Tunes To Cry / Die By ..

name that tune
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Tunes to Cry / Die By........

Post by fscl » 28 Sep 2010 14:19

Shocked by my first exposure to Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings used in Elephant Man, I again was almost moved to tears while watching Platoon.... :? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Though usually bouyed by BS & T's, And When I Die, GD, Black Peter for thoughts of my segue into the afterlife, figure one of these is going to be used when I peer out of the lid......:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecaden ... n-20100928

Are these the saddest?

Hmmmmm, which LP am I taking :shock: :-k 8)
"They're gonna have to pry my records from my cold, dead, fingers!"
:shock:

Sadly listening...... 8)

Fred and yes it's raining here......reflecting on Alec's signature..... 8) and boy the list above is a real downer..... 8) and thinking something on the order of a NOLA..... celebration :?: :wink:

Dadimo

Post by Dadimo » 28 Sep 2010 15:26

I agree that is a sad piece of music all by itself. The Elias death scene in Platoon was pretty sad too, what a great movie though. ( not trying to hijack thread )

backinblack

Post by backinblack » 28 Sep 2010 16:32

I've always been fond of R.E.M.'s Everbody Hurts for it's sadness. Drive can also put me in a somber mood. In fact the whole album, Automatic for the People is very....um....emotive...for me. One of the best albums of the 1990's.

majerjack

Post by majerjack » 28 Sep 2010 20:09

The Albinoni Adagio is poignant and intense (and used to good effect in the film "Gallipoli"). Richie Havens' version of Bob Dylan's "Boots of Spanish Leather" breaks my heart when I listen to it. Cat Stevens' "Father and Son" is pretty weepy. The Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" is sad, but not in a sad way, if that makes any sense.

Actually, when I start to think about it, I can think of many examples, so I will stop here: the Adagio from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, which when I first heard it as a young man caused me to weep. I first heard the Krips/LSO version, and in the booklet notes Krips ventures an interesting opinion that in this movement Beethoven confronts his own mortality, receiving his summons with the entry of the brass. Krips goes on to opine that the finale with the famous "Ode to Joy" represents Beethoven's entry into Heaven. I like happy endings.

pivot
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by pivot » 28 Sep 2010 21:25

Ah.....death songs

How about "My Baby's the Star of the Driver's Ed Movie" by Blotto???

?????????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T-vLob6AYk :P

starterwiz

Post by starterwiz » 29 Sep 2010 04:39

ELO Mama and Kuiama
Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Since I've Been Lovin' You
Crime of the Century ('cause the concert's over!)
The Stone's Fool To Cry
Mr Bojangles
Joe Walsh Daydream(Prayer)
Shine On You Crazy Diamond and The Great Gig In The Sky

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Post by mysticfred » 29 Sep 2010 07:22

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

mysticfred
long player
long player
England

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 29 Sep 2010 10:30

Virtually everything by Low fits the bill. This is a good example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWUQpvfRkVM

JT

kuan

Post by kuan » 29 Sep 2010 13:01

People react differently to different music of course. Two very moving pieces are Mascagni's Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OS65ywXWak

Farewell to Stromness by Peter Maxwell Davies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC6TJzNQaj8

PileOvinyl

Post by PileOvinyl » 29 Sep 2010 14:04

This is a tough one for me. There are songs and pieces where the intent may not be death or sadness yet after listening I feel rather melancholy.

Some examples are:

Joy Division 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'. Something deeply sad in that guys voice.

REM 'Nightswimming'

Prince 'Nothing Compares To U'

Shostakovich's 5th: Largo. That's a pretty brutal one. Sometimes when I stand in a long line at Wal-Mart I hear this one in my head.

Bruckner's 8th: Adagio. One of the most beautiful moments ever recorded. Karajan DG 1989.

Mahler's 5th: Adagietto. Supposed to be romantic, a gift to his wife, but can make me weepy.

Elgars Cello Concerto in E minor (with du Pre):
Reminds me of a vision of an uglier world approaching and to enjoy what we can until the onslaught. The first notes struck on the cello sink my heart every time.

Enrico Caruso Arias/Songs, Milan 1902-1904: Something about those scratchy tapes, his voice, and the Italian aria. Certain ones make me weepy and send me into a personal twilight zone.

Tchaikovsky Symphony 6 conducted by Mravinsky w/ Lenigrad Philharmonic. It's a Iron Curtain festival with a superfical march and saddness dripping in the end. This was Tchaikovskys farewell.

chosenhandle

Post by chosenhandle » 29 Sep 2010 19:06

I always thought Aimee Mann's "Wise Up" from the movie Magnolia was fundamentally sad....everything about it. The music, the lyrics, the tempo. So sad, yet beautiful. Guess you have to be a Aimee Mann Fan to think that.

Van Morrison's "into the mystic" is the song I want to be played at my funeral. That and Jackson Browne's "the pretender".

wintermute

Post by wintermute » 29 Sep 2010 19:56

My favorite for this is Joy Division's "Closer" LP. Great tunes, horribly depressing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJjoK2vl ... re=related

sparrow
long player
long player

Post by sparrow » 29 Sep 2010 23:33

Wind Beneath my Wings...was played at a dear friends funeral and I simply can't listen to the song without a lump in my throat.