America

Post by juggerjay1975 » 17 Feb 2019 08:48

Jonathan Vino wrote:
23 Dec 2018 15:29
I grew up in Plattsburgh, NY right across the water from Burlington, great city!.. I used to spend a lot of time there in the early '90's. I would take the ferry over on foot (for $1) and walk around all day. Used to spend a lot of money at Pure Pop! So happy to hear that they survived and are still around!
I went to college at Plattsburgh State in the mid-90s! We used to take the ferry to see shows in Burlington. I remember going to Pure Pop as well.

juggerjay1975
United States of America

Post by juggerjay1975 » 17 Feb 2019 08:53

I live in Portland, ME.

My favorite record store is Enterprise Records. They have been exclusively selling LPs since the late 80s. The prices are fair and the records are CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN. Some other stores that are worth checking out are Moody Lords, Electric Buddha, Strange Maine and of course, Bull Moose.

juggerjay1975
United States of America

Post by juggerjay1975 » 17 Feb 2019 08:54

Jonathan Vino wrote:
23 Dec 2018 15:29
It was in Plattsburgh that I started my record collection. There used to be a used book/record store downtown. I can't remember the name but I bought quite a few there in the beginning.

reynolds617
United States of America

Post by reynolds617 » 18 Feb 2019 00:53

Was in Burlington over the weekend and Burlington Records appears to be moving to College St from just off of Church St (a pretty prime location). I hope that doesn’t mean they’re not doing well.