Tunes To Cry / Die By ..

name that tune
Dadimo

Post by Dadimo » 30 Sep 2010 04:23

I remember when a local radio station D.J. announced the passing of George Harrison, and then played " When we was fab" off of the Cloud Nine album. It just sounded so sad. :(

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 01 Oct 2010 00:36

The lacrimosa from Mozart's Requiem does it for me.

There was also a song my sister and mother used to sing when I was just a little tyke and I asked both of them recently what it might be and neither one can think of what it is. When I was six I was in the back of the Corvair (remember that little cubbyhole li'l kids could fit into?) and they started singing it. I asked them to stop because it was making me cry. It did every time they sang it. Now I can't find out what it was.

timspell
long player
long player

Post by timspell » 02 Oct 2010 03:12

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 02 Oct 2010 07:20

For those of you who have children, listen to the words here they are very poignant, about a busy businessman Dad with no spare time for "quality" time... :roll:

this song is sad as i lost my Dad when i was 21, he worked dawn till dusk and could only make time for us at the weekends, we went swimming and to the park but he must have been tired. As a teenager i worked at his place on Saturdays and i worked with him full time the last few years of his life...just as well. :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un2EfjEJAOA

jake

Post by jake » 03 Oct 2010 18:06

Death & Transfiguration Richard Strauss

Great Gig in the Sky Pink Floyd

The Shostakovich 5th Largo movement, mentioned in earlier post, was performed over and over at his funeral ceremonies.

The Mahler "Songs of Death" performed by Jose Van Dam in the great European film THE MUSIC TEACHER, will take your breath away.

Of course music and death themes are entertwined, the great musicologist Nickolas Slonimsky felt that music consists entirely of elaborate methods of counting time, since humans are supposedly the only sentient creatures that are aware they will die some time, and so our time is always running out- we must needs count each moment.

fromans4

Post by fromans4 » 03 Oct 2010 21:54

What about the Henry Gross song about the dog that dies at the beach, Shannon.

sparrow
long player
long player

Post by sparrow » 03 Oct 2010 22:03

Old Shep by Hank Snow.... :cry:

newdreams

Post by newdreams » 04 Oct 2010 02:15

Gilbert O'Sullivan: Alone Again (Naturally)

Roy Orbison also wrote some pretty sad songs, e.g. It's Over, Indian Wedding, etc., along with some where love triumphs.

Then there's "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. Country has a raft of sad songs.

Dadimo

Post by Dadimo » 04 Oct 2010 02:23

I never gave this song too much thought really when I first heard it.
After my dad passed away the lyrics made all too much sense to me though... :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGDA0Hec ... re=related

E G Tipping

Sad music

Post by E G Tipping » 04 Oct 2010 16:13

Hi Chaps,
Like Mysticfred I lost my father at 21 and like fred and
Dadimo I have these two records The Mechanics with the
memories of my father who was 48. and cats in the cradle
wondering did I do enough for my son,hes 47 now and
I'm still wondering when I play them.
Also Bruchs Violin concerto
Cheer's

Tippo. :cry:

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 06 Oct 2010 21:25

Forgot about Soylent Green.....

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!"

From Wikipedia:
Music
In the film, after the aged Roth learns the truth about Soylent Green, he decides he "has lived too long," and states that he is "going home." By this, he means that he is going to sign up for government-assisted suicide. When Roth arrives at the clinic, he is asked to select a lighting scheme and a type of music for the death chamber. Roth selects orange-hued lights and "light Classical" music. When he goes to the death chamber, a selection of Classical music (Tchaikovsky, Beethoven and Grieg) plays through speakers and films are projected on large screens.
The "going home" score in this part of the film was conducted by Gerald Fried and consists of the main themes from Symphony No. 6 ("Pathétique") by Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 6 ("Pastoral") by Beethoven, and the Peer Gynt Suite ("Morning Mood" and "Åse's Death") by Edvard Grieg. As the music plays, scenes of majestic natural beauty are projected on film screens: "deer in woods, trees and leaves, sunsets beside the sea, birds flying overhead, rolling streams, mountains, fish and coral, sheep and horses, and lots and lots of flowers — from daffodils to dogwoods." Amidst the music and the scenes of nature, Roth remembers the world as it once was. Yet, he cannot peacefully take his last breath as he is pained by the beauty lost and cannot stand the awfulness of the real world. Roth struggles to tell Thorn about the secret of "Soylent Green," urging him to "prove it" before taking his dying breath.
Hmmmm......

Fred :-k :-k

HibouProfane

Post by HibouProfane » 07 Oct 2010 00:11

Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight

Leethal

Post by Leethal » 07 Oct 2010 00:35

The Smiths - That joke isnt funny anymore.
Morrissey - Angel, down we go together.

sparrow
long player
long player

Post by sparrow » 07 Oct 2010 14:17

HibouProfane wrote:Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight
A vinyl copy? My fave Marillion album of all time. 8)

Singlemania45
long player
long player
England

Post by Singlemania45 » 07 Oct 2010 15:03

For me it has to be RVW's the Lark Ascending as this was played at my Father's funeral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKz6XJlI_jk