Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - Merged Topic

name that tune
Jagged

Post by Jagged » 16 Dec 2008 00:39

michaelwnz wrote:30th Ann. was not digitally remastered.
Ooops, you're dead right. :oops:

dudie

Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon?

Post by dudie » 19 May 2009 15:23

Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon would you recommend? I don't want anything pressed from digital masters.

Thanks for your help and time!

Axlinscotland

Re: Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon?

Post by Axlinscotland » 19 May 2009 15:53

dudie wrote:Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon would you recommend? I don't want anything pressed from digital masters.

The 30th aniversary edition that u can get at Amazon for £18 is amazing even better than later pressings or the one from acoustic sounds IMHO.

Cheers

dudie

Thanks!

Post by dudie » 19 May 2009 15:56

Thanks!

blisteringbarnacles

Post by blisteringbarnacles » 19 May 2009 16:15

I must have bad luck with new records: my 30th anniversary has terrible surface noise, and doesn't compare to an old canadian copy I have musically either...

great gig in the sky is clearly better on the latter.

sparrow
long player
long player

Re: Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon?

Post by sparrow » 19 May 2009 16:46

Axlinscotland wrote:
dudie wrote:Which Edition of Dark Side of the Moon would you recommend? I don't want anything pressed from digital masters.

The 30th aniversary edition that u can get at Amazon for £18 is amazing even better than later pressings or the one from acoustic sounds IMHO.

Cheers
I would agree with that.

MonkeyBoy
long player
long player

Post by MonkeyBoy » 19 May 2009 18:55

I find this to be pretty amazing. Before this I had read a lot of opinions about Dark Side of The Moon 's 30th Anniversary pressing and most of the opinions were decidedly negative. On this forum there are clearly a fair number of people who enjoy it. I wonder why the difference. The only version I have left is the Mobile Fidelity version (not the UHQR) and I have no interest in buying a different version. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to spring the dough, you might try for one of those. I would imagine they go for a pretty penny, though. This is one of those albums which fetches prices far beyond it's intrinsic value, and I assume the UHQR would be just downright prohibitively expensive. I'll just stick with what I've got.

dudie

Post by dudie » 19 May 2009 18:58

dragonwhip wrote:I find this to be pretty amazing. Before this I had read a lot of opinions about Dark Side of The Moon 's 30th Anniversary pressing and most of the opinions were decidedly negative. On this forum there are clearly a fair number of people who enjoy it. I wonder why the difference. The only version I have left is the Mobile Fidelity version (not the UHQR) and I have no interest in buying a different version. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you want to spring the dough, you might try for one of those. I would imagine they go for a pretty penny, though. This is one of those albums which fetches prices far beyond it's intrinsic value, and I assume the UHQR would be just downright prohibitively expensive. I'll just stick with what I've got.
I believe I will try for the MFSL - I recently got a copy of Ziggy Stardust from 72 and it is amazing.

blisteringbarnacles

Post by blisteringbarnacles » 19 May 2009 19:48

not just me then, which is kind of reassuring (sorry dudie!).

are new pressings really so inconsistent... (yes: just like old ones :oops: )?

anyway, my copy is truly poor.

TheArc

Post by TheArc » 19 May 2009 21:02

I have a second press with the blue triangle, a fairly duff green harvest label press and the 30th anniversary edition and while the original sounds good, the 30th anniversary sounds much better (even apart from lack of nicks and the odd bit of crackle on the original). The 30th is well worth getting IMO.

Axlinscotland

Post by Axlinscotland » 19 May 2009 21:03

Sounds like there is a difference between the UK and the USA pressings...

Cheers

dudie

Post by dudie » 19 May 2009 21:05

Axlinscotland wrote:Sounds like there is a difference between the UK and the USA pressings...

Cheers
I'll have to get a used one and let it roll.

Finger Painter

Post by Finger Painter » 19 May 2009 22:38

The 30th Anni pressing I have is superb in all aspects.

I originally bought it to breathe a bit longer life in to my original release and to give the poor soul a rest.

I can't complain and love every minute of the 30th.

vincula2008
long player
long player
Spain

Post by vincula2008 » 19 May 2009 22:58

Finger Painter wrote:The 30th Anni pressing I have is superb in all aspects.

I originally bought it to breathe a bit longer life in to my original release and to give the poor soul a rest.

Any link/store where I can purchase this one at a reasonable cost? European address is preferable, due to shipping and taxes.
I'm getting interested, as I never had the chance to buy any originals back in those days (guess I wasn't even mentally designed by my progenitors) and my dad had a hang for lousy Spanish Rolling wannabees only.
As always, appreciated. I'm a lazy surfer these days...

Regards,

Vincula

Axlinscotland

Post by Axlinscotland » 19 May 2009 23:09

vincula2008 wrote:
Finger Painter wrote:The 30th Anni pressing I have is superb in all aspects.

Any link/store where I can purchase this one at a reasonable cost? European address is preferable, due to shipping and taxes.
I'm getting interested, as I never had the chance to buy any originals back in those days (guess I wasn't even mentally designed by my progenitors) and my dad had a hang for lousy Spanish Rolling wannabees only.
As always, appreciated. I'm a lazy surfer these days...

Regards,

Vincula
Hi vincula

I think the only way to get it here in UK is on Ebay or Amazon.co.uk, they don't have it on hmv or play, probably Amazon.fr stocks it and they send it to you in Snatander.

Cheers