Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
starterwiz

Post by starterwiz » 06 Jan 2010 01:05

I must have at least 10 copies of DSOTM, and quite honestly, I can't remember which one sonds better. I have a Japanese pressing, and a Mo-Fi, and doubt that I would ever spin the others.
But most imprtantly, I wouldn't spin any unless I was in such a significantly enhanced state so's it really wouldn't matter if it was the original, or played with a stylus from Walmart's nail dept. It would end up being disappointing. I'm sure the nail with a penny or two woudn't skip, and that would be the most important thing I suspect.

Post by Guest » 06 Jan 2010 15:51

I'm completely satisfied with my original Mo-Fi pressing. In fact, I thought it sounded bright until I replaced all my budget Hafler electronics.

GTH

Post by GTH » 06 Jan 2010 15:54

[quote="EdAInWestOC
It amuses me when people bad mouth the audiophile labels and talk about how great the original releases were. They must have lived in a different dimension.

Ed[/quote]

Amen to that!

GTH

Post by GTH » 06 Jan 2010 16:00

paulgolding wrote: oh, ok. Although I get the same from Eagles Hotel California too. Quite a few other records are sounding duller too :(
Really :?: , I have one of the latest re-issues of this and quite frankly it is one of the best sounding records in my collection.

tubelicht

Post by tubelicht » 06 Jan 2010 18:17

I think that record labels should know that most people who buy an LP are audiophiles. Iff i wanted bad quality i would buy the cd instead.

The cd is cheaper also, so i payed allot money for worce quality than a cd.

Some picktures from my crappy copy....

http://94.100.120.88/838000001-83805000 ... _24gH.jpeg

http://94.100.120.206/838000001-8380500 ... _AT_u.jpeg

http://94.100.122.203/838000001-8380500 ... _4SMS.jpeg

paulgolding

Post by paulgolding » 06 Jan 2010 22:54

some really interesting posts here guys. Thanks for your input :-) . . Seems mine is the normal stereo version though.

jimg

Post by jimg » 08 Jan 2010 15:27

Hi good afternoon, its just after 3.00pm here and about freezing. I have a really old copy bought new in 73/4 before i had a proper hifi. This does sound quite good but hardly the bees knees. I have recently been given an unplayed Promo copy lmtd edition no. 367 on green marble. Only played it once so far but does sound quite different to my oldie. Has a brighter balance with more top end info and a bit more detail. Not my most favorite Pinkie. A friend once had about 18/19 DSOTM,s , all different! Sold most of them now but still has my MoFi copy which he badgered out of me.
Jim

wintermute

Post by wintermute » 08 Jan 2010 16:01

jimg wrote:Hi good afternoon, its just after 3.00pm here and about freezing. I have a really old copy bought new in 73/4 before i had a proper hifi. This does sound quite good but hardly the bees knees. I have recently been given an unplayed Promo copy lmtd edition no. 367 on green marble. Only played it once so far but does sound quite different to my oldie. Has a brighter balance with more top end info and a bit more detail. Not my most favorite Pinkie. A friend once had about 18/19 DSOTM,s , all different! Sold most of them now but still has my MoFi copy which he badgered out of me.
Jim
Nice! Haven't seen that promo version before... Got picts? :) Better still, just send it to me. I'll return it, honest..<g>

Marknoir

Beg to differ

Post by Marknoir » 09 Jan 2010 03:23

brightblack wrote:Dark Side of the Moon has a strange play back history....the originals all had a dull quality to them....then when CD's came out the first issues all had the same problem...the later issues (from the last 2-3 years) they finally got it right...both CD & the new 180g issue on vinyl....

The same kinda problem happened with the first Beatles CD's until they finally got them mastered right....
Oh, I guess that is why British 1st press LP is impossible to find for any money and is considered to be the best pressing. Same goes for original Beatles Parlophones. IMHO, latest remastered Beatles CDs suck to high heaven (stereo box more than mono, bright as hell, EQd and compressed to the max volume, engineered to push the highs through any cheap system), and my opinion is supported indirectly by current price drop on stereo box to US $99... (can send a link if interested). I definitely prefer my early pressings.

As to DSOTM, it sounds just right. If you want a brighter version, go for MFSL (I have both). The only CD version that sounds good is the early Japanese "triangle" version, also nearly impossible to find at any price.

Shure cartridges, on the other hand, can sound somewhat dull to some ears.

paulgolding

Re: Beg to differ

Post by paulgolding » 09 Jan 2010 14:10

Marknoir wrote:
brightblack wrote:Dark Side of the Moon has a strange play back history....the originals all had a dull quality to them....then when CD's came out the first issues all had the same problem...the later issues (from the last 2-3 years) they finally got it right...both CD & the new 180g issue on vinyl....

The same kinda problem happened with the first Beatles CD's until they finally got them mastered right....
Oh, I guess that is why British 1st press LP is impossible to find for any money and is considered to be the best pressing. Same goes for original Beatles Parlophones. IMHO, latest remastered Beatles CDs suck to high heaven (stereo box more than mono, bright as hell, EQd and compressed to the max volume, engineered to push the highs through any cheap system), and my opinion is supported indirectly by current price drop on stereo box to US $99... (can send a link if interested). I definitely prefer my early pressings.

As to DSOTM, it sounds just right. If you want a brighter version, go for MFSL (I have both). The only CD version that sounds good is the early Japanese "triangle" version, also nearly impossible to find at any price.

Shure cartridges, on the other hand, can sound somewhat dull to some ears.
ok, thanks for the info :)

Post by Guest » 09 Jan 2010 19:38

OK...Just dug out my copy and re-played to make sure I wasn't imagining things...it sounds pretty damn good to me.

Its the re-release on 180g of the 1973 Harvest Label, pressing reference SHVL 804.

Tried it on the 401 and Gyro both using different carts and its sounds great on both. Not tinny bright, but not dull either, with a very full, clean sound. Its obviously been messed with as I know it sounds nothing like the original master tape (no hiss for one thing) but on the whole, I think they've done a good job. I have other Harvest labels of PF which are also good, one being the 1970's Meddle album and the earlier piper at the Gates of Dawn (first release), but I reckon the Dark Side of the Moon is as good as any, only really eclipsed by my CD copy of "wish you were here".

shhh...listen

Post by shhh...listen » 09 Jan 2010 21:42

Here's an excerpt from Money.
This was recorded from my MSFL copy. The playback to computer via Technics SL-1400mk1 and vintage AT-62e cartridge.

EDIT:
Correct Link to MSFL MP4

12.7Mb
http://www.adrive.com/public/7a70997840 ... d36c6.html

9.6Mb Mp3
http://www.adrive.com/public/567071b88f ... c6c4f.html

michaelwnz

Post by michaelwnz » 10 Jan 2010 12:29

How about a WAV or FLAC excerpt for purists ?

:D

Dadimo

Post by Dadimo » 10 Jan 2010 14:52

I have a copy of the MFSL version on 24 kt gold plated CD. Pretty good sounding CD I must say :wink:

shhh...listen

Post by shhh...listen » 10 Jan 2010 22:30

I have both the MSFL CD and record. The CD has great bass transients but it is more shrill sounding.

Here is a spectrograph of a segment of Money from the CD:
7171 :shock:

Same segement of music but from the Lp:
7166 :D

michaelwnz - Wave file shortly.